Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2007, 18:35   #121
God Member

Re: At Last Something Like A Proper Sentence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
not really with you on that Extremeism is Extremeism whatever the aim.
Terrorists don't tend to be trying to make a particular statement other than wanting to be martyrs of some sort.
Extremeists tend to be imposing their views on everyone else in radical ways.

Thats my diffrentiation anyway. It doesn't really have set definitions agreed by everyone anyway as I said earlier.

Extremeism isn't necessarily terrorism as u can be extremeist about something without the violence, i.e extremist/fundamentalist catholicism doesnt necessarily use violent methods to get their point across.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-07-2007, 18:38   #122
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

thought the terrorist statement was "Kill The Infidels"
Old 05-07-2007, 18:40   #123
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
thought the terrorist statement was "Kill The Infidels"
They don't really have much of a reason for doing it though, no set motives or reasonings behind what they do. They just aim to cause 'terror' amongst the rest of society.
Extremeists usually have a set purpose, reasons, justifications, the lot.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 18:46   #124
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

What a load of bog this thread has descended to...
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 18:47   #125
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
What a load of bog this thread has descended to...
was thinking that meself
Old 05-07-2007, 18:51   #126
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
They don't really have much of a reason for doing it though, no set motives or reasonings behind what they do. They just aim to cause 'terror' amongst the rest of society.
Of course terrorists have reasons for what they do. Otherwise they would be merely sociopaths. Nor are their motives random, or is reasoning absent. What people tend to object to is not only the terror, but also the motives behind it. I do believe, altho' I could be wrong and I'm too lazy to check, that it was Henry Kissinger who observed "one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter."
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 18:55   #127
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
ah but they do i think,to me right n wrong is determind by the Law of the Land. some fools say its determind by the bible,if we go down that line,then the radicals believe its ok to Be-head people, this aint an anti-religion comment from a non- believer,its commonsense.
Old 05-07-2007, 19:09   #128
Beacon of light

I read one story today about a chap who raped a young girl and he is being deported back to Pakistan.......now that is what I call realistic treatment.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 19:11   #129
Beacon of light

And how did this thread get to be about extremists...be they muslim or Peta?
I thought it was about the Judiciary dishing out sentences. Did I miss something along the way?
Old 05-07-2007, 19:44   #130
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
And how did this thread get to be about extremists...be they muslim or Peta?
I thought it was about the Judiciary dishing out sentences. Did I miss something along the way?
I think maybe it has something to do with including all of those types that for some reason people would like to see dangling from a rope. But there again murder in itself is a little extreme.
Old 05-07-2007, 19:51   #131
Senior Member+

I would think that most criminals or for that matter terrorists "believe" that they have very good reasons for carrying out their crimes; eg "the voices told me to do it", "Allah told me to do it", " I needed the money" , "she was asking for it" etc etc etc. Surely the problem arises when these individuals are so distanced from reality that they actually believe their reason is a totallly acceptable one and then go on to commit their crimes.?
Old 05-07-2007, 19:55   #132

Quote:
I think of PETA as extremist animal protesters, not terrorists. They have more of a purpose to their actions than your stereotypical terrorist who just wants to cause terror and nothing else. I dont agree with what peta stand for anyway but I just dont regard them as a terrorist, as their purpose has a bit more depth than that.

If that makes sense

Methinks one has PETA confused wit the ALF.

PETA was the organisation that had the campaign of rather go nude than wear fur.
Stanaccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 20:05   #133

And to go slightly back on track .

THe death sentence has never been a useful deterent as once one has killed they are more likely to kill again as where is the deterent then. You can't kill anybody more than once (not yet anyway).

Also in cases of extreme terrorism the thought of martyrdom is quite an appealing thought.
Stanaccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 20:49   #134
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanaccy View Post
And to go slightly back on track .

THe death sentence has never been a useful deterent as once one has killed they are more likely to kill again as where is the deterent then. You can't kill anybody more than once (not yet anyway).

Also in cases of extreme terrorism the thought of martyrdom is quite an appealing thought.
Don't worry, the Americans are working on ways to execute people more than once. They already give multiple murderers multiple life sentences. Now they have to find a way of keeping them alive to serve the 300 years or so they have been sentenced to. There is always hanging, drawing, and quartering thing. That is pretty close to killing someone more than once. Much more fun to watch than reality tv.
Old 05-07-2007, 21:24   #135
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod View Post
I would think that most criminals or for that matter terrorists "believe" that they have very good reasons for carrying out their crimes; eg "the voices told me to do it", "Allah told me to do it", " I needed the money" , "she was asking for it" etc etc etc. Surely the problem arises when these individuals are so distanced from reality that they actually believe their reason is a totallly acceptable one and then go on to commit their crimes.?
Rationalisation and denial are two of the ways that these people cope with their crimes...although in the case of terrorists I think it is more a situation of imposing their will on the population, using violent means.If terrorists all wore army uniforms then we would be able to defend ourselves against them.....but they don't...and that is what makes defence so difficult........and Just because they believe in something doesn't make it true.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..