Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2009, 09:19   #31
Resting in Peace

Re: BBC Secrecy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
That is not correct Margaret.

Virgin equipment does talk to virgin and Sky does through the phone line.

A Virgin box is a bit like a piece of internet equipment, it has MAC and IP addresses. Virgin know what channel your box is on and what you are watching. This comunication between your box and Virgin is what makes Virgin so good. You can select programs on demand and watch what you want from a big list of stuff. You can also watch it when you want, so you can pick a film and watch it now if you want, not wait until the next scheduled start time. The program is then sent to your box (sort of).

You can also access BBC iPlayer from your set top box and watch the programs on your TV like any other program. This is great because most normal people want to watch TV in the living room not sat at the PC (yes you can connect your PC to your TV but Virgins is an idiot proof system for normal humans) Sky's satellite system can not do this as there is no real communication back to Sky. Yes with Sky+ you can select some programmes to watch but these have been saved to your box by Sky so the choice is more limited.
Don't know much about Virgin Neil, having had Sky since around 1992 and been quite happy with hat I have, have ever bothered much. I now have HD well I've had it for over two years and its very good, as for programs on demand there are more and more programs coming available on Sky Anytime which I use quite often especially for films
Old 07-06-2009, 19:42   #32
God Member

At the end of the day, if you don't want to pay a tv licence then don't use a service that forces you to, like Sky, if that is the case though I am not convinced that they can force you to buy into another service like that as well that requires a licence...

But at the end of the day, tv licensing doesn't affect me because I just use the online services and I'm happy enough at that. I can understand if you want to watch tv immediately... but patience is a virtue
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:31   #33
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
At the end of the day, if you don't want to pay a tv licence then don't use a service that forces you to, like Sky, if that is the case though I am not convinced that they can force you to buy into another service like that as well that requires a licence...
I have no choice, that is what is wrong. I want to watch TV but am forced to buy a licence. Watching TV on a PC is not a viable option for my family.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:33   #34
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I have no choice, that is what is wrong. I want to watch TV but am forced to buy a licence. Watching TV on a PC is not a viable option for my family.
get one of those flat tv's and put it on teh wall you share with your neighbour and run your ariel lead off their roof ariel

that way they cant say for sure which house the tv is in when the detector van comes around

just hope next door has a licence lol

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 05:51   #35
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
get one of those flat tv's and put it on teh wall you share with your neighbour and run your ariel lead off their roof ariel

that way they cant say for sure which house the tv is in when the detector van comes around

just hope next door has a licence lol
As you'd have a tv in the room transmitting BBC channels, I think it would be pretty obvious...

People actually do this with bandwidth and I'm pretty sure they are committing theft when they get tried for it. Certainly don't get off lightly for it anyway.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..