Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2004, 13:25   #1

Atkins

Anybody out there doing the Atkins Diet who might like to give recipes that they have tried and liked, in return for some from me?
Also to say how they have managed on The Atkins
alfee is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-03-2004, 13:39   #2
God Member

Re: Atkins

It's a quack diet - don't even think about it.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 13:49   #3
mez
God Member

ive got a couple of friends who have done it &swear by it, personally i wont even try it, at the end of the day its just training yourself to eat healthy.
Old 08-03-2004, 19:34   #4
Accy Goddess

Cant possibly see how the atkins diet can be healthy. All that fat.
The only way to loose weight and keep it off is by sensible eating.
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 21:24   #5

I`ve spent quite a lot of time studying the pro`s and con`s of Atkins and checked up on good and bad comments concerning Atkins and feel that if you follow the guidelines in the new revised book you will be OK.
I`ve lost 6lb in my first week and have never felt better...But thats me, it may not work for everybody.
Old 09-03-2004, 07:50   #6
God Member

You'll put it straight back on as soon as you revert to a balanced diet.
Old 09-03-2004, 08:38   #7
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Good luck on your diet. I'm very lucky as I've never had to do a diet, I do know a few people who have done Atkins, and they've all put the weight straight back on after, and one or two of them have felt quite ill while doing the diet. On the plus side, they did all lose some weight on it. Right, anyone know what time the chippy opens??
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 21:54   #8

Thank`s Lettie I`ll update you on the new me in a couple of weeks.
Old 09-03-2004, 22:19   #9
Accy Goddess

Good luck with the diet alfee. So long has it works for you thats all that matters. But has T. says be prepared to put some or all of the weight back on when you start eating properly again.
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 16:11   #10
God Member

I have been on Atkins for over a year now. My wife for about 9 months. My blood pressure has dropped from seriously high 160/100 to a perfect 120/78. I have lost 3 stone. My chloresterol has also changed significantly for the better.

The problem with 98% of people who slag Atkins off know very little about it. They tend to focus purely on Induction which is meant to be the first 2 weeks - 6 months only. Eventually after going through all the stages you are on a diet where you supply your body with the exact amount of carbs that it needs on a daily basis. What can be more balanced that finding out your bodys exact requirements and giving it just that. no more no less. As for when you go back to normal eating, if you have read the book you would know that the lifetime maintainance stage is just that , for LIFE!

It may not work for everyone but it works for me and my wife. We eat very well indeed, but being a qualified chef helps!
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 16:33   #11
God Member

Are you on commission? How Much?
Old 01-04-2004, 18:07   #12
Accrington Web Mascot

I understand that you don't eat carbs so that the body uses the stored fat for energy. What I don't understand is that at the same time your eating more fat!

No diets are healthy - you've just got to eat a balanced range of food. (Although if they do invent a one-a-day fat free tablet I'm first in line)
ShortStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 22:57   #13
Senior Member+

Entwisi thank goodness you spoke out ! I have had the same experience , Lost 4 stone and felt fantastic and against what everyone PRESUMES got very healthy in the process, The thing is Doctors dont know what happens in our stomachs!! Just because we get FAT they blame it on our eating FAT, but the atkins proves that wrong and is making the EXPERTS think again.. Please dont knock something unless you are 100% sure why!!
simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 08:10   #14

I have found the atkins very easy to do with none of the usual cravings that you get with dieting.....But I have had problems with painfull night time leg cramps so I have had to ease up a bit even though I have been using suppliments.
12 LBS lost in 4 Weeks
Old 02-04-2004, 15:55   #15
Senior Member+

Well done Alfee.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..