Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-10-2011, 11:42   #151
I am Banned

Re: Bad Reporting???

Bit off topic i know, but Groove thinks in 10 years the Accy observer will no longer exist. An online version will take its place. This could be beneficial if the page is run by local journalists, but Groove will miss the great institution of the Observer which is has been part of Fridays for as long as he an remember.
groove is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-10-2011, 13:45   #152
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove View Post
Bit off topic i know, but Groove thinks in 10 years the Accy observer will no longer exist. An online version will take its place. This could be beneficial if the page is run by local journalists, but Groove will miss the great institution of the Observer which is has been part of Fridays for as long as he an remember.

How will this online version pay for itself?
Currently the paper copy will pay the costs for the online version.
Old 26-10-2011, 14:12   #153
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
How will this online version pay for itself?
Currently the paper copy will pay the costs for the online version.
Groove thinks advertising, and maybe a small fee...50p would cover it, considering the savings made on printing paper, delivery costs etc....Groove believes the internet will be the worlds most important way of putting the news out, and could be updated by the minute instead of waiting weekly for the Observer...Groove thinks this is the inevitable way forward.
groove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 15:40   #154
Full Member+

One of the great things about online newspapers is that readers can have their say about an article by posting their own comments....some of them are hilarious!!
steve2qec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 17:43   #155
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve2qec View Post
One of the great things about online newspapers is that readers can have their say about an article by posting their own comments....some of them are hilarious!!
Love the telegraph for that steve, that's the LT, get some real laughs especially in the footy section
Old 27-10-2011, 08:26   #156
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove View Post
Groove thinks advertising, and maybe a small fee...50p would cover it, considering the savings made on printing paper, delivery costs etc....Groove believes the internet will be the worlds most important way of putting the news out, and could be updated by the minute instead of waiting weekly for the Observer...Groove thinks this is the inevitable way forward.
Neil thinks it will be quite a few years before that happens because no one has yet found a good model to base online subscriptions and advertisements on.

Neil can't think of an online paper that is not mainly funded by its paper copy.
Old 27-10-2011, 08:44   #157
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Neil thinks it will be quite a few years before that happens because no one has yet found a good model to base online subscriptions and advertisements on.

Neil can't think of an online paper that is not mainly funded by its paper copy.
I agree with that Neil, don't know the figures, but I not longer bother with the Telegraph, I think they have about four different rates for online readers, but I don't need to read a newspaper that badly to pay a fee for the privilege, after all there is enough news outlets on TV, which we already pay for through the licence fee or subscriptions

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..