Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2016, 08:42   #1
Senior Member+

Beware

Beware of pickpockets working in and around the Arndale. An elderley neighbour of mine went into the Card Factory yesterday and was bumped into by a woman carrying a card. When the neighbour went to pay for her cards her purse had been stolen. She informed the young girl behind the counter who did not seem a bit concerned. The only reply that my neighbour got was that the cctv had broken.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-02-2016, 09:50   #2
Beacon of light

Re: Beware

Frank something like this happened to Ma many years ago.
I got some jngly jangly handbag ornaments and attached them to her purse.
If anyone tried to get her purse these not only jingle, but they catch on things making it much less easy to slide a purse out without your knowledge.

I have also noticed that many people of my age have litlle bells attached to their purses.
These are often given by PCSO's in town centres. This is a fine way of ensuring t hat you are alerted if someone tries to pick your bag or pocket.

I know that all this advice is too late for your neighbour(who no doubt will be feeling very upset by this incident) but these are ploys whereby we can try and deny thieves the chance of making us victims.
jelly baby, Balbus and Michael1954 like this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 10:28   #3

Good advice and tip, Margaret.

Max: It's disappointing that the girl behind the counter seemed not to be concerned. She should be if thieves are operating in her shop. I assume this theft has been reported to the police.
Balbus likes this.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 10:41   #4
Senior Member+

No the lady said there was not much money in her purse and does not want the hassle of police involved
Old 07-02-2016, 10:47   #5
Beacon of light

If she was anything like my mum, then the money would have been of secondary importance.
The things my mum lost was my dads obituary and a much loved photo of him and some religious medals with a prayer card given to her by an old(deceased) friend.
I replaced the picture of my dad and got a copy of the obituary, but the religious medals and the prayer card were irreplaceable(and of no value to the thief).
It isn't just the loss, it is the feeling of someone having duped you, it is the feeling stupid,the embarrassment, it dents confidence and the feeling of security......and those are things which take time to get back...and in some older people they are never regained
Old 07-02-2016, 11:06   #6
God Member

pickpockets have been a problem in the arndale for years infact from the day it opened almost

i remember signs been put up warning people of pickpockets because while people were gawping up at that world clock pickpockets were having the time of their lives

the police should be informed they cant do anything about it if they arnt made aware of it

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 11:49   #7
Full Member+

I hope your neighbour is feeling a bit better now. It is a very upsetting thing to happen to anyone but the elderly especially. As Margaret rightly says it is not always the money that is most upsetting but things of a sentimental nature that can never be replaced. The bells on purses and bags is a good idea. I do hope the lady has her confidence restored soon.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 12:02   #8
God Member

i think the attitude of the staff member was appalling i dont care what wage level you are on theres no need to be cold hearted and ignorant to someone in distress

get robbed in our shop and we dont care is hardly a good image for a company that trades in an industry that revolves around good will and thought for others

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 07-02-2016, 12:17   #9
Beacon of light

I think that Accyman is right about getting the police involved.
They need to know so that they can keep a better watch on the place.
This does not remove the shoppers responsibility to ensure that their property is safe, but is another layer of security.
I think that seeing a police presence around town is no bad thing....and when the police move into the refurbed premises on Broadway I suppose there WILL be more of them about in town
Old 07-02-2016, 13:40   #10
God Member

it can get very crowded in that shop and ideal for pick pockets to operate in

it wasnt long ago the press was warning about professional pick pocket operations/gangs coming in from outside the UK but despite been true its a bit racist to say it now

sadly pick pocketing is a big problem it just dosnt get reported enough in the press and awareness should be raised

Old 07-02-2016, 14:10   #11
Senior Member+

The shop assistant said it had happened before,so why did they not get their cctv fixed? It is one shop I will avoid.
Greeny likes this.
Old 07-02-2016, 14:42   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
The shop assistant said it had happened before,so why did they not get their cctv fixed? It is one shop I will avoid.
if the till got robbed it would be fixed in a heart beat

Old 07-02-2016, 22:18   #13

Sadly, this sort of thing happens all over. My Mum's purse was stolen while she was shopping in the pet food section of a department store here in Canada. An apparently nice gentleman was asking her advice as to what dog food he should buy. As she turned to help him, an accomplice made off with her purse. She didn't realize it until she was at the checkout, then remembered being distracted and jostled. Your suggestion of bells is a good one, Margaret. I'll pass that onto her. Incidentally, she didn't report it to the police either. I wish she would've.
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:29   #14

A length of string tied between bag & purse works well too.
May handbags (so I can see from my wife's) have little clasps on a length of material that could also be used for this.

Just enough to get the purse out & use but not to take away.

Cheers for the warning though.
RainbowSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:07   #15
Beacon of light

I was told by the PCSO's who were giving out the little bells, that some thieves go equipped with small blades to cut zips and anything that could attach a purse.....and she was pleased when she saw my purse with all the jangly things on it.
I told her that this was as a result of Ma being targeted.....I still got bells to go on my purse too.....but my jangly bits are all irregular shapes and would snag on other stuff if someone tried to take my purse.
I also have a lanyard style thing that attaches inside my bag with a lobster claw, but I don't use this very much.
If I am going somewhere like Manchester, I take only the money I think I am going to spend and although I take my debit card I take it out of my purse.
I could tell you where I put it......but I won't!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..