Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2004, 16:39   #1
Always EVIL within us

Angry [b]rubbish Tip[b]

Driving home from work today, two things occurred to me. The first being that the road I was driving up (Willows Lane) has [B]HUGE[B] amounts of rubbish blowing down the street...........

And secondly, that this happens every Wednesday/Thursday always after the refuse collecters have been round.

It seems to me that either there are people in or around that area who consistently do not use their wheely bin or more likely that the council workers are negligent in their job!

Do they have inspectors here? Does anyone else have similar problems in Accie?
Busman747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-07-2004, 16:51   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: [b]rubbish Tip[b]

Yes we have the same problem
our street is a tip and the back is even worse
and its nothing to do with the bins
as this is every day
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 17:08   #3
Resident Waffler

I can speak for the Willows Lane area where it ISN'T an everyday thing. It's nearly every Wednesday which as Busman says is the day the bins are emptied. Sometimes I feel like they are emptied into my front garden!!!

It's been so bad sometimes that I've phoned the council but their response is that once it's inside my garden gate it's MY rubbish regardless of how it got there and whose bin it came from.

This week because it's been windy there seems to be a whole bin load blowing up and down the road. Sometimes if you're lucky you even get the black bin bag to go with it.

All this is in addition to the general amounts of rubbish dropped by schoolkids etc and assorted chip/kebab wrappers and polystyrene trays with plastic forks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rubbish.JPG (44.2 KB, 42 views)

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 21:19   #4

Ye gods Willow if I had to live with that rubbish outside my garden I'd gather it up and go and dump it outside the council offices.
Gobsmacked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 21:24   #5
Resident Waffler

Don't tempt me Gobsmacked. lol

Now if there ever is rubbish outside the council offices they'll think it's me. I wonder if it blows that far down Ormerod St or if it's all in other people's gardens long before it reaches there.

Is that your front door in the avatar?

Old 08-07-2004, 23:03   #6
Senior Member+

That Photo willow says it alll send it to the council....................but dont hold your breath for a reply
simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 04:30   #7
God Member

Hmmm, Thirty years of this sort of thing - and they throw a party to celebrate!!
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 04:45   #8

Will,
It's disgusting and obviously something started by the rubbish collection. Tell the council that you've seen a number of vermin encouraged by the spreading of left-overs in Willows Lane (that'll get them to come out to see the area).

I'd also get as much media attention that I could and your photo is a good start. Start a campaign, you've already got a bus driver as a material witness .

Never mind an Art Object in Broadway....get the streets clean first.
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 06:43   #9
Resident Waffler

Maybe I should let Accy Observer use the photo. What do you think?

Old 09-07-2004, 07:41   #10

Despite the councils comments on who's responsibility the rubbish is once its in your garden, if you were to do the same to them they would certainly involve the police.

Can you get someone with a camera to wait around until the refuse collectors come around & catch them in the act of making a mess? That would then be even better ammunition to get the council to clean up thier act.

Also, it may not actually be the refuse collectors fault you know, as plastic bin bags are so thin these days that when full they break apart very easily.
I have a back gate that is very hard to open so I have to drop them over it & they often split when they land (if not aready) so I have to nip round the house to pick up the rubbish afterwards.

Mind you I have neighbours that just dont bother putting there rubbish out for the refuse collectors, they just put it out, does not matter what day or if its in a bin bag
mattylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 07:52   #11

Its because the wheelie bins are only collected every two weeks and this builds a lot of rubbish up and peoples bins may be full so they put the rubbish at the side of the bin, but the bin men dont take it and leave it. That could be the problem.
slater_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 07:56   #12

I think I know ONE reason behing this...Surely rubbish goes in whatever bin in the house, then when full they get emptied into a bin liner which then goes into your big bin in the back garden/yard. They then get put out on the back alley the night before collection to be collected in the morning. Following this reasoning if the householder has done this dilligently then there should be no reason for loose litter, but then you need to factor in the menace of cats! If there's any modicum of chicken, fish etc. in the bin liners they will tear 'em open overnight and rummage through them thereby depositing loose litter everywhere.

Kill 'em all I say! (Tongue in cheek...)
Old 09-07-2004, 08:35   #13
Resident Waffler

In Willows Lane we have black wheelie bins. The bin men (refuse operatives or whatever the PC term is these days) don't even have to touch the contents whether they are in black bin bags or not. The wheelie bins are emptied every Wednesday (apart from Bank Holidays etc) by being hooked up to the back of the truck and then tipped in. This wasn't a torn-open-by-cats type bin bag. It was a dropped-by-the-bin-men-and-rolled-down-the-road-spilling-contents type bin bag. (Which seems to happen after they have tipped the bin's contents into the truck) The contents of the opened bag then blew all over the place.

The wheelie bins are put out either the night before or the morning of the collection. The bags are in the wheelie bins. At no time are they ever available for cats/foxes/rats or anything else to have a go at. The rubbish only appears after the contents of the wheelie bins have been tipped into the truck.

Yes I believe the council would have me for fly tipping if I did the same to them so how come this happens on such a regular basis?

Talking of fly tipping I can understand why people do that now. As a responsible rubbish disposer who had ammassed a small pile of junk (ie bits of old broken stuff) I phoned the council to ask if they could please collect it. They couldn't because they weren't taking any requests at present due to a backlog but suggested if I have transport I could take it to the tip. We hired a trailer, plonked it all in and trundled off up Whinney Hill. Were we praised for being responsible citizens? No, we were criticised for bringing too much rubbish!

Please tell me what we are supposed to do with it if not take it to the tip? Isn't that what the tip is there for?

Old 09-07-2004, 08:44   #14

Its because people cant fit all their rubbish into the bins so they put it next to the bin, but the binmen wont pick it up and just leave it there.
slater_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 09:25   #15

Rubbish is not just a problem in Accy or the UK. In Germany we have at least 4 bins. Blue for paper, Brown for Bio waste (veg peelings, bits of garden waste etc, Yellow (not everybody gets one of these) for packaging (plastic, yoghurt cups, foil tops, etc, and Black for general waste and other rubbish. The Blue bin is collected monthly, the Brown one every 2 weeks, the Yellow one every 2 weeks and the Black one every other week. Any extra rubbish once the bin is full, will only be collected in specially marked bags that have to be collected from the council and paid for.
Oversize rubbish (settee's chairs etc,) must be taken to the refuse tip and PAID for by volume or weight.
If there is any mess once the bin men have just visited, a simple phone call to the council will result in either (a) the council sending somebody to clear it up (normally within 1 hour) or (b) the Refuse truck is made to come back(with its original crew) and clear it up. They do not get paid for this time and are warned that any further mess will result in a reduction of their wages. I know this to be true as a neighbour complained last year and again this year....since then .......no mess at all.
Mind you, with these strick rules, waste collection and disposal is expensive...and guess who has to pay....That's right...Joe Soap (but we make sure we get our monies worth!!)

Its your council that needs a shake up!!
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..