Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-06-2004, 16:41   #1
God Member

Batman & Robin in Accy

Watch out, Gotham City...............you may think you've got fearless crime fighters, but you've got nowt on Accy:

Here's from tonights Telegraph:

Tory couple are new crime 'czars'
HUSBAND and wife councillors Doug and Sandra Hayes have been appointed crime and disorder 'czars' in Hyndburn.

The long-serving Tory councillors have been appointed as chairman and vice-chairman, respectively, of the newly-formed overview and scrutiny committee for community safety and community wellbeing.

The crime-busting duo will take charge of the body, a watchdog which looks at the borough's community safety initiatives, and will also suggest new plans to cut crime in the borough. Coun Doug Hayes is the St Oswald's Ward representative, and Coun Sandra Hayes is Immanuel ward councillor. Between them they have served on the council for more than 30 years.

Coun Doug Hayes said: "This is an exciting role, we all want a safer Hyndburn and the creation of these roles is a key move toward this.

"We will be very much working in partnership to tackle anti-social behaviour across the borough and to monitor projects relating to the health and wellbeing of Hyndburn residents."

Coun Sandra Hayes said: "I'm delighted that the importance of community safety has been further recognised by the creation of these roles and I'm looking forward to getting to work on the Committee."

The committee will be responsible for looking at the work of the Hyndburn Community Safety Partnership, and looking at ways to tackle burglary, violent crime, and anti-social behaviour.

The new roles were created in response to concerns about safety from residents of Hyndburn. Coun Peter Britcliffe, leader of the council, said: "During the election campaign I was constantly asked about anti-social behaviour and crime and disorder in the borough. Community Safety is at the forefront of people's minds in Hyndburn, and that is why we've made it a council priority and created the roles of these crime and disorder 'supremos'.

"As chairman and vice-chairman Doug and Sandra will be able to bring their skills and years of experience to these vital roles."

Well there we go then....as of today, the Hyndburn criminal underworld will be quaking in their crack foil.....I have no doubt that when I next return to Accy, the streets will be have been swept clean by this magnificent duo. The villains will be behind bars, the burglars bannished and the likes of Lettie will be served with big-time ASBO's for dropping their Donner Kebabs on the pavement....

Does anyone have any doubts on this score?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-06-2004, 16:51   #2
God Member

Re: Batman & Robin in Accy

Not at all.. have faith
Old 28-06-2004, 19:01   #3

Well, I think we have to give them a chance. About a week should do it!
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2004, 19:43   #4

I wonder what budget, or should that read tax payers money, they have been awarded in order to carry out their crime busting activities.

The uniforms don't come cheap, and that car certainly burns a lot of petrol.

Expect to see logos, leaflets, balloons and other Google Page Ranking literature to convince the good citizens of Accrington that the money has been well spent, and that the streets are now a safer place.

But who are the real villains of the peace, in down-town Accrington ?
Old 28-06-2004, 21:05   #5
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Ooooh, I take umbridge at that comment Tealeaf. Never once have I dropped a kebab wrapper on the floor. I do think it will be interesting to see if any progress is actually made. Part of me thinks 'give em a chance' but unfortunately my cynical (and more frequently seen) side highly doubts it..

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2004, 21:48   #6
Resident Waffler

I shall try to be an optimist.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2004, 21:50   #7
God Member

Well well... My post had a WINK next to it.. It was meant as sarcasm. Its going to be a waste of time. They are going to have lots of nice meetings and meals and visits to far off countries to see how they do it...

It's action thats needed and this don't come anywhere near action for my money...
Old 28-06-2004, 21:52   #8
Resident Waffler

What kind of action would you advise Kipax?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2004, 21:57   #9
God Member

Absoloutly no idea.. I have no answers.... then again I dont know how to make a good lancashire hot pot.. but i do know buy a new pan isnt the answer
Old 28-06-2004, 22:02   #10
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPAX
Absoloutly no idea.. I have no answers.... then again I dont know how to make a good lancashire hot pot.. but i do know buy a new pan isnt the answer
That's a very good turn of phrase. I have a feeling that the nice meals and trips abroad etc will probably be how it's going to be. At our expense of course..

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2004, 22:35   #11
I am Band

If i drops me Kee-Bab on the floor, me picks it up and carries on eating.

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2004, 23:51   #12

They are going to monitor projects relating to your health and wellbeing. Does that mean they'll sort out the shortage of dentists?
Gobsmacked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2004, 05:18   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobsmacked
They are going to monitor projects relating to your health and wellbeing. Does that mean they'll sort out the shortage of dentists?
They are only going to MONITOR.....not actually do anything. The most we could hope for is a lengthy report in a year or so's time.
QUOTE:"The committee will be responsible for looking at the work of the Hyndburn Community Safety Partnership, and looking at ways to tackle burglary, violent crime, and anti-social behaviour." UNQUOTE
Note the words "looking at", doesn't sound that dynamic, does it?
I also noted that:
QUOTE: ". Coun Peter Britcliffe, leader of the council, said: "During the election campaign I was constantly asked about anti-social behaviour and crime and disorder in the borough. Community Safety is at the forefront of people's minds in Hyndburn, and that is why we've made it a council priority and created the roles of these crime and disorder 'supremos'. "

Isn't that passing the buck by not answering those "constant questions?
"

I also note that we've moved from Crime to Safety.......I'm sure there won't be any success!
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2004, 10:07   #14

I would have thought that whatever money was being ploughed into the creation and maintainence of these new roles would be better off going to the police?
Old 30-06-2004, 20:48   #15
Accrington Web Mascot

The only worry is that in all the citys were they have crime fighting superheros - is that suddenly it becomes the crime capital of the world!
ShortStuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..