Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2009, 09:19   #1
Resting in Peace

BBC Secrecy

The BBC are refusing to give details of top radio presenters salaries to the National Audit Office, unless they sign a non-disclosure agreement. When I read this this morning I had a quick look at the date to make sure it wasn't April 1st. Excuse me but is this corporation not run entirely by the public's licensing fees and don't we have a right to know just what the like of Wogan and Ross are being paid
Old 04-06-2009, 11:15   #2
Senior Member+

Re: BBC Secrecy

BBC all they are is a goverment controlled brainwashing, propaganda tool anyways.

and worse of all we have to pay for it.
***Mr D*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 11:18   #3
God Member

I wonder what would happen if someone requested the information under the Freedom of Information Act?

I've long since held the belief that the BBC should not be funded by a license.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 11:46   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Mr D*** View Post
BBC all they are is a goverment controlled brainwashing, propaganda tool anyways.

and worse of all we have to pay for it.
Aye, best stick to the mail eh ?
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 11:53   #5
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamF View Post
The Mail?
***Mr D*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:00   #6
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
I wonder what would happen if someone requested the information under the Freedom of Information Act?

Are you trying it then?
Old 04-06-2009, 15:44   #7
God Member

Quote:

i think 99% of people think the bbc should fund its self

the other 1% are mugs

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 16:05   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamF View Post
No this was on the BBC itself DH
Old 04-06-2009, 16:07   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:

I've been of the same mind Gayle because if the BBC funded itself, there would be no need for a lience fee
Old 04-06-2009, 16:58   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
i think 99% of people think the bbc should fund its self

the other 1% are mugs
A lot of people at the BBC do fund themselves out of our money.Could well be the next round in the expenses saga.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 17:17   #11
God Member

If it were not publicly funded would it survive the competition from other broadcasters? I'm curious to know if there are any "content rules" for the BBC? Do they have to air a percentage of programs written and produced in Britain, rather than in the media factories of the US? Is the BBC uniquely British, or is it just another outlet for tv garbage? We don't pay a license, but millions of tax-payer dollars go to support the CBC. Because of this we can hear classical and jazz etc on CBC radio, and good talk shows, not interrupted by annoying ads. And on CBC tv there are decent Canadian produced shows: Corner Gas, Trailer Park Boys, and Little Mosque on the Prairies are favs of mine; and Due South, I know, is a favorite of at least one AccyWeb member. And these shows, written and produced in Canada, with Canadian actors might not survive without some form of govt. subsidy. On tv, the ad content is lower.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 18:35   #12

aren't the presenters entitled to the privacy as we are ? i wont give my salary details out to anybody.
Old 04-06-2009, 19:23   #13
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ossywarrior View Post
aren't the presenters entitled to the privacy as we are ? i wont give my salary details out to anybody.
I don't believe they should be, not while they are paid from public money. We know how much Police, Fire and NHS staff are on so we should know how much BBC people are on.
Old 04-06-2009, 19:58   #14
God Member

I don't think it should be anyone's business to be honest. If you don't like the fact that the public pay for the BBC through tv licences, stop watching it. Or watch it online on iplayer for free like the majority of students do. The delay in broadcasting means you don't need a tv licence to watch it.

People whinge about these things and yet continue to use the service. I believe in boycotting things I disagree with.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 20:22   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
I don't think it should be anyone's business to be honest. If you don't like the fact that the public pay for the BBC through tv licences, stop watching it. Or watch it online on iplayer for free like the majority of students do. The delay in broadcasting means you don't need a tv licence to watch it.

People whinge about these things and yet continue to use the service. I believe in boycotting things I disagree with.
And I believe in boycotting things and people that disagree with me But isn't a national, govt. funded broadcaster a good idea? Whether thro' a licence such as you guys have to buy, or through a few extra bucks on taxes such as Canadians pay to have the CBC? The alternative is a mass of crap out of the US and ads for 20 mins. out of the hour. If you guys are concerned about a national identity, isn't the BBC part of it?
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..