Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-06-2015, 15:30   #46
Senior Member+

Re: Battle of Orgreave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
It was the Independent Police Complaints Commission who rejected the call for an inquiry, so what have previous Labour governments got to do with this?
They were Governments, they could call any public inquiry they wished to. You'll notice this is what the campaigners are now calling for.
The IPCC investigates miscarriages of justice and criminal actions etc. by the police with a view to prosecutions or disciplinary action.

So nothing was in the way of a Labour public inquiry.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-06-2015, 15:41   #47
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Its not about which party refused n inquiry, Its about what actually happened n the simple fact NO Tory i'm aware of. has commented what Thatcher did was wrong. simple as, it speaks volumes to me.
Old 21-06-2015, 15:46   #48

OK, simple question, Gordon: do you think there should be an inquiry? Yes or no?

We know Barrie thinks not because it's comparible to the Peterloo Massacre.
cashman likes this.

Last edited by Michael1954; 21-06-2015 at 15:49.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2015, 15:54   #49
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
OK, simple question, Gordon: do you think there should be an inquiry? Yes or no?

We know Barrie thinks not because it's comparible to the Peterloo Massacre.
Well at least Barrie gave a good reason.
Old 21-06-2015, 19:56   #50
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
n the simple fact NO Tory i'm aware of. has commented what Thatcher did was wrong. simple as, it speaks volumes to me.
Perhaps it's because they don't agree with you?
I say they, there are two of us I think but don't forget the silent majority.

[QUOTE=Michael1954;1143069]OK, simple question, Gordon: do you think there should be an inquiry? Yes or no?
/QUOTE]

An IPPC investigation- definitely not.
After 30 years no miner could stand in court and say 'That man is the policeman who broke my arm with his baton'. Or 'That's the man who rode me down with his horse'.
Just as no policeman could say 'That man hit me with a brick' or 'Those are the men who emptied a scrapyard on our heads'.
There were at least 10,000, maybe 15,000 people involved. No one knew who did what to who, it just all happened. So an IPPC investigation would get nowhere.

A public inquiry?
Well, I assume the Labourites on here were quite happy when 3 Labour Governments never mentioned starting one, it's never been brought up on here before.
So why the sudden fervour now after 30 years?
Oh, I see, it's a Tory Government.
Well, we all accepted no inquiry under 3 Labour Governments, we should accept it under a Tory one.
Seems fair?

Last edited by Gordon Booth; 21-06-2015 at 19:59.
Old 22-06-2015, 00:12   #51

An inquiry has nothing to do with there being a Tory Government in power. The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) received a referral from South Yorkshire Police in 2012 containing allegations of assault, perjury, perverting the court of justice and misconduct in a public office. This referral was made following a BBC documentary, which claimed officers may have colluded in writing court statements, using excessive force, and giving false evidence in court. The IPCC spent three years before coming to the decision the allegations could not be pursued because of the passage of time. According to a BBC report, South Yorkshire's Police and Crime Commissioner Alan Billings described the decision as a missed opportunity that did "disservice" to former miners, police and the IPCC.

This is what this thread is all about, as stated by the thread starter. Arguments about Labour Governments or Tory Governments are irrelevant. The discussion arose because of the IPCC's decision not to pursue this.

Does that answer your question about why the sudden fervour after thirty years?

Last edited by Michael1954; 22-06-2015 at 00:20.
Old 22-06-2015, 06:38   #52
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Notice Gordon has declined to answer yer original question, musta been too difficult.? Plus he says its never been mentioned on here before, i say bull it has, on some thread years ago.

Last edited by cashman; 22-06-2015 at 06:40.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2015, 11:13   #53
Senior Member+

Quote:
An inquiry has nothing to do with there being a Tory Government in power. The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) received a referral from South Yorkshire Police in 2012 containing allegations of assault, perjury, perverting the court of justice and misconduct in a public office. This referral was made following a BBC documentary, which claimed officers may have colluded in writing court statements, using excessive force, and giving false evidence in court. The IPCC spent three years before coming to the decision the allegations could not be pursued because of the passage of time. According to a BBC report, South Yorkshire's Police and Crime Commissioner Alan Billings described the decision as a missed opportunity that did "disservice" to former miners, police and the IPCC.

