Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2011, 14:22   #136
Beacon of light

Re: Benefits for the poor are spent on drugs and gambling

Why on earth apologise? It is he who should apologise for subjecting us to the badly written, hardly punctuated, twaddle.
And I would like to say that I am being kind when I call it that.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-12-2011, 14:23   #137
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
You'd think he might re-read when posted and edit a bit - comes over as a bit of a thoughtless rant....sorry
Not a lot he can do about it though Mobertol he's nothing to think with
Old 10-12-2011, 14:28   #138
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Varrechia View Post
I think Jay will know this for definite, but i think you'll find that when the Roman Empire fell they had just had 13 years of a labour senate and Julius Brownius had just sold off all their gold.
Wouldn't really know about that one Gordon, history wasn't my chosen subject, but if Julius Brownius did sell their gold, its quite in keeping with the antics of his scottish ancestor gormless Gordon
Old 10-12-2011, 14:31   #139
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Not a lot he can do about it though Mobertol he's nothing to think with
I don't know him so I can't comment Jay. Was pulled up myself by Eric for a comma the other day

He comes across as passionate in what he says -he's obviously sure of his convictions but is not, i think, reflective by nature.

No nice spacing of his arguments to give the reader time to reflect or to gain time before delivering a punch-line...

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 14:37   #140
Resting In Peace

Quote:
It does tend to repeat itself doesn't it - interesting paragon Margaret.
Hello Mrs Malaprop - think you mean parallel?

Sorry couldn't resist - got my editor's/proofreader's hat on.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 14:49   #141
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I don't know him so I can't comment Jay. Was pulled up myself by Eric for a comma the other day

He comes across as passionate in what he says -he's obviously sure of his convictions but is not, i think, reflective by nature.

No nice spacing of his arguments to give the reader time to reflect or to gain time before delivering a punch-line...
Your not missing out believe me,
Old 10-12-2011, 15:05   #142
God Member

[QUOTE=susie123;955003]Hello Mrs Malaprop - think you mean parallel?

Sorry couldn't resist - got my editor's/proofreader's hat on. [/QUOTE

TRANSITIVE VERB:
par·a·goned, par·a·gon·ing, par·a·gons
To compare; parallel.
To equal; match.

Means more-or-less the same thing Sue -I was actually translating from Italian.

"Paragonare" is the verb to compare...

Brain dead today... (Blame Bridget -she's had a bad week!)

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 10-12-2011, 15:34   #143
Resting In Peace

Quote:
TRANSITIVE VERB:
par·a·goned, par·a·gon·ing, par·a·gons
To compare; parallel.
To equal; match.
Well the verb's a new one on me...

I see I shouldn't really criticise - made a total hash of the quote in that last post...

Last edited by susie123; 10-12-2011 at 15:36.
Old 10-12-2011, 15:40   #144
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Well the verb's a new one on me...

I see I shouldn't really criticise - made a total hash of the quote in that last post...
There are loads of English verbs out there going un-used, truly i only used it because I was translating back from Italian -not a good thing to do as it doesn't always work!

I have a great English dictionary/Thesaurus for when I do translations -gives you more variety, we tend to use the same words over, again and again, as most of us are generally lazy in our speech.

~ D. H. Lawrence

Last edited by mobertol; 10-12-2011 at 15:41. Reason: commas!
Old 10-12-2011, 15:45   #145
God Member

Just had a thought perhaps i could start a "Word of the day" thread in anything goes. Make it quite unusual and see how many people manage to use it in their posts that day -might be quite difficult to monitor though.

What do you reckon?

Could be a new game for all our Sesquipedalianists

~ D. H. Lawrence

Last edited by mobertol; 10-12-2011 at 15:45. Reason: adding a word
Old 10-12-2011, 18:38   #146
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Just had a thought perhaps i could start a "Word of the day" thread in anything goes. Make it quite unusual and see how many people manage to use it in their posts that day -might be quite difficult to monitor though.

What do you reckon?

Could be a new game for all our Sesquipedalianists
Nice idea... can't quite see how it would work.
Old 10-12-2011, 20:33   #147
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Why on earth apologise? It is he who should apologise for subjecting us to the badly written, hardly punctuated, twaddle.
And I would like to say that I am being kind when I call it that.
Badly written, yes. Hardly puctuated, most definitely. Twaddle, hardly.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 20:38   #148
Beacon of light

Well, if I can't make sense of it Eric, then as far as I am concerned it is twaddle.
To be honest, I could not be bothered trying to work out what he was saying.
I'm too bloody old to be wasting my time on such inconsequential rubbish.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 21:29   #149
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
your from a dinosaur age of politics blaming the unions just dont wash.lets have a look miners strike justified trying to save your community and well being is bad i dont think so, it was the greedy shareholder who thought globalisation would make them a packet there is only one reason why britain and europe are in a mess and thats greed.if they never got greedy we would have had real money to spend and greater taxes to collect.the multi nationals cut their nose to spite their face they are idiots do they not know people need money to buy their products.as tristun hunt said on wuestion time he hit the nail on the head .in the eighties the tories put thousands of workers on incapacity,now we have full generations of people who dont know what work is they started the rot by helping create mass unemployment in communities with their first round of cuts in the eighties i just keep getting a feeling of de ja vu cuts ,europe, union bashing,propoganda in the papers. the tories are out of their depth we are in for a very very bumpy ride.
" You're from a dinosaur age of politics, blaming the Unions just doesn't wash.

Let's have a look at the miner's strike, a bad thing? I don't think so. It was justified, in that it was trying to save your community and well-being. It was the greedy share-holder who was the one that would make a packet through globalisation. There is only one reason why Britain and Europe are in a mess, and that is greed.

If they had never got greedy, we would have had more money to spend and greater taxes to collect. The multi-nationals cut off their noses to spite their faces, they are idiots. Do they not know that people need money to buy their products?

As Tristan Hunt said on Question Time, when he hit the nail on the head:
"In the Eighties, the Tory government put thousands of workers on incapacity benefit, now we have generations of people who don't know what work is."

They started the rot by helping to create mass unemloyment in communities, with their first round of cuts in the 1980's.
I just keep getting a feeling of dejà vù; Cuts, Europe, Union bashing and propaganda in the papers.

The Tories are out of their depth, we are in for a very, very bumpy ride."

This is what C'mon meant.

Not twaddle at all -just passionately expressed without punctuation!

I remember when the Tories had to bring down the un-employment figures back then and fiddled the numbers. They managed to knock off a million over night. The same thing has gone on ever since!

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 10-12-2011, 21:36   #150
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Well, if I can't make sense of it Eric, then as far as I am concerned it is twaddle.
To be honest, I could not be bothered trying to work out what he was saying.
I'm too bloody old to be wasting my time on such inconsequential rubbish.
One is never too old to waste one's time. The way I interpret what he wrote is that in any labour/management dispute, or in any discussion of why British industry is, more or less, no more, it is wrong to blame only one side for the dispute, or for the loss of viable industries which provide well-paid, secure employment for the working class. Bashing the unions often obscures the fact that management needs a good swift kick in the plums too. From one set of prejudices, one blames unions for their greed and intransigence; and from another set, one blames management for their greed and intransigence.

But this is only an interpretation. His argument is a tad cluttered, but hardly "twaddle", or "inconsequential rubbish."
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..