Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree165Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2014, 14:22   #31
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!
Re: BENEFITS hmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Perhaps the word your looking for is apt?
Thought them was meant for your Carlos fandango doggies danglies "Smart phones" ( but just quite how a phone can be considered smart is beyond me, what's it do? Dress in saville row clobber or kicks everyones arse at the local boozer pub quiz?)
Old 08-02-2014, 14:36   #32
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Thought them was meant for your Carlos fandango doggies danglies "Smart phones" ( but just quite how a phone can be considered smart is beyond me, what's it do? Dress in saville row clobber or kicks everyones arse at the local boozer pub quiz?)
Well, someone in Accy thinks it's a good idea to pit one persons 'smartphone' against his neighbours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barty View Post
Hi just to let everybody Know who doesn't know already there is a fantastic new Quiz Night at the Calder every Thursday but it's not the usual Boring quiz this is totaly different you answer questions etc with your Mobile Phone/Tablet Device it's every Thurs at 9pm free to join in and prize money is £25.00 plus other givaways
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/n...eply&p=1092209

What a no brainer that must be?

Lets level the playing field we can all google together,
No more sitting alone at your keyboard trolling local politicians!

DaveinGermany likes this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 14:56   #33
God Member

i know someone who has been sanctioned which is kicked off benefits or had tehir benefits stopped for 12 weeks because they had to spend time looking for a new home because of the bedroom tax. As they were busy for a week finding a property and moving while trying to sort small children out with school and everything else children need they were deemed not looking for work or putting enough effort into looking for work.

basically because they spent a few days sorting their immidiate personal issues out such as putting a roof over their kids heads they got labled dossers and sanctioned despite showing eagerness to work or seek work on teh previous weeks

social will claim there are not targets for removing peoples benefits but many who work for the system say otherwise

if its not written down its not an official policey but staff at job centers are been given performance warnings for not kicking enough people off benefits
Accyexplorer likes this.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 14:58   #34
Senior Member+

As fitting as those words maybe for a few,I think the Politicians need you to think that these people you mention are "cheats,lazy" and undeserving so they can get away with slashing welfare state,journalists also need you to believe this so they can continue to print tosh.I’d be more worried about what the rich and powerful are doing.
Poverty isn't good for anyone (Apart from the economic elite, who need
people willing to polish the parquet for a pittance).Poverty affects the health, education and prospects of the people caught in its trap. It breeds resentment and apathy.
Question time again:
Do you want a society where everybody is empowered to contribute, where people value their communities and incentives to commit crime and behave antisocially are greatly reduced? Or do you want to punish the poor, the disabled and the downright unlucky because, eewww poor people are so last century?

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 15:07   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
Poverty isn't good for anyone (Apart from the economic elite, who need
people willing to polish the parquet for a pittance).
A sweeping statement that you manage to contradict all by yourself.

Quote:
Poverty isn't good for anyone
Quote:
(Apart from the economic elite, who need
people willing to polish the parquet for a pittance).
The rest of the post wasn't as good.

By the way parquet, do you mean lino? OLWTM
Accyexplorer likes this.
Old 08-02-2014, 15:18   #36
Senior Member+

A lot of the people who "benefit bash" don't stop to think that they are also getting benefits - child benefit? Working tax credits? Even single people getting their 25% council tax reduction are benefiting, so what next? We attack all single people now?

One thing is for certain - while we argue constantly among ourselves on sites like this the people folk elected are sleeping soundly in their beds

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 15:21   #37
Beacon of light

I agree that poverty isn't good for anyone...but there has been too much made of 'What's the government doing about it?'
There is too much reliance on other agencies, when people should take some responsibility for themselves.
With rights, go responsibilities but it appears that people do not want to be responsible for themselves.

And those who abuse the welfare system are cheats, and lazy.

Politicians do not control my thoughts. I have not lost the power of critical thinking, of observation of those who live in and around me.

