Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2006, 14:15   #1
God Member

Talking Bad Lads Army

I love this programme it ones of my favourites. A new series is due for starting on Tuesday evening. Looks like we've got a yokel lad in the programme
http://www.lancashireeveningtelegrap...ns_tv_army.php

I wonder how he will fair against the other bad lads of the country and whether he will actually last the course?

The best bit is when you've followed these lads ups and downs for 8 weeks and they make it to their Passing Out Parade, I swear I'm in tears everytime!

There is never a follow up to this programme though, on the lines of a 'where are they now' type programme. It would be great to see if the lads that appeared to have turned their life around and realised the errors of their ways whilst on the show, have actually gone on to do something meaningful with their lives.
Old 09-07-2006, 15:03   #2
Passed away 25-11-09

Re: Bad Lads Army

I've enjoyed the previous series but, being a contemporary of National Servicemen, having married an airman who joined up in 1959 and having an elder brother who did National Service in the army, I am pretty sure the experience of these lads is nowhere near as tough as the real thing used to be. I've seen them answer back NCOs who just.....let them. I've seen NCOs looking helpless in the face of insubordination. If my friends, my husband and my brother were to be believed, you got away with absolutely nothing on the parade ground (or off it, come to that).

Of course, these lads are there voluntarily, the army can't legally stop them if they decide to walk away. It's a good show and it gives them a taste of the discipline they're lacking but that's all it is, a show. The real thing might make a difference to them, it sometimes did in the past, but it's not real - it's just "reality" TV.
Old 09-07-2006, 15:24   #3
God Member

Oh I'm under no illusion that it's a toned down version of the real National Service, when all said and done it's as you say, for TV, they wouldn't get away with NCO's kicking ten bells out of them on TV which I presume would have gone on really for serious insubordination.

With most of the lads you can just tell there's actually a great lad under all that rebelliousness.
Old 09-07-2006, 15:51   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle
Oh I'm under no illusion that it's a toned down version of the real National Service, when all said and done it's as you say, for TV, they wouldn't get away with NCO's kicking ten bells out of them on TV which I presume would have gone on really for serious insubordination.

With most of the lads you can just tell there's actually a great lad under all that rebelliousness.
Toned down for tv and the fact that it might be classed as bullying and therefore the cowpats that go with. The "recruits2 may be hard on the street but this is a different ball game.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 16:41   #5
white rabbits

erm sounds like ive missed something good
Old 09-07-2006, 18:19   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyclaret
erm sounds like ive missed something good
Have you never seen Bad Lads Army Granny? If not you really are missing a treat, it's really good.

Yob culture comes face to face with 1950’s style National Service, as the influx of new Bad Lad recruits will be taught the fundamentals of gentlemen’s etiquette as they undergo officer training.
Old 09-07-2006, 18:23   #7
God Member

I think I remember that after one of the series one of the lads had proved he could turn himself around and was desperate to join the army but they turned him down.... cos of his criminal record!!!!

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 18:29   #8
God Member

Awwww! That seems unfair but ....... if it's the rules of the army. I think I remember which one it was, was he a little italian looking guy?
Old 09-07-2006, 18:34   #9
God Member

can't remember which one it was just remember the bit about one of them wanting to sign up and not being allowed to

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 21:27   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
I love this programme it ones of my favourites. A new series is due for starting on Tuesday evening. Looks like we've got a yokel lad in the programme
http://www.lancashireeveningtelegraph.co.uk/news/hyndburnnews/hyndburnheadlines/display.var.824601.0.bad_lad_samuel_joins_tv_army. php

I wonder how he will fair against the other bad lads of the country and whether he will actually last the course?
Sorry Tinks can't quite get worked up about some chav who's more then likely has ruined a few peoples life with theft and damage.
Quote:
Samuel, now 21, joined 30 lads, aged 18 to 24, who between them have notched up more than 2,000 days in prison, 2,500 hours of community service, and more than £30,000 in fines.

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 21:29   #11
Senior Member+

I think we should use National Service/Bad Lads Army instead of some prison sentences and certainly Community Sentences. Rather than the Uni of Crime and high re-offending rates we should be giving people discipline, structure, skills and pride. Not sure the Armed Forces would want the task.

With all the dodgy deaths ie Deepcut, I think it is foolish to suggest there is 'not enough kicking the sh1t out of people' due to bleeding heart liberals. Just think of those who joined up only to lose their life and the hands of some ANTI-PC MORON.

Last edited by g jones; 09-07-2006 at 21:34.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 21:32   #12
God Member

Give it then to a company of ex soldiers to run it. Then again that might be considered inhuman by some.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 22:00   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazf
Sorry Tinks can't quite get worked up about some chav who's more then likely has ruined a few peoples life with theft and damage.
No probs Bazf, I can see your point but I'm all for those that genuinely want a little help getting their life back on track. Some of these lads aren't in the show because they have criminal convictions, some are just social nightmares and others just can't keep their 'wotsit' in their pants.
Old 09-07-2006, 22:54   #14
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle
No probs Bazf, I can see your point but I'm all for those that genuinely want a little help getting their life back on track. Some of these lads aren't in the show because they have criminal convictions, some are just social nightmares and others just can't keep their 'wotsit' in their pants.
Wotsits???

Do they still make those tasty, bright orange, corn snacks?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 09:46   #15
God Member

I love this programme its really good to see the ones that stick it out do their passing out ...but im one who believes that all young lads and lassies should do a spell of forces training when they leave school ..if only basic .. think there would be a lot more respect around from our youths of today..And no im not implying that all kids are the same but a lot of kids out there dont have the respect for their parents let alone society as well
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..