Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-08-2008, 20:56   #61
God Member

Re: Bad Reporting???

We took our children out of a nursery when we moved to Accrington, they then attended first class childcare, the care wasnt as good, we had several issues, and were promised a refund which never materialised, we moved the kids to a childminder and have noticed the difference, unfortunately, first class childcare are more interested in money than children.
Accrington Web
Old 18-08-2008, 21:30   #62
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekgas View Post
We took our children out of a nursery when we moved to Accrington, they then attended first class childcare, the care wasnt as good, we had several issues, and were promised a refund which never materialised, we moved the kids to a childminder and have noticed the difference, unfortunately, first class childcare are more interested in money than children.
Which First Class was it, Derek? The one on Cannon Street? I don't have any knowledge of that one.

I don't know what your issues were but First Class have several nurseries and it's not fair to slag them as a group.

I have always used First Class Dill Hall, just off Dill Hall Lane.

I've used them for 7 years, still use holiday club. I can't praise them enough. The manager and staff are excellent. I am very happy with the care, both children have always been happy there and the nursery has always got excellent Ofsted reports.
Old 18-08-2008, 21:39   #63

I looked at first class nursery on Canon Street for my son. I dont like the ratios of adults to young children. Ended up happiest with a chidminder that looked after one other the child. She treated my son as one of the family, with Christmas and Birthday presents, parties etc. I was aways more than happy with the service she gave, especially as her attention was only split between the two children, she had more flexibility to go out to places and day trips etc
onlyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2008, 21:47   #64
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
I am very happy with the care, both children have always been happy there and the nursery has always got excellent Ofsted reports.
My grandaughter used to attend the one on Pickup Street in Clayton, albeit part time .. when my daughter's shifts clashed with my working hours. Couldn't grumble with the care she got, however, think the nursery may have changed hands to First Class in the last 10 years ... so my observations could well be irrelevant.

I have looked at other reports for nurseries in our area, and against these the report on Dolli Dimples does present pretty dire reading. Did notice that there are lots of varying inspectors involved in these reports, and maybe some ascend to higher standards than others. All in all, that is what Ofsted is all about, they are there to help and advise establishments which are not coming up to standards, not to close them down. So hopefully, the proprietor will no doubt address these criticisms leveled at her nursery, and can only be for the good. If she doesn't, then will be curtains for her business, which I am sure she does not want.

Last edited by katex; 18-08-2008 at 21:52.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 07:04   #65
God Member

The nursery I referred to was pickup street, but some of my complaints were aimed at management/ownership, so it was fair to generalise.
Old 19-08-2008, 09:01   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacy78 View Post
After reading every post it has been made perfectly clear no one who has commented has a child that attends this nursery. ...<snip>... Ask anyone who's child does attend this nursery or go and take a look for yourselves
Unfortunately, the OFSTED report is pretty d*mning. I wouldn't consider this place, let alone spend time and petrol money checking it out myself in case OFSTED have lied . The whole reason for publishing OFSTED reports is to allow public to make informed decisions when we don't really have any other way to form an opinion.

The only way your post would make sense would be if you could imply that the OFSTED inspector had some other reason for giving such a bad report. However, you haven't given any indication as to how that might be true.

What's particularly worrying is that the childcare facility is below an acceptable standard an every measured criterion. I know that (unlike schools) they get no useful warning of an imminent inspection, however I do think that the staff might have made some increased effort while the inspector is there. They either didn't, which makes them incompetent, or did, which means things there are probably worse than the report would suggest.
Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 09:33   #67
Junior Member+

