Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-07-2009, 18:22   #16
God Member

Re: Banned, the police Union Flag badge that backs our troops

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
i saw teh new story but backing down dosnt excuse the whole thing happening,it should never have been an issue in the first place
Agree with this 110% .... whoever thought of making it an issue is either very insensitive, or has the IQ of a salad bar ... probabably both. KPD's cruisers all have "Support Our Troops/Appuyons nos troupes" stickers on them, as do the fire trucks. I have noticed that many local coppers wear badges showing that they support the troops. And, as an aside, Queen's has joined a long list of Universities offering free university education to any children of fallen soldiers .... shlt, it's the least they can do. And many local businesses give discounts to members of the military.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-07-2009, 18:51   #17
God Member

With all that protective/offensive/technological gear that police officers have arranged about their person nowadays, I am surprised that anyone noticed a small badge.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2009, 19:18   #18
God Member

[quote=MargaretR;732002]With all that protective/offensive/technological gear that police officers have arranged about their person nowadays.

Seems that you have taken this subject on board with a vengance?
You and I and many others on this forum do not confront the police in their duty to protect the citizen.
A bomb went of in Spain today injuring 50 people, without warning and aimed at the polce and thier families....Who gives a toss if some yupee or protester with nothing better to do, after a warning, decides to take on the police. I fail to see where you are coming from with offensive?

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2009, 19:33   #19
God Member

Oh for the days when the good old British Bobby carried nothing more than a whistle, a billy club, and an accurate watch, just in case someone should ask him the time.
Old 29-07-2009, 19:41   #20
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Oh for the days when the good old British Bobby carried nothing more than a whistle, a billy club, and an accurate watch, just in case someone should ask him the time.
No mounties in Ossy Eric....times change.
These lads are under contant threat, not from old ladies, who think they are always right but real villans.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2009, 21:31   #21
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
These lads are under contant threat, not from old ladies, who think they are always right but real villans.
Well the 2 I have been talking to tonight do not feel under constant threat when out and about in Ossy. In fact one said it was a much better place to work than Blackburn.
Old 29-07-2009, 21:36   #22
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
Mounties have changed .... now they taser Polish immigrants to death at Vancouver airport. But they still have the Musical Ride, and they look good on State occasions.
Old 29-07-2009, 23:32   #23

And, as an aside, Queen's has joined a long list of Universities offering free university education to any children of fallen soldiers .... shlt, it's the least they can do. And many local businesses give discounts to members of the military."
Some years ago I suggested that people leaving the armed forces should be offered a chance to go to University or vocational training of their choice as a "Thank You"
"Academics and politicians have been saying it for decades now - that the GI Bill of Rights, signed into law by President Franklin D. Roosevelt 65 years ago this month, is perhaps the most important, the most far-reaching piece of legislation the U.S. Congress ever approved."
Thanks to
GI Bill ticket to American Dream | Cincinnati.com | Cincinnati.Com
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2009, 23:51   #24
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadey View Post
And, as an aside, Queen's has joined a long list of Universities offering free university education to any children of fallen soldiers .... shlt, it's the least they can do. And many local businesses give discounts to members of the military."
Some years ago I suggested that people leaving the armed forces should be offered a chance to go to University or vocational training of their choice as a "Thank You"
"Academics and politicians have been saying it for decades now - that the GI Bill of Rights, signed into law by President Franklin D. Roosevelt 65 years ago this month, is perhaps the most important, the most far-reaching piece of legislation the U.S. Congress ever approved."
Thanks to
GI Bill ticket to American Dream | Cincinnati.com | Cincinnati.Com
There have been things like the GI Bill in England ... particularly after the First World War .... remember reading something about it in Robert Graves, "Goodbye to All That." Have to do a little research on that one ... maybe demain. I do know that after WWl, returning veterans could get a quarter section of farmland for nothing in Western Canada ... a lot of today's farms out there still have this veterans' 160 acres at their core ... but I would like to see something on the line of the GI Bill in this country, for the vets of Afghanistan. Oooops ... wandering off topic.
Old 30-07-2009, 00:16   #25

Iagree with what vera,has wrote,that we are not british any more and the others are running us.
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2009, 19:23   #26
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I agree that they should not be allowed to wear any badges at all. They should only be allowed to wear the official uniform while on duty.

