Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-08-2008, 20:39   #1

Bad Reporting???

I've just been browsing through the Accy Observer online and came across an article on the OFSTED report of a local nursery that had resulted in the nursery being given warnings. The newspaper report didnt seem so bad, but (being nosy) I looked on the actual Ofsted reports online and its disgraceful....

Plympton Montessori Nursery & Kids Club

Is this bad reporting on the side of the Observer?

Do any Accywebbers use this nursery??
onlyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-08-2008, 20:40   #2

Re: Bad Reporting???

Not sure why the link is giving a different establishments name, the link does go through to the right report tho lol
Old 16-08-2008, 20:52   #3
God Member

now dont quote me on this but....isnt the woman who runs the place a member of accyweb? i'm sure when the place was opening she was sorta advertising it on here

when you click the link it says dolli dimples
Old 16-08-2008, 20:55   #4

yeah, dolli dimples is the right name

Not sure if shes a member of accy web or not. I was quite surprised how different the two reports were. The Ofsted report makes it sound a death trap, where as the Observer seems to give the impression thats not so bad
Old 16-08-2008, 20:55   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart View Post
now dont quote me on this but....isnt the woman who runs the place a member of accyweb? i'm sure when the place was opening she was sorta advertising it on here

when you click the link it says dolli dimples
You're right Flashy, I remember her coming on. She used to do the after school club at Peel Park school and I remember her coming on here when she was opening the nursery.

That report must have been upsetting for anyone whose child attends that nursery.
Old 16-08-2008, 20:58   #6
God Member

this bit amazed me...

Protecting children from harm or neglect and helping them stay safe
The provision is inadequate. Children's safety is compromised because hazards are inadequately identified and minimised and proper precautions are not taken to prevent accidents. Children under two years crawling around in the room for children over two years have access to high chairs stacked against the wall, a large fan being used to maintain an adequate temperature and inappropriate objects strewn all over the floor. These include broken crayons, pens and bits of paper from a previous cutting activity. The kitchen is used as a walkway for children to access the outdoor area where sharp implements are easily accessible in an open tray. Food given to children under two years is not cooled to an appropriate temperature and staff fail to notice the steam coming out of the dish as toddlers scoop the spoon into the centre before putting it to their mouth. An accident is averted because of the intervention of the inspector. The safety of children under two years is not considered when they access the outdoor area at the same time as children over two years; toddlers sit in or crawl around the small area with no suitable activities whilst older children run around and manoeuvre wheeled toys.

if i had a child there it wouldnt be there very long, i hope that the parents of these children have read this report
Old 16-08-2008, 21:06   #7
God Member

I wonder if the owner will come on and defend herself.
Old 16-08-2008, 21:07   #8

The whole thing worried me!! I think its scary for all parents, you never know what is going on at the childcare providers, and you have to trust strangers to look after your kids.

My son went to a nursery. We had a few incidents, the most serious of which, where somehow he managed to get hold of some anti bacterial wash, unscrew the lid, and drink it!!! He was about 18 months old at the time, so the whole task would have taken some time in doing. Soon after i moved to him to a childminder who had cared for him so much better.

Think some nurseries are just profit related. Another worrying part of the report was that there was no proof as to which staff worked when, so were the kid to adult ratios met??
Old 16-08-2008, 21:11   #9
Resting in Peace

This bit confused me :-

"The nursery currently supports children who speak English as an additional language" Funny way of putting things.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2008, 21:12   #10
God Member

My god! Just that part of the report that Flashy put up is enough to frighten me!!

My daughter attends Peel Park so is bound to know the owner if she ran the after school club

My youngest went to nursery, 3 times I went into him sitting on the floor crying
(They were given the benefit of the doubt twice)
3rd time, he never went back, he was only 6 months old
Old 16-08-2008, 21:13   #11
God Member

all very P.C hey Kate
Old 16-08-2008, 21:13   #12
God Member

Have to say, can't imagine ever sending my children to a nursery that's in shop premises on a town centre street - got to wonder what fresh air they'd ever get.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2008, 21:16   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Have to say, can't imagine ever sending my children to a nursery that's in shop premises on a town centre street - got to wonder what fresh air they'd ever get.
That crossed my mind too, Gayle.

I wondered where they played.

The report did say that the children like playing outside so they must have a play area at the back....can't be very big though, can it?
Old 17-08-2008, 10:00   #14
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
This bit confused me :-

"The nursery currently supports children who speak English as an additional language" Funny way of putting things.
if children are polish/asian/arabic or basically do not speak english a a first language at home than english is classed as a additional language -i suppose that this is one plus if they are being supported as it is often hard for children for whom english isnt a first language to settle at a nursery .

I dont know what to think about this report - it doesnt sound as if the actions are maliciously being done - it looks like a nursery that has been opened without proper planning and perhaps too many children were enrolled at the start leaving not much time for planning and adjustment
I remember thinking i was seeing things when i saw this place on warner street as it does seem an odd place for a nursery.

Perhaps the owner thought it was a good place for a start up and were planning to move to bigger premises - what seems good on paper doesnt always work out in reality.
Good luck to them lets hope they are working hard to put things right. x
keetah992000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2008, 10:05   #15
God Member

i dont know how it all works for a nursery but i do know if that was a primary school then they would have been put in 'special measures' and given a certain amount of months to buck their ideas up before the next inspection otherwise they would be shut down

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..