Hi all! My name is Carla McLoughlin -the nursery owner youve all been talking about! thought i'd send a post -not to defend or justify myself-but just to clarify a few specifics for you all
I opened Dolli Dimples as my passion has always been children. I have two myself-age 6 and 2.
The OFSTED report was disapointing and i hold my hands up to some of the points raised (which have now been actioned). Both myself, and the staff team are very unhappy with many of the points raised. What the Observer failed to mention was that the report has been challenged by myself (formally) and is currently being investigated. Also not mentioned is the fact that after a staff embers employment was terminated (as a result of the OFSTED inspection), we have had numerous OFSTED 'spot checks,' following complaints made to them- all passed accordingly.
Of course ratios are always met and adhered to, and under no circumstances are children left in 'soiled underpants.'- i'm a mother for goodness sake!
Over two thirds of my staff are qualified and experienced (above the legal 50% requirement). i hold a level four qualification in childcare and am currently studying for my degree at uni.
The inspector fails to mention many positives that were commented on during the inspection, but i have to be professional and liase with OFSTED appropriately and by adhering to the correct procedures.
We are a brand new nursery-only open ten months! We haven't been established long at all and dont claim to be perfect. What we are is unique, safe, secure and happy!!! If parents dont want to send their child to Dolli Dimples, then thats thier perogative- there are many other nurseries in the area.
The child with an additional language is referred to as such because this is the terminology used by OFSTED.
Just for the record-we have a beautiful, covered outdoor area with built in sand pit and mark making boards. We play out every single day, in all weathers-and the children love it
Also, ive not been on this web site before until today. I am not a profit related business as yet- i currently take no wage for the long hours i work (though like everyone, i do have bills and a mortgage to pay). its my first year of business, so i dont expect to-as with any new business. Any extra money made goes straight into the nursery-for example, trips to Little Treasures.

I just want to thank my fantastic supportive family, and the loyal staff team for their recent support. Plus, the loyal parents and friends-you know who you are
Think ive covered everything. Any other questions????
oh, and just in case youv'e been following-the trial for my case against Peel Park is next month too-something else for you all to comment on x
Carla McLoughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 10:15   #68

Carla

I am -pleased you decided to come on the forum and answer the criticism. It can not be an easy time for you. It is good that you have some support and I hope that you manage to come through this painful time for you. From what you say it is apparent that you have the childrens interests at heart and I am sure that as long as you remain in control and continue to put the children first you will come through it all.

Try not to let other people worry you and try to always generate your own positive press.

Good luck
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 11:11   #69

I would like to add (seeing as though i have been mentioned earlier) that Dolly Dimples is a very well run, organised and energetic nursery, that caters for all needs. The children do not eat boiling hot food, run around with dirty bums or for that matter fail to wash their hands after going to the toilet. They certainly do not have access to knives in the kitchen or for that matter spend enough time in their to know where they are. They make out in the report that children are readily playing with them in the kitchen. I found the report a very nasty read but i know that alot of the points werent right. Ofsted made a moutain out of a mole hill and if it were my business i think i would be upset and rightly. Carla is a very strong individual and she will fight until it gets put right. All the problems that Ofsted have said arent right she has sorted out. Lets just hope when she gets a glowing report in 6 months time that there will be as much of a commotion about it!!!!!!

Have you seen me dancing, i mean really dancing!!!

Claire Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 11:18   #70
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i certainly hope she comes out on top of this, but ya never answered an earlier question by neil, are you saying OFSTED are telling lies?
Old 19-08-2008, 12:17   #71

Well, I will look forward to the new report with great interest. I hope, for both the owners, more importantly the children that attend the nursery, that glowing reports are given.
onlyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 12:30   #72
God Member

It was me that mentioned you Claire just to clarify that you were not the owner of the nursery. You can hardly blame people for commenting on a report that was published in the local newspaper and saying quite rightly so given the contents of the report that they would not be happy to send their child there.
Hope that the report set for September is more favourable towards the nursery but can somebody actually clarify that the OFSTED inspector was lying in their observations??
Old 19-08-2008, 13:17   #73
Junior Member+

patience is a virtue. Just come off the phone to OFSTED who are investigating it-as previously stated.THERE ARE THINGS IN NURSERIES WHICH ARE CLASSED AS CONFIDENTIAL AND I CANT GO AROUND TYPING INFORMATION ON THE WEB UNTIL IT IS IN MY HAND IN BLACK AND WHITE.Therefore, watch this space
Carla McLoughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 13:20   #74
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
i certainly hope she comes out on top of this, but ya never answered an earlier question by neil, are you saying OFSTED are telling lies?

Fair point cashy.
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 13:36   #75
God Member

I think like others have said,
everyone will be happy if the nursery gets a glowing report next time.

None of us want it to be bad, especially where children are involved

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..