Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2009, 20:37   #16
God Member

Re: BBC Secrecy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
I don't think it should be anyone's business to be honest. If you don't like the fact that the public pay for the BBC through tv licences, stop watching it. Or watch it online on iplayer for free like the majority of students do. The delay in broadcasting means you don't need a tv licence to watch it.

People whinge about these things and yet continue to use the service. I believe in boycotting things I disagree with.
you can be a goon at times blazey lol

you cant choose what your tv recieves , if it is capable of recieving any tv signal you have to pay a TV licence regardless if you watch bbc channels or not

ps:

the bbc a couple of years ago asked teh goverment to introduce an internet licence and believe me they wont have given up and that is why they brought in the iplayer so they can go back to teh govenment and say look we provide programs via teh internet now as well so can we please now charge an internet licence on top of what people alreay pay for tehir service wether or not they look at the bbc webistes or not

this is why the licence fee is against demoracey and freedom of choice, you pay for it wether you use it or not and face prison for not paying for somthing you dont watch

if they made tvs that were programed not to recieve bbc channels therefore givingteh customer a choice then that would be fair

i have 3 tvs in my house but i dont have to have a tv licence because i proved that i ha dno means to recieve a signal by having no ariel and no sky dish etc , i told them i used teh tvs for dvds and my xbox only and when they came to check it was all in order so i dont pay a licence

i do however get all my tv shows from america and off teh internet which is non of teh bbc's buisness so screw em lol

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 04-06-2009 at 20:43.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-06-2009, 21:56   #17

i like that idea accy man
Old 04-06-2009, 22:49   #18

The BBC tried to hide Ross's pay (our money remember) on the grounds that is was "sensitive" and he would be "poached". Who is going to pay this xxxxxx more than 18 million pounds to say "I like your film" ITV hasn't got two ha'pennies to rub together and Michael Grade is on his way out
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:28   #19
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadey View Post
The BBC tried to hide Ross's pay (our money remember) on the grounds that is was "sensitive" and he would be "poached". Who is going to pay this xxxxxx more than 18 million pounds to say "I like your film" ITV hasn't got two ha'pennies to rub together and Michael Grade is on his way out
Totally agree wadey, plus the fact the ITV don't pay half the salaries that the Beeb do. To be quite honest if you were allowed to opt out of paying a licence fee, but by doing so you could not watch or listen to BBC TV and Radio, I'd be quite happy with that, with hundreds of channels on Sky I'd hardly be suck for something to watch
Old 05-06-2009, 10:33   #20
God Member

There should be no tv licence, revenue should be gotten from advertising like other channels do, I wonder if the licence fee helps certain mp's out, like the expenses did?
Old 05-06-2009, 10:53   #21
Resting in Peace

The TV license is no more than another form of taxation to pay for jobs for the Boys.The old Eaton brigade etc.
They throw us the odd scrap or two but mainly its just a money grabbing racket.
Please don't say there is not enough revenue out there to support them because that was the excuse when we only had two channels,now we've got dozens of them.
End of rant(thank you)

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 14:11   #22

Who remembers the Birt scandal?
"JOHN BIRT, the new Director-General of the BBC, has avoided tax by being paid as a freelance consultant - despite being a full-time employee of the Corporation. Instead of paying tax on his BBC salary, he has been taxed on whatever he chooses to pay himself from his private company.

According to the BBC, details of Mr Birt's pay as Director-General have still to be finalised. He took over his new job at Christmas instead of next month, as planned. But for six years as Deputy Director-General he was paid through his private company."

We needn't have adverts it should be able to fund itself by selling programmes abroad and on DVD etc and why do they keep letting them open more and more channels?
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 11:34   #23
God Member

I don't like adverts...on some channels there are adverts for up to 7 mins...a 30min BBC replay can be over 40 minutes on an independent channel...the TV license is not bad value when you match it up to most SKY packages.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 13:01   #24
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
I don't like adverts...on some channels there are adverts for up to 7 mins...a 30min BBC replay can be over 40 minutes on an independent channel...the TV license is not bad value when you match it up to most SKY packages.
But you are forced to pay it, with Sky you have a choice.

