Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-10-2007, 08:33   #16
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Re: Bbc3

so this too, how could a father do that to his kids...his own flesh and blood..........sick if you ask me, hope the scum bag suffers in jail!!
Old 24-10-2007, 09:29   #17
God Member

i watched it too, he killed his kids before he killed his wife, he should of been hanged
Old 24-10-2007, 13:22   #18
God Member

I dont think I'll be able to bear watching it. I dont think it should be thought of as an honour killing either. Honour killings are when they've done something to shame the family, but Riaz' mum and sisters never did anything shameful.

blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2007, 15:32   #19
God Member

Thanks, terrible event. Even worse, it seems to happen a lot. And not only with muslims and cultures which don't have the more "liberal" western values. It is shocking how many women, and often their children too, are killed by disaffected partners and, often, ex-partners.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2007, 15:57   #20

Quote:
so this too, how could a father do that to his kids...his own flesh and blood

He even took them to Blackpool that afternoon, let them make sand castles and then on to the pleasure beach, took them home waited whilst they slept and then caved their heads in with a rounders bat. This man should not be allowed to live, why should tax payers keep him in jail all his life.
firefighter753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2007, 17:23   #21
God Member

I don't see how these can be called "honor" killings; it is certainly a distortion of "honor" to link it to macho male insecurity. It is time to let immigrants know that altho they are welcome, there are certain aspects of thier culture which are not. There are enough problems with insecure boyfriends and husbands without adding more that are culturally sanctioned, or at least tolerated.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2007, 20:05   #22
God Member

I am watching it now.
Old 24-10-2007, 21:15   #23
God Member

Most of the programme was about the Riaz family. It made very sad viewing.
Old 24-10-2007, 21:16   #24
God Member

Very sad and it is going on all over the place.
Old 24-10-2007, 22:22   #25
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I don't see how these can be called "honor" killings; it is certainly a distortion of "honor" to link it to macho male insecurity. It is time to let immigrants know that altho they are welcome, there are certain aspects of thier culture which are not. There are enough problems with insecure boyfriends and husbands without adding more that are culturally sanctioned, or at least tolerated.
Why would you refer to immigrants in particular? Born and bred british citizens can do exactly the same thing, and they do, it happens with white british families as well, but the reason they aren't called honor killings is because they typically lack the religious factor, yet often its not the religious factor at all makes these men do these things, they are just cowards.

Adams poor excuse for a father might have tried to bully his family with his religious believes but underneath he was the shame on the family, drinking alcohol and claiming to be such a righteous muslim. He didn't deserve his loving family, and he killed them because he was a coward, nothing to do with honor.
Old 24-10-2007, 22:28   #26
God Member

And how many of the cases so far have not been immigrants? I have been watching it and as you say Adam's "father" was a coward who murdered six people or as good as!!!
Old 24-10-2007, 22:41   #27

I'm struggling to think why honour killings might be called such due to some typically religious factor.

Honourable man = religious man ?
Religious man = honourable man?

Plain murder in my book.
Old 24-10-2007, 23:22   #28
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
Why would you refer to immigrants in particular?
It doesn't seem very prevalent say, amongst Welsh Mehodists, for example.

'Most "honour" killings of women occur in Muslim countries.'
http://www.gendercide.org/case_honour.html

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2007, 23:46   #29
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
And how many of the cases so far have not been immigrants? I have been watching it and as you say Adam's "father" was a coward who murdered six people or as good as!!!
you watched a two part documentary, it just so happens that the cases shown just happened to be foreign people. Just as many white men murder their wives and children for many reasons, the only reason its not labelled an honor killing as we stereotype honor killing as a foreign activity, just as typically people link terrorism with muslim al qaeda followers, when there are many white terrorists in the country.

My friends family weren't killed for honour, so it shouldn't be classed as a statistic for honor killings amongst foreigners in the country.
Honour killings are against people who have brought shame to the family, such as commiting adultery or some other form of immoral behaviour, and all riazs mum tried to do was bring 'immigrants' and everyone else together in the community.

If they are to be labelled as killed by their immigrant husband/dad, then you're forcing her to have died for a lost cause, and that deeply saddens me. There is no difference between an immigrant and a british citizen, theyre all human beings, and not all honor killings should be assumed to be carried out by foreigners just because the phrase isnt used when white men kill their families. I'm pretty sure a man murdered his family with an axe not so long ago but it wasn't deemed an honour killing, yet its the same situation.

I think riaz would've been really upset that people thought his mother died because she had done something dishonourable to shame her family. And I refuse to disrespect his memory by referring to it in such a thoughtless way.
Old 25-10-2007, 00:13   #30
Resting in Peace

Blazey I think you have mistaken what is being said.

The pharse "Honour" killings is what is being talked about and that should that title be allowed to be claimed when in fact it is just plain and simple cold blooded murder.

I think this thread is trying to get a disscussion going on that but because one of the events was very close to home it has become "localised" and the main point of discussion has been pushed to one side.

However I'm prepeared to be corrected
Ber999T is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..