Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2007, 20:41   #1
Apprentice Geriatric

Angry Big Brother Has Finally Arrived.

Taken from the BBC Ceefax news pages:
Information about all landline and mobile phone calls made in the UK MUST be logged and stored for a year under new laws.

Data about calls made and received will also be available to 652 public bodies, including the police and councils.

The Home Office said the content of the calls and text would not be read and insisted the move was vital to tackle serious crime and terrorism.

But critics said it was another example of Britain’s “surveillance society”.

Someone please remind me again that we are not sleepwalking, nay galloping, towards becoming a Police State. Because it sure looks like it to me.
Old 01-10-2007, 20:47   #2
God Member

Re: Big Brother Has Finally Arrived.

What the hell are the playing at doing this? The cower at human rights when thrust at them yet sneak in something under I no doubt is anti terror laws!! Ok might eventually lead to convictions but only because it holds all and sundry. is this to save the hassle of asking for official sanction of line tapping?

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 20:58   #3
God Member

Another media hyped story. Phone companies have always kept records, all they have done now is put a legal time limit on it.
Old 01-10-2007, 21:00   #4
Apprentice Geriatric

Angry Re: Big Brother Has Finally Arrived.

Well I didn’t vote them in. Not that the other lot would be any different.

Using the same tactic of fighting serious crime and terrorism as an excuse the government wanted photo ID cards for everyone, then sought DNA samples from everyone and now this.

Big Brother is coming and no one is doing anything about it.
Old 01-10-2007, 21:01   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Another media hyped story. Phone companies have always kept records, all they have done now is put a legal time limit on it.
Now that I didnt know?

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 21:06   #6
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Keeping records is one thing and of course we knew that phone companies kept records. But that is a far cry from keeping the actual content of text messages and phone calls.

The Home Office said the content of the calls and text would not be read and insisted the move was vital to tackle serious crime and terrorism.
Meaning that they could be read if the desire was there.
Old 01-10-2007, 21:31   #7

I am not saying that it can't be done but I find it very hard to fathom the amount of space needed to hold 12 months of all telephone calls made to and from all landlines and mobiles in the UK.

Basic data of to whom and when yes I can accept, the actual calls, very hard to comprehend. Texts maybe.

The 652 bodies will be the local authorities, different police forces and the equivalent govt. agencies.

As Lancsdave said I believe this is hyped to stir up the libertarians.

As no calls have been used in court as evidence, apart from ones where a warrant has been issued to put a wire on, to me this ads further evidence that this is a scaremongering story.
Stanaccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 21:43   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanaccy View Post
I am not saying that it can't be done but I find it very hard to fathom the amount of space needed to hold 12 months of all telephone calls made to and from all landlines and mobiles in the UK.

Basic data of to whom and when yes I can accept, the actual calls, very hard to comprehend. Texts maybe.

The 652 bodies will be the local authorities, different police forces and the equivalent govt. agencies.

As no calls have been used in court as evidence, apart from ones where a warrant has been issued to put a wire on, to me this ads further evidence that this is a scaremongering story.
When it says details will be kept I'm pretty sure it means date,time, ect. No way could they keep details of content. That would be some storage requirement
Old 01-10-2007, 21:44   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

well if they read some of the filthy jokes i send by text, should either amuse or disgust some of em.
Old 01-10-2007, 21:45   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
well if they read some of the filthy jokes i send by text, should either amuse or disgust some of em.

Would be pointless storing my heavy breathing too
Old 01-10-2007, 21:46   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Will p.m. you my mobile number .....
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 21:50   #12
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanaccy View Post

File compression has progressed in leaps and bounds over the years so the vast amounts of space required are not quite as vast. So has the size of digital storage space and the speed of access. The files are getting smaller and the storage has been getting larger. Just look at the hard drives that you can buy these days. 500GB seems to be the norm these days and it is no larger than the old 100MB hard drive.

Take a wav file of a record at around 35MB - that can get compressed down as an MP3 file of about 3MB max. Text files are even easier to compress with even better ratios.

A telephone call is analogue sound just like a record. A text message is just like a saved file in a word processor.

It is only a matter of time before this stored ‘evidence’ will be accepted in a court of law without a warrant being issued.

The government hasn’t just put a legal time limit on it lancsdave, they are legitimising what is already happening before there is a leak or someone blows the whistle.
Old 01-10-2007, 21:53   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
The government hasn’t just put a legal time limit on it lancsdave, they are legitimising what is already happening before there is a leak or someone blows the whistle.
Precisely they already have the information they require.As with everything else I have nothing to hide so therefore nothing to fear. In this day and age only Big Brother techniques will fight the morons ruining the world.
Old 01-10-2007, 21:58   #14
God Member

Quote:
Precisely they already have the information they require.As with everything else I have nothing to hide so therefore nothing to fear. In this day and age only Big Brother techniques will fight the morons ruining the world.
nail on head Dave

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 22:17   #15
God Member

Quote:
Exactly if it helps to catch one terrorist then carry on with it!!!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..