Why do the BBC keep starting new channels and new radio stations?
Also why are the BBC doing all the internet stuff they are now doing. They are supposed to provide unique TV programs, they don't need half a dozen TV channels and lots of DAB radio programs for that.

The internet side of things may be very good but how are commercial companies supposed to complete with it when they are not handed £billions every year?

We don't need the likes of Jonathan Ross being paid £millions to have a good TV program. If ITV want to pay him that much then fine, the BBC should be showcasing new artists and giving them a foothold into mainstream TV.

No need for all the reality TV rubbish, the other stations do that so its not very unique and can only be provided by the TV licence is it?

As far as I am concerned the BBC has got to big and inefficient, just like all Government owned companies. I am in two minds if it should stand on its own or be downsized.

We don't need all those TV channels showing repeats all the time. The annoying thing is that they don't repeat the new stuff at different times during the week on its extra channels.

Maybe we need to go to BBC1, BBC News, a childrens channel and 2 or 3 national radio stations only.
Old 06-06-2009, 15:51   #25
God Member

here Neil...why don't you just write to Terry Wogan ..talkin bollox on here ain't gonna do nowt!
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 19:08   #26
God Member

BBC iPlayer offers two services... delayed broadcast which requires no licence and live broadcast, which requires tv licence just like television.

Also, you can have tv channels blocked through sky and other providers so you wouldn't need a tv licence.

If you have a normal tv then don't tune the TV into the BBC channels. You don't HAVE to. I have had tvs in the past that I've not tuned in, it's not difficult with a bit of self control with the remote control.

TV licencing for delayed programmes won't happen because it would interfere with other channels licencing... for example UK gold plays repeats of old classics which were made for the BBC. It would be confusing. So it won't happen.

And if it does happen, well I'll eat my socks.

I can live without television anyway. It doesn't bother me in the slightest.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 20:33   #27
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
You may find that the channel is owned by the BBC.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 00:56   #28
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
Also, you can have tv channels blocked through sky and other providers so you wouldn't need a tv licence.
Are you sure about that?

BBC is not encrypted on Sky so works without the Sky card in. I doubt they can block it and if they could pulling the card out would probably allow it to work again.

Freeview can not be blocked because it does not have a card and the providers don't have any access to your box.

Virgin might be able too because they appear to have more control over their boxes as the communicate back to Virgin all the time.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:07   #29
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Virgin might be able too because they appear to have more control over their boxes as the communicate back to Virgin all the time.
I have read that all HD equipment, (be it either an HD ready tv or an HD box), is equipped with a camera and microphone which is capable of relaying sound and vision BACK down the cable......interesting.....tones of 1984?
Maybe tv engineers can confirm or deny that.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:38   #30
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I have read that all HD equipment, (be it either an HD ready tv or an HD box), is equipped with a camera and microphone which is capable of relaying sound and vision BACK down the cable......interesting.....tones of 1984?
Maybe tv engineers can confirm or deny that.
That is not correct Margaret.

Virgin equipment does talk to virgin and Sky does through the phone line.

A Virgin box is a bit like a piece of internet equipment, it has MAC and IP addresses. Virgin know what channel your box is on and what you are watching. This comunication between your box and Virgin is what makes Virgin so good. You can select programs on demand and watch what you want from a big list of stuff. You can also watch it when you want, so you can pick a film and watch it now if you want, not wait until the next scheduled start time. The program is then sent to your box (sort of).

You can also access BBC iPlayer from your set top box and watch the programs on your TV like any other program. This is great because most normal people want to watch TV in the living room not sat at the PC (yes you can connect your PC to your TV but Virgins is an idiot proof system for normal humans) Sky's satellite system can not do this as there is no real communication back to Sky. Yes with Sky+ you can select some programmes to watch but these have been saved to your box by Sky so the choice is more limited.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..