Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2005, 19:05   #1

Beer prices...

Can anybody tell me why beer is over £10. 00. per gallon when petrol and diesel is under £4.00. per gallon. You dont have to build a platform in the middle of the ocean, and then drill for years, to make beer, the main ingredients grow in fields and fall from the sky?
fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-05-2005, 19:07   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Beer prices...

How do expect the poor Landlords to get rich?

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 19:08   #3

Never seen a poor one yet.
Old 12-05-2005, 19:15   #4
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman
Never seen a poor one yet.
thats because they charge over £10 per gallon.
AccyStanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 19:45   #5

Have to tell you, having had a pub, there is no great mark-up on beer. Landlords are more likely to make their money on food and mixers than anything else, at least, that is how it used to be. I'm sure Staggering man will be able to give us an update on that.

JohnW
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 19:53   #6

I know that John W but its good to keep Staggers on his toes.
Old 12-05-2005, 22:24   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

once read an article in the evening telegraph over 30years ago,that said the cheapest brew of all to make was lager i drank harp at the time, never drunk lager since,went back to bitter,as my only ambition at the time was to get sloshed,thought i'm not going to get ripped off for the privalidge.ive always bin a contrary git.
Old 12-05-2005, 22:39   #8

Any one tried running an engine on beer? The busies would have a field day with their breathalizer kits. "Honest occifer, its the exhaust thats p***** not me!"
See Tesco is starting to trial selling the new generic fuel though. Wonder how long before that is taxed to the hilt like the rest?
Old 12-05-2005, 23:01   #9
Always EVIL within us

I truly feel sorry for landlords, The breweries control their prices to the outlets so that they are guaranteed a steady profit, but the landlord can only price their drinks so that it compares locally and therefore profit is minimal.

Pubs rely more and more on the sale of food to bring in profit..........and also the sale of non-alcoholic drinks such as coke that must have a HUGE profit margin!

It is noticable that certain pubs are forever up for sale or new tenants required, this is NOT because the previous landlord has made enough to retire..........

You mentioned Fireman, the difference between beer and petrol, but petrol station owners face a similar problem. I believe that they only receive 2-3 pence per litre profit and must rely on the sale of sweets, papers and groceries to give them a profit that will keep them in business!

The two organisations that are safe from bankruptcy are the suppliers of beers and petrol .....and of course, the government!
Old 12-05-2005, 23:02   #10
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by big al
See Tesco is starting to trial selling the new generic fuel though.
Can you please explain what this is, or have you any links to info about please?
Old 13-05-2005, 00:04   #11
Always EVIL within us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
Can you please explain what this is, or have you any links to info about please?
My only experience is talking with both pub landlords and petrol station owners...........but it is obvious that in both cases, if they cannot expand, they go bust!
Old 13-05-2005, 01:25   #12
land of hope and glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busman747
My only experience is talking with both pub landlords and petrol station owners...........but it is obvious that in both cases, if they cannot expand, they go bust!
its nice to know busman that someone has a bit of cloth between his ears ,this thread has been started and will not finish untill you are i are out of a job, people think that we set the prices (go to the big boys who have more clout)its not easy its dammned hard work the reason for posting at nearly 2am in the morning. when you can get up and earn a few quid in the morning because you are semi- retired is o.k but when you have to get up and pay the bills that drop through your door every day and you have to put up with other pub prices like the last orders and such its bl..dy hard work.people can choose where they want a drink and spend there money,do the same people that go out for a meal worry about what they pay for a beer or wine or whatever NO! because they dont want to belittle thereselves in front of there company they keep. so dont get onto the people that try and earn peanuts and work hard for next to jacks..t for the hours they put in. do any of you get two poll tax bills through your door £900.00 for living in a flat upstairs, £3500.00 buisness tax thats before you take into account gas,electric,insurance two are three of them and then you have to live! then you have music licences to get, extentions,darts,dominoes,entry fees.perhaps if you get away from it all you may get a holiday from it.not once a year every three years for a couple of days! then you look at the people that frequent your establishment and wonder how they can afford to come out as much as they do?perhaps we all should take notice of what others are doing and jump on there band wagons.if anyone out thwere wants to swap jobs for three months p.m me would love to get back to normality.

p.s loved every thing and nearly everyone i have had the satisfaction to meet!
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2005, 01:48   #13
land of hope and glory

Talking Re: Beer prices...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman
Can anybody tell me why beer is over £10. 00. per gallon when petrol and diesel is under £4.00. per gallon. You dont have to build a platform in the middle of the ocean, and then drill for years, to make beer, the main ingredients grow in fields and fall from the sky?
if you want to drink this stuff carry on (please misses firewoman beware when fireman lets rip)
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2005, 09:52   #14

If you read the original thread NO,ONE but NO,ONE was getting at landlords or at petrol station owners. The thread was meant to just compare the process of producing a gallon of beer as compared to a gallon of fuel. Yes I am aware that our elected representatives take the larger share of both the cost of beer and fuel. I am also aware of the marginal profit that the final perveyers receive for issuing these products to the general public. I do think the comment by Bazf, was meant to inject a little humour into the subject, thus my reply to him. Staggers I would not and could not do your job it is as I have always thought not a job but a service. A thankless service that only half of which is visible from this side of the bar. Their was no attempt at a personal slant, (I hope you know me better than that). As far as I am concerned you all do a great job in circumstances that get worse by the day and trying to be civil to some of the idiots that choose to frequent pubs these days require that the staff act above and beyond the call of duty. Sorry if I led you to believe that I was getting at you or anyone else.
Old 13-05-2005, 11:45   #15
God Member

I worked in mamaged houses for over 7 years. and I know and have known many landlords. The job is long and hard. You are up early doors dealing with cleaning/dray/paperwork and then up till late because customers now 'expect' that after hours pint or two. The profit on beer isn't great, even soft drinks can be tied to the brewery so there isn't the profit you think there. I got out 8 years ago and whilst I miss the friendship and experience I have tripled my salary for less than half the hours.

Ian
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..