This is what this thread is all about, as stated by the thread starter. Arguments about Labour Governments or Tory Governments are irrelevant. The discussion arose because of the IPCC's decision not to pursue this.

Does that answer your question about why the sudden fervour after thirty years?
Fair enough, we'll leave the question of a Government inquiry by any party, you say that's not the question so you must be happy without one.
The IPCC , as you say, have had a three year inquiry and reached their conclusions so that's the end of that.
PCC Alan Billings- the successful Labour candidate for PCC and a noted anti- Thatcherite in his time( see Faith in the City, called 'pure Marxist theology' by a Cabinet Minister). Politics does keep coming up, doesn't it?
So one inquiry you don't require and one three year inquiry you've had.
That's it, isn't it?
Don't say 'No', this thread is getting boring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Notice Gordon has declined to answer yer original question, musta been too difficult.? Plus he says its never been mentioned on here before, i say bull it has, on some thread years ago.
I'm sorry, cashman, as far as I can see I have.
If you say this subject has been raised before I accept that. It must have been before I joined and life's too short to check back to 2004.

One thing we can all agree on is that we'll never agree so rather than us go on forever I'll call it a day on this thread.
As I said, life's too short.

Last edited by Gordon Booth; 22-06-2015 at 11:18.
Old 22-06-2015, 11:35   #54
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

The question was n inquiry, not of any particular kind, as i'm sure yer well aware? cos whatever yeh are, stupid aint one of em.
Old 22-06-2015, 11:42   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Fair enough, we'll leave the question of a Government inquiry by any party, you say that's not the question so you must be happy without one.
The IPCC , as you say, have had a three year inquiry and reached their conclusions so that's the end of that.
PCC Alan Billings- the successful Labour candidate for PCC and a noted anti- Thatcherite in his time( see Faith in the City, called 'pure Marxist theology' by a Cabinet Minister). Politics does keep coming up, doesn't it?
So one inquiry you don't require and one three year inquiry you've had.
That's it, isn't it?
Don't say 'No', this thread is getting boring.

I didn't say I would be happy without a Government enquiry. The point I was making is it's irrelevant to argue about previous Labour Governments or the present Tory Government. If Labour had won the last election, I would still say that a Public Inquiry was now justified. The IPCC have taken three years to decide that they can't pursue this because of the passage of time. If that is a reasonable argument then we wouldn't have had the Hillsborough Inquiry, would we? I don't keep bringing politics up, but you do. For your information I voted Conservative in the last election, but so what? At no point in this thread have I made this a political issue, but at every turn you have gone on about three Labour Governments versus the present Tory one.

If you find this thread boring, then don't contribute to it. But if you are going to contribute to it, you must expect, and allow, people of a different viewpoint to express their opinion.
Old 22-06-2015, 16:07   #56
Senior Member+

Quote:
I'll call it a day on this thread.
As I said, life's too short.
Quote:
If you find this thread boring, then don't contribute to it. .
How did you learn to write without learning to read?

I just had to ask.
Old 22-06-2015, 16:26   #57

Quote:
How did you learn to write without learning to read?

I just had to ask.
I could ask the same question of you. At no time in my posts did I say or imply that I would be happy without a Public Inquiry, but you made the assumption that I had.

You mentioned earlier that people can be become rude, offensive, personal and abusive when they get over excited. I didn't realise you were talking about yourself. Try to calm down.

Last edited by Michael1954; 22-06-2015 at 16:28.
Old 22-06-2015, 16:33   #58
Senior Member+

I do apologise!
I assumed as you voted Tory you might have a sense of humour.
Wrong again
Old 22-06-2015, 16:36   #59

Quote:
I do apologise!
I assumed as you voted Tory you might have a sense of humour.
Wrong again
Silly man, I wrote my last paragraph with a smile on my face! Cutting repartee and all that!
Old 22-06-2015, 16:48   #60
Senior Member+

Quote:
Silly man, I wrote my last paragraph with a smile on my face! Cutting repartee and all that!
Really? You live and learn, even at my age.
Obviously too subtle for me!
I said I'd call it a day on this thread and I meant it until you tempted me.
So unless I think of some 'cutting repartee' or you tempt me again that's it.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..