Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-08-2008, 12:07   #31
God Member

Re: Bad Reporting???

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum23 View Post
2 years full time or on the job training and college one night a week.... the one night a week option is only for mature students that can prove they have some experience already....the length of time you go one night a week depends on your experience and any qualifications you already have..... can be 1-3 years. Until you are fully qulified you are classed as a student so cant be left alone with the children.
The difference between now and then -
until you had qualified you weren't allowed through the door!

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-08-2008, 12:11   #32
God Member

It appears that something isn't being done right at this nursery when even basic hygiene standards are not being followed. Doesn't seem like the training is working. Then again you shouldn't have to be trained to wash your hands after using the toilet. Seems common sense isn't being used either
Old 18-08-2008, 12:11   #33
God Member

Quote:
2 years full time or on the job training and college one night a week.... the one night a week option is only for mature students that can prove they have some experience already....the length of time you go one night a week depends on your experience and any qualifications you already have..... can be 1-3 years. Until you are fully qulified you are classed as a student so cant be left alone with the children.
Again therectical but not always the case, it depends on where u work, job type & who u work for as to their policies regarding their H&S guidelines etc having worked in the industry.

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Stanleymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2008, 12:13   #34
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
The difference between now and then -
until you had qualified you weren't allowed through the door!
Think then you did day release from college, you had to have practical experience but it was monitored much more strictly.
Old 18-08-2008, 12:13   #35
Senior Member+

ah... now you wont get a job without experience so all students do work experience..... you cant know how to look after children from reading a book and doing assignments, children dont work like that, you need to be around them.

who would you trust? An 18 year old thats just finished college and already has 800 hours work experience, has learnt on the job and has 1st hand experience of caring for children, feeding them, changing nappies etc or an 18 year old thats just come out of college with no experience and has only bottle fed and changed the nappy of a doll and has learnt everything from books?

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2008, 12:17   #36
God Member

True em, & thats why i said yr earlier post was therectical no critism meant, u do need the both hand in hand & be the best employable

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Stanleymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2008, 12:20   #37
Senior Member+

Its illegal for them not to have the right staff! no matter about anything else, if its a nursery then they have to...

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
Old 18-08-2008, 12:38   #38
God Member

I don't agree with 'learning on the job'
It equates to 'learn from mistakes'
The thorough 2 years full time was instruction in child health, psychology, nutrition and safety.
I am glad that my child was not exposed to the 'learning mistakes' of others.

Old 18-08-2008, 12:41   #39
Senior Member+

so how about nurses? should they learn from books as well? and then at the end of the training the inexperienced nurses are inflicted on the patients... can you learn to give an injection from a book?

Old 18-08-2008, 12:47   #40
God Member

The difference between nursing adults and nursing children is that the adults know when basic hygiene standards and safety practices are being flouted, and can object, children accept bad practices as the norm.
Nurses in hospitals have to do general nursing before working in pediatrics, so have (hopefully) already been instilled with these basics.

Old 18-08-2008, 12:53   #41
Senior Member+

The hygiene has nothing to do with the training, its the dirty people that work there EVERYONE knows they should wash their hands after the toilet and before and after preparing food, they just choose not to...

hand washing is one of the first things students are taught in both child care practice and child health.

Old 18-08-2008, 12:57   #42
God Member

Well obviously this lot haven't taken that lesson on board. Why would people need to be taught basic hygiene in the first place??
Old 18-08-2008, 13:00   #43
God Member

I had health and safety training when I managed a public building.
It amazed me how intelligent adults placed themselves at risk by their practices, because the implications had not even entered their heads. 'Common sense' was not enough - safety needs to be taught.

This report shows that those working at that nursery had not had any in depth health and safety training.

Old 18-08-2008, 13:01   #44
Senior Member+

Just to be on the safe side, theres a technique lol..... Im saying its the people not the training.

I dont think midwifes do any other nursing before they work... I can go onto uni to do midwifery if i want.

Old 18-08-2008, 13:06   #45
God Member

Quote:
I can go onto uni to do midwifery if i want.
Ideal - no practice until theory has been learnt

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..