Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-01-2013, 08:52   #1
Resting in Peace

At Last

At last judges with some sense. Judges at the high court upheld an appeal by a woman who had been stopped from wearing a crucifix around her neck at work because it may offend other religions, about time too
vecrra, BERNADETTE and westendlass like this.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-01-2013, 10:21   #2
Senior Member+

Re: At Last

It was actually the European Court of Human Rights that made the ruling.

Very sensible, as was their dismissal of the dreadful homophobic claims that were also made to them.
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 10:23   #3

She should have just said it was a plane, seen from above.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 15:17   #4
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
At last judges with some sense. Judges at the high court upheld an appeal by a woman who had been stopped from wearing a crucifix around her neck at work because it may offend other religions, about time too
And for the Eurosceptic readers this was a decision handed down by the European law makers. I totally agree that it is "About time too". Our Court knocked this ladies claim down. Being in Europe does have its advatages!
ocuana1939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 16:06   #5
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocuana1939 View Post
And for the Eurosceptic readers this was a decision handed down by the European law makers. I totally agree that it is "About time too". Our Court knocked this ladies claim down. Being in Europe does have its advatages!
...but not many.
Old 16-01-2013, 16:16   #6
God Member

not religous but she has every right to wear a cross in a christian country especially as some clown can demand to see my passport when re-entering the country wearing a burkah

my comment of show me your face ill show you mine wasnt met with much warmth infact a man cam eover tapping at his machine gun as to indicate i should move along lol

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 16:17   #7
Senior Member+

Common sense has prevailed
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 16:19   #8
God Member

oh bollox now were gonna get jones on here using this as a reason why we should be in the EU

damn it

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 17:35   #9
Senior Member+

I have wondered. When they ask you to swear on the bible etc... What If you are not a believer? Could I swear upon something else and have it count?
Old 16-01-2013, 17:59   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
...but not many.
Too right Wyn, the minuses certainly out strip the pluses by a long chalk and if we weren't in the mishmass we'd be better off still
Old 16-01-2013, 18:02   #11
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
I have wondered. When they ask you to swear on the bible etc... What If you are not a believer? Could I swear upon something else and have it count?
Yes Rob, in a law court you can affirm - but hope you never have to...

Giving evidence in court | nidirect
Old 16-01-2013, 18:05   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
you can refuse to swear on the bible in a court of law, it was once discussed at length on I think Panorama, if your an atheist whats the point of swearing on something you don't believe in
Old 16-01-2013, 18:12   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
you can refuse to swear on the bible in a court of law, it was once discussed at length on I think Panorama, if your an atheist whats the point of swearing on something you don't believe in
Evangelical Christians are also sometimes unwilling to swear onthe bible as Jesus is reported to have dissuaded his disciples from swearing on anything "Let your yes be yes and your no be no" as they say (and sing).
egg&chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 18:16   #14
Beacon of light

Quote:
If you are a non believer you can affirm...instead of swearing.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 18:40   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
not religous but she has every right to wear a cross in a christian country especially as some clown can demand to see my passport when re-entering the country wearing a burkah

my comment of show me your face ill show you mine wasnt met with much warmth infact a man cam eover tapping at his machine gun as to indicate i should move along lol
Why would you be wearing a burkah ... I thought those were only for ugly women and suicide bombers.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..