Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2015, 21:15   #1

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!
Battle of Orgreave

'Battle of Orgreave': Probe into 1984 miners' clash policing ruled out - BBC News

And they accuse unions of having a closed shop!!!

Funny isn’t it how the ‘passage of time’ defence doesn’t count with 30 year old+, historical high profile criminal or abuse cases that the police relentlessly pursue yet, magically, it’s used when pursuing the alleged guardians of the law themselves.

‘Some of the officers are retired’….hey, so were Klaus Barbie and Adolf Eichmann…hell Jimmy Saville and Cyril Smith were dead!! Didn’t stop ‘due process’ did it?

Passage of time didn’t stop them chasing Ronnie Biggs for 30+ years.

This is a disgraceful decision, especially as there is adequate documentary and visual evidence to at least open a public enquiry.
Old 13-06-2015, 07:19   #2
God Member

Re: Battle of Orgreave

Have South Yorkshire police ever got anything right, seems to be a catalogue of inadequacy
Guinness likes this.
Old 13-06-2015, 07:23   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

The problem wi it is Guiness the party that was in power then, is in power now. An enquiry should be the minimum into Orgreave, no question.
Old 13-06-2015, 07:52   #4
Full Member+

I was watching footage of the police assault on the miners on TV yesterday and it was worse than I remember. The violence to the miners was well over the top, they went steaming in smashing skulls indiscriminately. The government were determined to destroy the mining industry and crush the unions at all costs. It was barbaric. This is one piece of history today's government will want to keep buried. Thatcher had total contempt for the working class, I doubt she lost any sleep over it!
Old 13-06-2015, 08:33   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

I witnessed women wi broken arms, head bandages oer in Yorkshire, the previous day the police had been yon n smashed up a soup kitchen n truncheon ed the lasses. can never recall the news showing that .
Old 13-06-2015, 09:35   #6
Full Member+

That's terrible but doesn't surprise me, it's about time Thatchers government and the police at that time were brought to account. It'll be a big whitewash though.
Old 13-06-2015, 09:46   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

To be sure there was good n bad on both sides during the strike, But the point is workers were brought too account. The police Never were, never will be imho.
Guinness, Gremlin and westendlass like this.
Old 13-06-2015, 15:39   #8
Senior Member+

Perhaps we should also have an inquiry into the Peterloo Massacre if we are prepared to spend incredible amounts of money on inquiries into historical events
Old 13-06-2015, 15:54   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Yer losing the plot Barrie, should lawbreakers get away wi it, if it was 30/40 yrs ago? still i expect yeh to defend what thatcher did.
Eric and Michael1954 like this.
Old 13-06-2015, 18:04   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Perhaps we should also have an inquiry into the Peterloo Massacre if we are prepared to spend incredible amounts of money on inquiries into historical events
If you insist on dragging up shiite that isn't within living memory, why not go back to the Harrying of the North? That gets us back to the eleventh century. Which, come to think of it, is where George Osborne seems to get most of his ideas on economics.
cashman likes this.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 23:14   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Yer losing the plot Barrie, should lawbreakers get away wi it, if it was 30/40 yrs ago? still i expect yeh to defend what thatcher did.
And what time limit do you put on it Cashy - 30, 40, 50, 100 years, where do you draw the line?
What is achieved except a great deal of expenditure of time and money - the perpetrators will be in their dotage or dead.
The way the Yorkshire Police acted was no doubt criminal, but so were some of the actions of the miners and the print workers in their strike.
Scargill's intention was to bring down the government, Thatcher's intent was to break the Union bully boys tactics. He carried on building Arthur's Seat while they were on strike and his members were selling off their coal rations - I witnessed the Notts miners who were still getting there allowance and selling it on - I was one of their customers on Friday evenings in the pub in Flintham Village
Old 13-06-2015, 23:17   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
If you insist on dragging up shiite that isn't within living memory, why not go back to the Harrying of the North? That gets us back to the eleventh century. Which, come to think of it, is where George Osborne seems to get most of his ideas on economics.
So what is your time limit?
Whatever number you pull out of your head you will still exclude those who have grievances abount earlier incidents
Old 13-06-2015, 23:36   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
So what is your time limit?
Whatever number you pull out of your head you will still exclude those who have grievances abount earlier incidents
How about within living memory, as described by Eric? What time limit would you put on pursuing peadophiles?
cashman likes this.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2015, 07:05   #14
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
How about within living memory, as described by Eric? What time limit would you put on pursuing peadophiles?
Thats about the size of it to me, Probably thats too long if yeh wanted to let the "NAZIs" off.
Old 14-06-2015, 07:41   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Thats about the size of it to me, Probably thats too long if yeh wanted to let the "NAZIs" off.
I doubt fer a min, if Barrie would agree to letting those off? but to select who yeh think should get off,is the thin end of the wedge, do that n clever lawyers these days would easily argue even Nazis should be freed.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..