Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2011, 09:24   #1
Senior Member+

BBC Breakfast News in Accrington - Private Landlords

I have lobbied BBC News for a month or so to run a story on private landlords which is being broadcast all this morning at about 10 pas the hour.

It features a resident of Peel Ward, Tracy paying £95pw. It cut the asbestos roof on the back. The BBC cameras came up to Accrington last Thursday.

This is an important issue for this constituency in many ways. Owner occupiers suffering, housing benefit rip off, houses rotting, areas undesireable, community spirit downbeat.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-02-2011, 09:34   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: BBC Breakfast News in Accrington - Private Landlords

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
I have lobbied BBC News for a month or so to run a story on private landlords which is being broadcast all this morning at about 10 pas the hour.

It features a resident of Peel Ward, Tracy paying £95pw. It cut the asbestos roof on the back. The BBC cameras came up to Accrington last Thursday.

This is an important issue for this constituency in many ways. Owner occupiers suffering, housing benefit rip off, houses rotting, areas undesireable, community spirit downbeat.
Watched it.

Well done.

Can't find the clip, showing the danger and squalor one young Accrington mum and her child was forced to live with, but found the script of what was reported.

BBC News - One million rented homes in England 'are dangerous'

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:38   #3
Give, give, give member

Just thought I'd link this thread, for anyone who didn't see it, which is about Hyndburn's attempt to try and tackle the rogue private landlords.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...rds-52620.html

Old 05-02-2011, 09:43   #4
God Member

Yeh saw it too, there's too much dilapidated properties in hyndburn, particularly in woodnook, around matalan area looking a right mess as well as the hidden types being lived in - these people pay rent or Hb and landlords do nothing but take the cash. Took insult to conservative opinion that the scheme should be scrapped as there's no real problem bar a few grr!

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Last edited by Stanleymad; 05-02-2011 at 09:46.
Stanleymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:44   #5
Senior Member+

Well done Graham. If ever an issue needed highlighting, its this one.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:21   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanleymad View Post
Yeh saw it too, there's too much dilapidated properties in hyndburn, particularly in woodnook, around matalan area looking a right mess as well as the hidden types being lived in - these people pay rent or Hb and landlords do nothing but take the cash. Took insult to conservative opinion that the scheme should be scrapped as there's no real problem bar a few gir!
Think you'll find that they didn't say there was no real problem, but there is already legislation on the statute books which can be used without creating more and more red tape, as highlighted this morning bare electrics and dodgy gas appliances are already outlawed by current rules and regs which SHOULD be implemented.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:25   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post

its about time, everbody should give you support in this. ive never seen so many empty properties in one area and neglected hopefully they will cut the council tax rebates for empty proerties...
Old 05-02-2011, 10:26   #8
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
...there is already legislation on the statute books which can be used

...and the programme highlighted cases in which tennants who complained, about conditions which didn't comply with existing legislation, were issued with notices to quit their homes.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:30   #9
God Member

that guy on the news lives in fantasy world i think somebody should take him a tour round the housing problem areas and he will have a different opinion.thelaws about empty proerties is useless as the landlord of the house at the end of orange street has kept it empty for at least 9 years briging down the full arear and reducing house prices..
Old 05-02-2011, 11:20   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
...and the programme highlighted cases in which tennants who complained, about conditions which didn't comply with existing legislation, were issued with notices to quit their homes.
I looked at the property in question G and ask would I have moved in to such a s--tip with or without promises of improvements
Old 05-02-2011, 11:26   #11
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I looked at the property in question G and ask would I have moved in to such a s--tip with or without promises of improvements
For some, there's very little option.

The private sector is where there are vacancies.

There are massive waiting lists, for the very few social housing there is left.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:27   #12
God Member

some people havent a choice there is a select few landlords in accy bringing the full area down .with only a minority who actually care about their properties.its a known fact that lanlords bring areas down so they can buy the rest at reduced prices..
Old 05-02-2011, 11:41   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
some people havent a choice there is a select few landlords in accy bringing the full area down .with only a minority who actually care about their properties.its a known fact that lanlords bring areas down so they can buy the rest at reduced prices..
Well this thread was started my our MP. I think I'm right in thinking that this problem did not spring to the forefront last May, it appears that very little was done to address the problem over many years not the last 8 months.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:56   #14
God Member

agreeing with you 100% because most politicians live in their own safe havens in their own little world but it is good a local politician is highlighting this and should be supported all the way whatever political leanings he has.for too long this has been swept under the carpet all over britain the slum landlords have been getting away with murder yes basicly murder and its been swept under the carpet..
Old 05-02-2011, 15:55   #15

Quote:
I think the young lady was told by the landlord that improvements were going to be made, and surprise surprise they wern't, I understand what you're saying Jaysay but I think some people being young & naive will believe the landlord and wont know who to complain to about the dangerous living conditions when the promised repairs are not done.

And well done Graham for highlighting a problem that needed to be brought into the public spotlight
wallop79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..