Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-01-2013, 20:25   #46

Re: Bad Drivers In Bad Weather

I encountered a bad driver the other night. The roads were really quite bad, and I was coming onto a roundabout where the left-hand lane (left hand turn only) was thick of snow, the middle and right hand ones were bad, but not AS bad-that route's just busier. I was driving in this snow, very slowly and carefully and some moron who obviously had zero patience, decided that instead of staying behind me where he was, it would be better to go into the middle lane and then overtake me! So I'm driving, trying to not skid , and all of a sudden there's a car right next to me, in the wrong lane, trying to get past.... What an IDIOT. What bothered me more was he had a child in the passenger seat, and I was being very careful but with the conditions and him being far too close as well as in the wrong lane already, I could have quite easily skidded into him, or he could have into me. For the sake of a few moments time..... Rant over, as you were!
Old 28-01-2013, 20:36   #47
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
are you a bad driver if you run a pedo over ?
No. Maybe an instrument of the God mentioned by Shurm in #39. God works in mysterious ways ... etc.

By the way, it's a nasty little day we are having in K'town. A warm front moved in and brought lots of snow mixed with freezing rain. Traffic moving more or less normaly; drivers slowing down and leaving more room between them and the car in front. Pizza delivery times ... add five minutes City plows are out, probably all 25 of them, doing their ususal fine job. Real snow plows ... big mothers. As it says on the city web site: "When it starts to snow, plows start to go"

City of Kingston, Ontario, Canada - Snow Removal on Streets and Sidewalks
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 09:08   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmouse0707 View Post
...decided that instead of staying behind me where he was, it would be better to go into the middle lane and then overtake me! So I'm driving, trying to not skid , and all of a sudden there's a car right next to me, in the wrong lane, trying to get past.... What an IDIOT
When I was mentoring my stepdaughter before she passed her test, we were approaching the Dunk from the Clayton side and were stopped at the lights. She didn't stall, but she didn't exactly burn rubber when the lights changed, but the idiot behind us decided she wasn't moving fast enough and drove into that big bus layby to overtake us on the left.

This morning, I've experienced:
  1. someone ignoring a zebra crossing that I'd already stopped at (someone was about to cross)
  2. someone overtaking and having to dive back into our lane because of a traffic island
  3. the person being overtaken in #2 driving at 36-40 in a 50 zone, then continuing at the same speed when the limit dropped to 30
  4. two drivers 10 feet apart doing approx 45 in a 30 zone, going straight over a roundabout near a school
This is all in a 10-minute journey from Great Harwood to Rishton and back. I don't think that there are more idiots on the road during bad weather - they just upset you more because you've got less control than you're comfortable with.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 10:39   #49

I'm not going to argue with that one!I guess there's always bad drivers-just consequences are more likely when conditions are bad so it makes it seem worse!
Old 29-01-2013, 11:32   #50
Senior Member+

I was taking a friend back up Broadfield on Friday evening and as we went up Feilden lane there were a couple of kids stood in the road trying to stop cars.
In the park area by the road side were more kids and when cars stopped they were throwing snowballs at them.
We stopped to have a go at the kids but they ran off, I got going again OK (new 4X4 first time in snow) but when I came back down there were three cars sideways on across the road, really stuck.
There was a gritter coming down behind me so I nipped to the right and down Hawthorne
avenue out of the way.
Old 29-01-2013, 11:37   #51
God Member

at the lights at dill hall service station leading up dill hall the 3rd lane to turn right towards kfc is often used to go straight on in an attempt to get past the car in the correct lane who shouldnt have to worry about what the car to their right is up to.

needless to say the last idiot that tried it with me severly underestimated my car and nearly ended up eating traffic island after performing an emergency stop
Shurm likes this.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 13:00   #52

Nice one

The other week I was coming down to those lights to turn right on Dunkenhalgh Way and a massive lorry was coming up in the inside lane at speed, good job I didn't turn ....... He went straight up Dill Hall !!!

Last edited by Shurm; 29-01-2013 at 13:04.
Shurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 14:22   #53
God Member

articulated lorrys jump red lights all the time at dill hall and whitebirk as well as cars but the county council refuse to do a damn thing about it .I guess when enough people get killed to reach the required target of deaths something will be done but i would have thought prevention would be preferable.

lancashire county councils standpoint is that traffic light cameras arnt used and were removed from places that had them like in preston because the person following the offender through the red light may collide with the offending car if the offending car slams on because of teh camera flash.They refused to explain why it should matter as teh second car was been even more wreckless by following a car that has already jumped a red light

the only person out of the many i rang that showed any interest was ken moss who isnt really in any position to deal with it as it is a county council issue not local council.He did find out that they have extended the time traffic lights stay on green at dill hall to keep traffic flowing but folk still jump red lights.

traffic law is a joke in this country you can put any wrek on the road,park anywhere you like such as zig zags,jump red lights and be pretty sure you wont get nicked unless you happen to be doing 3 mph over 30mph going past a grey pole with a yellow box

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 29-01-2013 at 14:27.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 08:20   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
...traffic law is a joke in this country you can put any wrek on the road,park anywhere you like such as zig zags,jump red lights and be pretty sure you wont get nicked unless you happen to be doing 3 mph over 30mph going past a grey pole with a yellow box
I think you're being a bit unfair - the internet has become a richer place now so many people have dashboard cameras, and the relative lack of cars driving on the left suggests the speed, crashes etc in this country aren't a problem compared with the rest of the world.

Incidentally - drove the kid to school this morning 20mins earlier than usual (I'd normally be setting off now). Four incidents, again, but they were all people pulling out into the traffic without due consideration. One bloke pulled out behind me and almost managed to crash into two cars going in opposite directions!

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..