Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-02-2017, 10:04   #1

Benbecula

I noticed in the six nations rugby thread that you served on Benbecula Barrie,
my older brother served in the R.E.M.E. on Benbecula in the 1950s testing the Corporal guided missile system.
After writing to the M.O.D. and submitting photographs of his time on the island he and his wife were invited to the camp when they toured the Outer Hebrides in their motor home but that would have been twenty years or so ago.
With all the cutbacks that have reduced our armed forces to little more than a little drummer boy army, I don't know whether the base is still operational, or even still there.

Regards, Taddy
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-02-2017, 10:10   #2

Re: Benbecula

By the way Rolfe, what type of drink is Hanky Bannister, Whisky/Rum, or whatever? never heard of it.
Old 28-02-2017, 10:47   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taddy View Post
By the way Rolfe, what type of drink is Hanky Bannister, Whisky/Rum, or whatever? never heard of it.
Its a Scotch taddy, one i never heard of either.
Old 28-02-2017, 13:47   #4

Thanks Cashy.
Old 28-02-2017, 16:35   #5
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by taddy View Post
I noticed in the six nations rugby thread that you served on Benbecula Barrie,
my older brother served in the R.E.M.E. on Benbecula in the 1950s testing the Corporal guided missile system.
After writing to the M.O.D. and submitting photographs of his time on the island he and his wife were invited to the camp when they toured the Outer Hebrides in their motor home but that would have been twenty years or so ago.
With all the cutbacks that have reduced our armed forces to little more than a little drummer boy army, I don't know whether the base is still operational, or even still there.

Regards, Taddy
The RAF base is still there but much reduced due to the modern radar that is now installed there. The RAF were parented by the Royal Artillery Range Hebrides. All sorts of Army support units including REME which was quite a large contingent needed to support Rapier, Blowpipe and Hawk - they also provided support for Short Bros development of drone targets. Not sure what the Army do there now. The RAF radar was initially installed to ensure that the firing ranges were clear of obstruction and to control the Canberra target towing aircraft. However, it was soon realised that the radar we had there was capable of providing coverage of the Iceland/Faroes Gap and was also used to control intercepts on Russian intruders by the Lightning and the anti-submarine patrols by Nimrods. Had a fantastic year there, the Mess was superb and my workload so varied, don't think any other engineering officer post had so much variety of responsibilities. Probably one of the best postings I ever had - I was there from April '75 to April '76 - unaccompanied posting so only one year duration.
Old 28-02-2017, 17:14   #6

Thanks for that Barrie, I will pass that infor on to my brother, I am sure he will be very interested.
Old 28-02-2017, 18:05   #7
Full Member+

Yes Taddy, Hankey Bannister is a whiskey, blended but very good by all accounts. My other half first heard of it in a Jack Higgins book when one of the characters enjoyed a few drams in Westminster. Then on a trip to Clitheroe there it was in the wine shop window so it is in our house often now. Dont know of anywhere else it is available.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2017, 18:24   #8

Thanks for that Rolfe
Old 28-02-2017, 18:30   #9

Just noticed Rolfe, you said Whiskey, (Irish), Cashy said Scotch, (Scottish), If you each pay half towards a bottle and make me a present of it, I will taste it for you and let you know which country it comes from. Hic. Your's Taddy.
Old 28-02-2017, 19:54   #10
Full Member+

Sorry for the spelling mistake. It is definitely a Scottish whisky. Have you tried Sheep Dip and Pig's Nose ?
Old 28-02-2017, 20:17   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowlf View Post
Sorry for the spelling mistake. It is definitely a Scottish whisky. Have you tried Sheep Dip and Pig's Nose ?
I am a bit conservative when it comes to Whisky/Whiskey, I not one for sampling different ones, I tend to stick to The Macallan, (Scotch) and Tullamore Dew, (Irish).

As for Sheep Dip and Pig's Nose,

The only mutton and pork I have tried have been done in the oven and eaten with a knife and fork.
After saying that, my good lady and I have booked a cottage on the isle of Arran for a fornight in June, so maybe I will sample something different.

Last edited by taddy; 28-02-2017 at 20:23. Reason: added a new line
Old 28-02-2017, 21:10   #12
Full Member+

I am sure you will enjoy your holiday on Arran. It is a lovely island and there is one distillery on there so maybe you will be adventurous and try a wee dram of the local stuff.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..