Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2004, 09:37   #16
Always EVIL within us

Thumbs down Re: [b]rubbish Tip[b]

First, apologies for messing up the thread title, (Thank you Gobsmacked for your future advice) The main reason I brought this subject up was that this weekend, my 2 daughters are visiting me from Bedfordshire for the first time in Accie.

I have raved on about how nice the people are up here and how lovely Accie is but unless the wind blows away the rubbish by tomorrow (or the street cleaners appear?) I am going to be really embarrassed by what I consider to be my home town!

If you would consider an approach to the council Willow, you have my full backing and support.
Busman747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-07-2004, 11:40   #17

Re: [b]rubbish Tip[b]

I am confused.....why does Willows Lane have wheelie bins for starters?! If a bag fell out of a wheelie bin then it wouldn't neccessarily burst - which leads me to think that the bin bags are not being tied therefore opening and spilling contents all over the street when dropped. Of course the bin guys should clear it up but people could help by fastening the bags if this is the case.

I usually put my bins out in the morning - but missed out last week when they decided to come an hour early when I was on the school run.............
Old 09-07-2004, 12:34   #18
Resident Waffler

I suppose Willows Lane has wheelie bins because Hyndburn Council wants us to have wheelie bins. They gave us wheelie bins and took our little old bins away the first week of wheelie collection. It's probably something to do with the type of collection trucks they use now where the bin clips onto the back and is tipped by the truck itself.

I remember when big wagons used to have a brush poking out from some hole or other so that the bin men could sweep up any mess they accidentally made but that was in the good old days.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 12:40   #19
Resident Waffler

If bags can burst being dropped over mattylad's back gate then I'm sure they just as easily burst if they are dropped out of the bin wagon. It's not so much the technicalities of how it gets there as why the bin men won't pick it up that annoys me. It's in my garden and it isn't my rubbish. It could be contaminated with goodness knows what for all I know! Not to mention having to walk through it on the way up the street.

Old 09-07-2004, 14:12   #20

I still recommend capturing the offending workers on film, that should prove where the rubbish is coming from once & for all.

I wish I could use a wheelie bin, although I was not keen when they first arrived in Burnley I can see how they can help.

Although with a family of 5 & a very poor recycling scheme in Burnley the std sized bin would be too small. Not that I could use one, my back yard was altered to fit a new kitchen/extension in & a single back gate cannot be opened more than 45 degrees, so a wheelie bin cannot fit through without doing some heavy alterations to the concrete steps leading up from it. thats why I am still on bags. & they split because I am dropping them 6' onto pavement slabs (and because they are very cheaply made).

Burnley now looks to be stopping any household recycling collections, pity I was just getting the rest of the family trained at washing out glass & recycling it. Now I'm going to have to make special trips in a car which will use more energy than will be saved in the recycling

In Burnley, if we have big items to get rid of or a yard that needs clearing we can order a community skip & although it usually can only be left during 1 day (otherwise it gets fired) its useful. Mind you we get backlogs & I had to take 2 car fulls to the dump this weekend.

Willow, can you tell how its being blown into your garden, do you have a fence, can you put netting up to keep it out? I know thats not getting at the root of the problem, but then that what the taking photo's is for.
mattylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 14:27   #21
Resident Waffler

It's just a small front garden with a wall. It comes in through the wrought iron gate and over the wall when its a windy day like this Wednesday was.

Old 09-07-2004, 14:33   #22
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattylad
a single back gate cannot be opened more than 45 degrees, so a wheelie bin cannot fit through without doing some heavy alterations to the concrete steps leading up from it. thats why I am still on bags.
How would you go on if your council announced they would no longer take bin bags and delivered a wheelie bin or two? Apparently it's something to do with bin men not lifting bags up into trucks any more but just hooking the wheelie bin on and letting the truck do the lifting. They are not supposed to take things that aren't in the wheelie bin but I think in some cases they have done. I know at Christmas I had a lot of extra rubbish and they hadn't been one week so I rang up to find out what would happen and the woman I spoke to said just put bags next to the bin and they will be collected too as a one off.

In some cases people here have a green bin as well as a black one. The green one is for garden waste but they tell me I don't have a garden so I can only have a black one. That thing at the front of the house with a small wall doesn't qualify as a garden according to HBC.

Old 09-07-2004, 16:55   #23
God Member

You must remember not to put anything in the Binman's Christmas box when they come knocking at the door in December. Failing that, dropping litter in the street is a criminal offence & so I suggest you get the community cops round and hiding in the bushes so when the binmen drop the rubbish they can leap out, yell "Gotcha", arrest 'em and earn a few brownie points.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 17:10   #24
Resident Waffler

I'd already decided there won't be any Christmas pressies.

Old 09-07-2004, 18:56   #25

I would have thought that connecting wheelie bins to whatever mechanism would take longer than just picking the bin bags out from normal bins and chucking them in! I still wonder why Willows Lane has them and I don't...not that I'm arsed...just wondering...I still have the old-school bins and there isn't any problem around my area as far as I'm aware.

Why do councils have to complicate things? Why not just have old-style bins - everyone puts their rubbish into bin bags inside said bins...that way there is no chance of 'spillage'. Progress eh.....?
Old 09-07-2004, 19:34   #26
Resident Waffler

If it were a case of preference I'd rather not have a wheelie bin and just have my bin bags because there really isn't room in my yard with everything else for this lumping great black thing. The "bin hole" where the bags used to go is still there and surplus to requirements now but I can't incorporate it into the yard because it's a shared hole.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..