Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-03-2010, 10:37   #1
Resting in Peace

Bet they don't celebrate Valentines day there

Britons sentenced to a month in prison for kissing in Dubai restaurant - Telegraph
Wow a month in jail or a peck
Old 15-03-2010, 10:54   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: Bet they don't celebrate Valentines day there

As much as I bang on about people that come to Britain to live, and that they should integrate into the community, whilst keeping their cultural identity, and that they aren't helped by the wooly liberals, who translate everything for them in perpetuity, and prevent this happening.

The same applies when we go to live, work, or holiday in other countries. You should respect the laws, and customs of those countries, or face the consequences.

If you're a big social drinker, like al fresco loving, and the odd spliff, it's probably wise not to apply for a job in Saudi. If you do, and do what you'd do here, don't bleat if you're caught, and face the punishment that the host country sees fit.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2010, 11:06   #3
Resting in Peace

And always read their Highway Code before driving in a foreign country ...
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2010, 16:05   #4
God Member

the ironic thing is its one of the most sordid places on earth wealthy arabs, drugs , prostitutes and 24 hour parties infatct people are saying they have deliberatly targeted and made an example of them as people who visit teh area are saying nothing is done when other people kiss in teh street .

Quote:

My husband has worked there for many years and it is a hypocritical country. The muslim arabs all come in from other areas to indulge in prostitution and alcohol especially at weekends. I've spent many a night asking to be moved from hotel rooms where the locals are partying next door with a string of prostitutes, I have also seen young arab couples kissing and holding hands in public on many occasions.
maybe they should scream " is it coz i iz white " and see how far that gets them and see if they are as keen to bend over backwards as we are to them when they come here

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 15-03-2010 at 16:11.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2010, 16:30   #5
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
the ironic thing is its one of the most sordid places on earth wealthy arabs, drugs , prostitutes and 24 hour parties infatct people are saying they have deliberatly targeted and made an example of them as people who visit teh area are saying nothing is done when other people kiss in teh street .

maybe they should scream " is it coz i iz white " and see how far that gets them and see if they are as keen to bend over backwards as we are to them when they come here
Strongly recommend you don't ! (Bend over backwards that is funny lot these Arabs, you might get more than you bargained for )
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2010, 16:34   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Strongly recommend you don't ! (Bend over backwards that is funny lot these Arabs, you might get more than you bargained for )
well i know they smoke cammels and im pretty sure thay have a brand of ciggarette called cammel too

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 15-03-2010, 16:48   #7
Senior Member+

They do celebrate St valentine's but in private - when in Rome, do as Romans do. I have worked in that area (the Gulf), for over 17 years, so I do have a rough idea of how things work:-))
Old 15-03-2010, 17:08   #8
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
They do celebrate St valentine's but in private - when in Rome, do as Romans do. I have worked in that area (the Gulf), for over 17 years, so I do have a rough idea of how things work:-))
Them Romans were a right debauched bunch, if you did half the things they did it wouldn't be just your paws they'd be choppin' off ! as to the Gulf I worked there for 6 month (Saudi,Kuwait,Iraq) can't say I was overly impressed with what I saw though
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2010, 17:10   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
my mates dad worked in saudi arabia for many years for teh sultan of oman , its perfectly acceptable to take pot shots at people for fun with a rifle yet you can be flogged in the street for been drunk, he was also offered 2 cammels for his wife which he later regreted not taking

a very parculiar country and altholugh i agree you should follow the laws of a country this kissing law is probably unheard of by most tourists and if they see others doing it then they cant realy be blamed for thinking it was ok infact i dare say it didnt cross tehir mind that kissing your parthner is a crime because it is such a ludricous law to start with.

a simple warning woudl have surficed but examples must be made of tourists i guess

Old 18-03-2010, 05:09   #10
Junior Member+

First of all this happened in Dubai not the magic kingdom of Saudi which is very different. Most things are alowed here including drinking and prositution. From my own info these people made the cardinal sin of getting into an argument with a local woman. They should have said sorry and walked away, they didn't and when the police came they had technically broken the law by drinking without a licenece and kissing in public. The police had no option but to take them in.

Once you are involved withe the law out here you are going to be in trouble and they will throw all they can at you. Now they have gone public and to the western press the UAE will not want to back down they will lose the appeal and spend a few nights in a loverly jail and then get thrown out. At least one month is only 23 days in Dubai.

Mike

Last edited by Mick; 18-03-2010 at 05:37. Reason: language
spartans53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2010, 06:54   #11
God Member

hang on spartan.."one month is only 23 days in Dubai" how can a month be only 23 days?...if it is then Cashy will be shootin off over there to do his regular 2 months in nick..It'll save him a few extra days on here tryin to make out he's been on holiday
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2010, 07:01   #12
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
hang on spartan.."one month is only 23 days in Dubai" how can a month be only 23 days?
Because they don't use the Christian calendar, but the Islamic one, which is based on the lunar calendar, which has 354/5 days per year.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2010, 07:18   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Because they don't use the Christian calendar, but the Islamic one, which is based on the lunar calendar, which has 354/5 days per year.
Jesus .. these people are just not playing by the same rules and should be invaded without a UN mandate!
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2010, 08:48   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartans53 View Post
Most things are alowed here including drinking and prositution
perhaps they shoulda skipped kissing and just screwed each other and saved a whole load of hassle then lol

Old 18-03-2010, 10:57   #15
Junior Member+

The answer is that one month is 30 days but you get 7 off for good conduct. I am involved with a Rugby Club here and we get lads locked up on a regular basis. Drinking and driving is one month automatic and drinking and fighting is about 500 Quid fine and a few days in the police cells. On visits the Jail doesn't look too nice and no one has asked to go back. I know the police cells in Accy used to get the Hargreaves to do the Breakfasts but I'm guessing the Full English is off the menu here. Plus Bacon is only available in the back of supermarkets in small areas that lool like sex shops if I knew what one of them looked like

Mike
spartans53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..