Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-08-2008, 10:40   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Bad Reporting???

dunno if its just during the hols but they took all the kids to little treasures last week.... that reports awful! I wouldnt send my kid there!

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-08-2008, 11:26   #17
Senior Member+

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...les-32977.html

There The Thread.
Nickelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2008, 11:37   #18
God Member

Claire Cal is not the owner, think she just knows the woman who is. They now have till September to sort things out before another inspection
Old 17-08-2008, 12:22   #19
God Member

Are you sure that this report is about a modern day Nursery in Accrington and not a Romanian Orphanage.............. having a child of pre school age this makes grim reading.
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2008, 10:11   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by keetah992000 View Post
if children are polish/asian/arabic or basically do not speak english a a first language at home than english is classed as a additional language -i suppose that this is one plus if they are being supported as it is often hard for children for whom english isnt a first language to settle at a nursery .

I dont know what to think about this report - it doesnt sound as if the actions are maliciously being done - it looks like a nursery that has been opened without proper planning and perhaps too many children were enrolled at the start leaving not much time for planning and adjustment
I remember thinking i was seeing things when i saw this place on warner street as it does seem an odd place for a nursery.

Perhaps the owner thought it was a good place for a start up and were planning to move to bigger premises - what seems good on paper doesnt always work out in reality.
Good luck to them lets hope they are working hard to put things right. x
I got a different impression. I wonder how many of the staff are young and with minimum qualifications.
I also wonder how children with English as an additional language (interesting that they use the word additional not second) are supported. There are a number of implications here but I do not think we should pursue them without further knowledge
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2008, 10:34   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post
...with English as an additional language (interesting that they use the word additional not second)...
Spoken like a true Brit
Why would it have to be their second language? If they knew two others- how do you decide what order they go in?

Most people in Amsterdam speak Dutch, German, French and English. Which one would be their second language?

Last edited by Studio25; 18-08-2008 at 10:34. Reason: spelling malfunction
Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2008, 11:16   #22
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post
I got a different impression. I wonder how many of the staff are young and with minimum qualifications.
I also wonder how children with English as an additional language (interesting that they use the word additional not second) are supported. There are a number of implications here but I do not think we should pursue them without further knowledge
It doesnt work like that... by law there HAS to be a certain amount of each qualification level ( i cant think of the ratio off the top of my head) so there must be there right amount of level 3's for the nursery to be open. It doesnt sound like they take on students as the tutors have to visit the nursery so they would have been reported earlier for this..

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
Old 18-08-2008, 11:36   #23
God Member

Polly is quite right the staff are young well the ones i came into contact whom were working there were, tho would probably be on day release at college or recently qualified i presume & would be CRB checked by law.

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Stanleymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2008, 11:39   #24
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanleymad View Post
Polly is quite right the staff are young well the ones i came into contact whom were working there were, tho would probably be on day release at college or recently qualified i presume & would be CRB checked by law.
Staff have to be fully qualified.. students are crb checked.

Old 18-08-2008, 11:42   #25

One positive of the OFSTED report is that there were an adequate number of level 3 employees etc.
onlyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2008, 11:43   #26
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum23 View Post
Staff have to be fully qualified.. students are crb checked.
Not always, as long as u have experience of working with young children is also considered with a crb which maybe within the criteria dependant on how direct u are working within the environment.

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Stanleymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2008, 11:46   #27
Senior Member+

the unqualified ones work with the qualified ones....... you still have to have the right amount of qualified ones.

Old 18-08-2008, 11:46   #28
God Member

In the late 60s my son went to an LCC nursery.
Then they were for use by working mums, and not the haven for abused/neglected children, which they later became.
I do not know whether they still operate.
The 'qualification' for working in them was a 2 year full time training college course in Nursery Nursing.
It appears that standards have slipped a lot since then.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2008, 12:00   #29
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
In the late 60s my son went to an LCC nursery.
Then they were for use by working mums, and not the haven for abused/neglected children, which they later became.
I do not know whether they still operate.
The 'qualification' for working in them was a 2 year full time training college course in Nursery Nursing.
It appears that standards have slipped a lot since then.
I also think that part of the problem is a lack of proper education. Once of a day as you point out nursery nurses had to do two years full time training. Seems to me that standards are slipping.
Old 18-08-2008, 12:05   #30
Senior Member+

2 years full time or on the job training and college one night a week.... the one night a week option is only for mature students that can prove they have some experience already....the length of time you go one night a week depends on your experience and any qualifications you already have..... can be 1-3 years. Until you are fully qulified you are classed as a student so cant be left alone with the children.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..