If someone who is rich is looking for someone who will polish his/her parquet flooring...they are unlikely to get a Brit to do it...it is much more likely that someone from the Eastern Bloc, who actually wants to work will do it for them.

As to your last question - well, what do you think the answer would be?
To be empowered you need to want to contribute.
Reducing crime and tackling anti-social behaviour is not as simple as you would have us believe....it is a multi-faceted problem which needs a multi-faceted response.
As for poor people being so last century - the poor will always be with us...and poverty today isn't like the poverty of the last century...todays poverty is the poverty of ideals,aspirations and ethics......with a mobile phone in a tattooed hand

My answer is - You are asking far too many questions!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 15:30   #38
Beacon of light

Quote:
A lot of the people who "benefit bash" don't stop to think that they are also getting benefits - child benefit? Working tax credits? Even single people getting their 25% council tax reduction are benefiting, so what next? We attack all single people now?

One thing is for certain - while we argue constantly among ourselves on sites like this the people folk elected are sleeping soundly in their beds
There is a difference. The difference is if you are working then you are contributing to the general wealth of the country, and these so called benefits is the government taking with one hand and giving back with the other.
If you are working you will be paying taxes.......if you are not working then you are not only NOT paying tax...you are not contributing to the wealth of the country.

I do not consider my pension to be a benefit because I worked all my life to earn it. I even paid extra in to the system to get a pension uplift.

It isn't benefit bashing, it is being realistic about the facts that some people seem to have the ability to milk the system...to have a better standard of living than some who are working.
This doesn't mean all those on benefits are not deserving...just that some aren't.
Old 08-02-2014, 15:30   #39

Quote:
A lot of the people who "benefit bash"
I'm on benefits so I'm not 'benefit bashing', just ill thought out post bashing.

Quote:
Even single people getting their 25% council tax reduction are benefiting, so what next? We attack all single people now?
If you do a search of the site you will find a thread about the so called bedroom tax, single people are already being attacked.

Quote:

Whom is arguing? you are attempting to make sense of our corrupt world and failing...

...miserably, unfortunately.
Old 08-02-2014, 15:31   #40
Beacon of light

What we are doing is called discussion, it isn't an argument.
Old 08-02-2014, 15:32   #41
Beacon of light

Sorry Less, you got the bit about arguing in ahead of me.
Old 08-02-2014, 15:33   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
of observation of those who live in and around me.
You have people living in you? Any room for a little one? I'll only need one bedroom or whatever your equivalent is.
Old 08-02-2014, 16:54   #43
Beacon of light

No Less...not any more...I have cast out the devil
Old 08-02-2014, 23:32   #44

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:

Where are you getting the evidence for these sweeping statements? The Beano?

Those of us who 'benefit bash' do not 'bash' those in real need. They bash fraudsters like this one...

£94k benefits cheat evicted from Hyndburn home (From Lancashire Telegraph)

Thieves, like the cretin above, fuel the fires for threads titled 'benefits hmmmm'. They are a minority, and they are invariably caught because of their innate stupidity and their greed for more gravy.

Welfare benefits are a necessity for some people, and the number in need of them is growing exponentially, thanks to medicine and health awareness allowing us to live longer, and, bankers, government and technological advance destroying jobs.

We are throwing billions in foreign aid to spacefaring nations whilst our own are left without power and homes because it rains hard. We cut aid to our own infirm and sick whilst affording the multi national super corporations tax loopholes.

I'm guessing from the posts I've seen on this forum in numerous threads over the years, that everyone knows this.....

So what is your point?
Old 09-02-2014, 08:58   #45
Beacon of light

Guinness, I think I get his point.
He is hoping to stimulate debate on a subject which polarises opinion.
I know, I know...we have had it all before.

Maybe the program about the Birmingham street has brought it to the fore......but media always portray the worst side of anything...they sensationalise to make the viewing figures worth it for the advertisers to invest money.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..