For me it is not about just this one badge that they should not be allowed to wear but any badge.

If badges were allowed they might start wearing football club badges or Blue Peter badges.

So my question is "Are all non Police issue badges banned from being worn or just this one?"
I do agree with you here Neil ... uniform discipline is the first discipline in any force and should be adhered to, no matter what the cause. Nobody understands this better than our armed forces ... zero tolerance, that is why our soldiers are the best in the world. Should start early on with school uniforms, etc. Not even going to go into the issues of 'special' jewellery worn by certain religious groups .. after all, have discussed many times on here.

Would just REALLY love to know ... what type of 'person' objected to the Union Jack (or was it the support for our armed forces ?) !!!!
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2009, 21:08   #27
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
I do agree with you here Neil ... uniform discipline is the first discipline in any force and should be adhered to, no matter what the cause. Nobody understands this better than our armed forces ... zero tolerance, that is why our soldiers are the best in the world. Should start early on with school uniforms, etc. Not even going to go into the issues of 'special' jewellery worn by certain religious groups .. after all, have discussed many times on here.

Would just REALLY love to know ... what type of 'person' objected to the Union Jack (or was it the support for our armed forces ?) !!!!
I can't bring myself to agree with the "uniform discipline" argument. It's not like they were wearing hallow'een costumes. And whether or not people like the coppers, one can argue that their job gives them a form of kinship with the troops. If for some reason I get rowdy on the street this weekend (oh, for the days), and some hefty patrol copper stuffs me into the back seat of his cruiser, does it really affect his efficiency or his performance of his duty if he is wearing a badge to show his support for the troops? Does it matter that his cruiser has stickers on it saying "Support Our Troops/Appuyons nos troupes? Even saw a fire truck with a sticker on saying: "If you don't wish to stand behind the troops, feel free to stand in front of them." Banning anyone, in any job from wearing tokens of support for the troops is an insult to the brave men and women toughing it out at the sharp end.
Old 30-07-2009, 21:37   #28
Resting in Peace

We will have to agree to disagree Eric .. will not be persuaded otherwise on my opinion that you may feel that discipline in a uniform is not that important .. to me it is the whole start of training, and leads on to the same attitude in the more important aspects of their job. Of course it will make an efficiency difference how they will develope, and on their performance if rules are bent on the first rung of the ladder. Just like we ought to have zero tolerance in our towns starting with litter and dog pooh.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2009, 21:58   #29
Super Moderator

What the hell's "litter and dog pooh" got to do with it? They're offensive substances anyway - hardly comparable to a simple badge.

We're not talking here about police personnel wearing political or religious symbols. They're simply displaying the national flag of the country we live in which crosses all political and religious lines, combined with a gesture of support for the brave lads and lasses who risk their lives to protect ALL of us, whatever our creed or political persuasion.

As for the type of person who objected to the badge, I would imagine it was someone who had a totally pedantic approach to "uniform discipline".
Old 30-07-2009, 22:10   #30
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
We will have to agree to disagree Eric .. will not be persuaded otherwise on my opinion that you may feel that discipline in a uniform is not that important .. to me it is the whole start of training, and leads on to the same attitude in the more important aspects of their job. Of course it will make an efficiency difference how they will develope, and on their performance if rules are bent on the first rung of the ladder. Just like we ought to have zero tolerance in our towns starting with litter and dog pooh.
I'll go for zero tolerance for the Taliban ... then we can go to work on the badges and the dog shlt and the garbage.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..