Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-11-2008, 10:38   #1
Resting in Peace

Benefit cuts for single parents

It seems that the Government are about to start a witch hunt on single parents for children aged 12 and over (7 and over in two years time) They face losing 40% of their benefits if they can't prove they are actively seeking work. I know nearly everybody has a view on this issue, but for my own part I think they are treading on very dangerous ground, for on, no two peoples circumstances are the same, and there are a lot of single parents would love to go back to work, but at a time when unemployment is likely to rise to close on 3 million, this may not be the right time to embark on this action
Old 21-11-2008, 10:40   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Benefit cuts for single parents

personally i think more women will have babies to stay on benefits instead of going to work.....I cant see how they can get away with it tbh because its the children that will lose out.

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2008, 10:59   #3
Resting in Peace

I think the mothers will just re-time the birth of the next baby to coincide with any threat of a return to work.
Of course not all I admit - Just all the ones I know!!

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2008, 11:02   #4
Senior Member+

In a way I agree with this, I have every intention of going back to work when the boys start full time school, I can understand how difficult it is to find suitable hours / childcare when you have young children so that wont help and will make it more difficult finding suitable work but when Guess when they are at that age they can look after themselves for an hour or two after school so that can no longer be used as a valid reason for not working / struggling to find work

But the jobs have to be there for people to get them. With so many redundancies lurking for so many people at the moment I dont know how they can really enforce this. If the works not there then they cant do it. But if they are trying and actively seeking work then their benefits wont be cut.

Think a lot of them though have just got lazy and do need to get off there bums and find work!
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2008, 11:03   #5
Senior Member+

I'll probably do what i did when ty was little and childmind again

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2008, 11:08   #6
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Another stupid idea from the goverment
As you say Jaysay, people at the moment are losing their jobs, dont ya think the goverment should be trying to get the OTHER parent to cough up instead of keep hounding these single parents?
It may seem silly, but some women dont get pregnant on purpose, just to get benefit!!
No one can live properly on the pathetic amount they get!
The OTHER parent whether a man or woman should pay up and take responsibilty instead of making the other struggle, but they did try it once with CSA and that was a load of bull
Old 21-11-2008, 11:09   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum View Post
I'll probably do what i did when ty was little and childmind again
Ive been thinking about that recently - just not quite sure yet
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2008, 11:15   #8
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
It seems that the Government are about to start a witch hunt on single parents for children aged 12 and over (7 and over in two years time) They face losing 40% of their benefits if they can't prove they are actively seeking work. I know nearly everybody has a view on this issue, but for my own part I think they are treading on very dangerous ground, for on, no two peoples circumstances are the same, and there are a lot of single parents would love to go back to work, but at a time when unemployment is likely to rise to close on 3 million, this may not be the right time to embark on this action
My grandmother, who you knew, was widowed with two small children to bring up alone.

There was no option but to go out to work, and even if there was, once her children were at school she'd have gone out grafting anyway.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2008, 11:31   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
My grandmother, who you knew, was widowed with two small children to bring up alone.

There was no option but to go out to work, and even if there was, once her children were at school she'd have gone out grafting anyway.
Yeas you are quite right Rindi, but we live in a different age, and people have been brought up to modern day conditions, not all for the good may I add, but maybe, just maybe there are other areas which could be tackled first. Everybody knows that some young ladies get pregnant on purpose and are quite prepared to stay at home as long as they can get away with it. The same is said about the disabled too, but the genuine disabled would love to be able to work instead of existing on what they get on benefits. Even today I receive nowhere near the money I was earning in 1980, okay I worked long hours, but I loved it and looked forward to work every day. It maybe an idea if we closed our boarders for a while because any one coming here at the moment ain't coming for the work, not when the jobless total is rising every day
Old 21-11-2008, 11:47   #10
Give, give, give member

Surely if as forecast unemployment is rising, rather than relying on a smaller and smaller work force paying taxes which fund people's benefits, everyone who is able to should be encouraged to find work?

Makes economic sense to me.

After all these proposals are only to encourage those who are able to seek work.

No one will be penalised unless they refuse to do so.

Old 21-11-2008, 11:55   #11
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
What do your beloved Conservative party propose?

Generation after generation who choose the option to live on benefits?

I'm afraid if everyone decided to go for that option we'd soon come unstuck, as there'd be no money in the pot to pay anyone's benefits, and we'd be in a worse economic crisis than we are currently.

Old 21-11-2008, 12:14   #12
God Member

did i not do a thread about this earlier on this year? its old news now lol
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2008, 12:24   #13
K-P

every year they target someone,, was the disabled last time i looked. single mothers now.. as far as i can see it never makes any difference...
Old 21-11-2008, 12:32   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
What do your beloved Conservative party propose?

Generation after generation who choose the option to live on benefits?

I'm afraid if everyone decided to go for that option we'd soon come unstuck, as there'd be no money in the pot to pay anyone's benefits, and we'd be in a worse economic crisis than we are currently.
Dependency culture; inspired by government tampering in human nurture. Time to write a blog.
Old 21-11-2008, 12:36   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
Dependency culture; inspired by government tampering in human nurture. Time to write a blog.
nah time to speak plain n explain to us simpletons what the hell that is.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..