Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-02-2012, 11:23   #1
God Member

Because they're worth it...?

Two stories in the OBS this week, week have caught my attention and stirred my indignation. The first.....

Teens on Rishton mill roof in three-hour stand-off with police | Accrington Observer - menmedia.co.uk

makes me ask why this pair, or their parents, were not charged for the considerable cost of the operation to get them down from the roof. I am also moved to wonder what on earth the Police were thinking of in ordering a Helicopter, A cherry picker, a fire appliance with an aerial ladder and a trained negotiator into Rishton to deal with a couple of brain-dead eejits on a roof? Everybody knows all you have to do is wave a couple of E's around and they would have been down quicker than you could have said "you're nicked Sunshine". Money, it seems, especially when it comes from the taxpayer, is no object when the boys in blue decide they want a change from the usual, run of the mill, catching real criminals sort of day.

The second story, following on from the first, concerns Council Tax. At the last minute Lancashire Constabulary have decided to demand a 2.5% increase in their share of your Council Tax.

Here's the story....

Anger over decision to increase police precept by 2.5 per cent | Accrington Observer - menmedia.co.uk

It's almost enough to bring tears to your eyes isn't it? The thought of our poor boys having to make do and mend and feeeling just awful that the cruel government won't allow them to spend as much as they think they should to keep us all safe. They are so brave. I can hardly live with myself for having to divulge the next bit of my sorry tale...

But don't worry, I think I can manage to keep the tears back, just.

As some of you know I operate a business in Blackpool. Naturally, being a curious sort, I keep my eye on the local press; I find it pays to keep abreast. It appears that in the early 1970's Blackpool Borough Council had the wizzard wheeze of knocking down the Central Station and turning the area into a massive car park. Along with that they also thought it would be a pretty good idea to centralise all the Police and Court buildings in a massive new tower block. All shiny new, brutally concrete...

.... and fatally flawed.

Thirty years on, after the car park bit of the construction had to be demolished for safety reasons there are now calls for the remaining tower block to be demolished for the same reason - concrete cancer.

The Council have recently saddled local taxpayers with a £225 Million scheme to create a shiny new business district at the top of Talbot Road, The so called Talbot Gateway. It was to have revitalised the town; according to their blurb. Only fly in the ointment was that businesses didn't fancy investing in Blackpool or in it's new business district.

Undeterred by the lack of interest the council have decided to shift all their offices to one part of the scheme, hold off building a new transport hub and were going to get the police to leave their old unsafe building and come and join them at at a cost of £55 MIllion.

Then there was a change of Government and all of a sudden Lancashire Constabulary was faced with having to make savings. The New Talbot HQ would not go ahead. Cue despondancy all round.

Then, Chief Constable Steve Finnigan, had a root round in the back of his desk drawer and, lo and behold, has been able to come up with a bit of cash he had forgotten was there.
Oddly, eerily, spookily, it is the exact sum he claims in the Observer article would be the funding gap if he accepted the governments grant not to raise his share of Council Tax.
£5 Million quid is to be put down by Lancashire Constabulary as a first payment for their Brand Spanking New Talbot HQ, and the same amount for the next four years.

Not only are you paying this bunch of wasters to arse about rescuing idiots from rooftops and spend most of the rest of their time sleeping in laybyes, but you are also going to be paying for the Blackpool Branch to learn to live in a style more in keeping with their important role in society.

Feel grateful? I know I do

Last edited by Acrylic-bob; 26-02-2012 at 11:30.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-02-2012, 21:01   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: Because they're worth it...?

'We took their details once they were down but no arrests were made because no criminal offences have been identified yet."

Brilliant.

So all this because they were 'acting suspiciously'.

I wonder how many tens of thousands of pounds this cost us?

All those wearing their kid gloves in the hellicopter, on the ground, the negotiator, and the rest, in the fire brigade's cherry picker.

If the little idiots hadn't committed any crime they could be charged with, leave the silly sods up there.

They'd have come down when their bellies started rumbling.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 21:08   #3
Give, give, give member

Since rooftop nutters seem quite a common occurance in Rishton, perhaps they should invest in a water cannon to get them down, rather than a crane.

Hyndburn roof pest back in court (From Blackburn Citizen)

Old 26-02-2012, 21:22   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Seems to me,they only started this game when our Ken moved oer yon.
Old 27-02-2012, 06:59   #5
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Seems to me,they only started this game when our Ken moved oer yon.
I blame myself.

When canvassing in 2010 I vowed to shout from the rooftops for Rishton's best interests.

Must have sowed the seeds with some of our younger residents....

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 08:10   #6
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
I blame myself.

When canvassing in 2010 I vowed to shout from the rooftops for Rishton's best interests.

So it wasn't true they were trying to escape Rishton, by abseiling into neighbouring Great Harwood?

Old 27-02-2012, 08:19   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
I blame myself.

Ya looks like all the nutters are in Rishton
Old 27-02-2012, 10:41   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Ya looks like all the nutters are in Rishton
Never a truer word spoken, Jay. I live there!
Old 27-02-2012, 15:22   #9
Give, give, give member

I blame Graham Jones.

Causing panic about the cost of anything copper.

Old 27-02-2012, 15:34   #10
Senior Member+

Police, firemen, helicopter, negotiator! But when a man falls in a three foot deep pond, has an epileptic fit and drowns they can't go in to save him because they're only qualified to go in ankle deep water! I despair. How the hell do they survive having a bath at home?
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 16:32   #11
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Police, firemen, helicopter, negotiator! But when a man falls in a three foot deep pond, has an epileptic fit and drowns they can't go in to save him because they're only qualified to go in ankle deep water! I despair. How the hell do they survive having a bath at home?

Two at a time, and only four inches between them.

Old 27-02-2012, 16:40   #12
God Member

Shame that, only four inches between the two of them. Must be why they come across as so agressive. Compensating.

Well, that's shattered quite a few fantasies, thanks rindy.
Old 27-02-2012, 17:18   #13
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob View Post
Shame that, only four inches between the two of them. Must be why they come across as so agressive. Compensating.

Well, that's shattered quite a few fantasies, thanks rindy.
Don't blame me.

Blame Churchill.

One at either end.

Four inches.

That's your lot.

Old 27-02-2012, 17:23   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
One at either end.
Well that sounds a lot better, but still, only four inches. Not really enough to work up a good lather is it?
Old 27-02-2012, 17:28   #15
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob View Post
Well that sounds a lot better, but still, only four inches. Not really enough to work up a good lather is it?
Don't be tempted to go for more than four inches.

As well as ice cream, walls have ears.

You'll need more than a bit of lather, if you're tar and feathered, and paraded down Rishton High Street.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..