Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-02-2005, 19:24   #136
God Member

Re: big bumps on the coppice...?

Hey, you were right about the view point though!
Old 17-02-2005, 19:48   #137
I am Banned

As usual this all seems a huge waste of money that could be better spent on improving flagging urban areas of the town
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2005, 20:11   #138
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss
Why don't I read more posts first of course it's Bedlam in the distance.
Hey no way, don't want that thing up there at Bedlam. Would spoil views from the golf course

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2005, 20:16   #139

which golf course is that?
fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2005, 20:52   #140
Member.

A-b I haven't been following what's going here all that much, but thanks for posting the photos it’s nice to see them.....Any chance of you telling us where you find the Arial Photos. Excellent shots and I must admit I would love to see some Arial shots of Church and the Fern Gore, bedlam and Green Haworth areas.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2005, 20:52   #141
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by park381
Hey no way, don't want that thing up there at Bedlam. Would spoil views from the golf course
Thats a point, maybe they should put it on the golf course
1. It would be useful for the golfers, it would give them some chipping practice or whatever they call it
2. I would never see it

www.ubuntu.com

Last edited by K.S.H; 17-02-2005 at 20:53.
K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2005, 20:56   #142
Full Member+

If this thing does`nt now need to be situated on a prominent point on the landscape ( Though I thought that was the point!) how about building it on the site of Huncoat Power station, formerly home of Zeri.
Old 17-02-2005, 21:03   #143
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman
which golf course is that?
The one on the moors........................why you wana join

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2005, 21:47   #144
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
A-b I haven't been following what's going here all that much, but thanks for posting the photos it’s nice to see them.....Any chance of you telling us where you find the Arial Photos. Excellent shots and I must admit I would love to see some Arial shots of Church and the Fern Gore, bedlam and Green Haworth areas.
Try this site Doug, I think it's where AB gets them.
http://mario.lancashire.gov.uk/

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2005, 21:49   #145
Member.

Nice one Bagpuss. Thanks for that.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2005, 05:21   #146
God Member

Thanks Bagpuss, Mario is exactly the place, The best thing that Lancashire County Council has ever done! Though you will need a screen capture program to grab the images because they have disabled right click/save.

Uncle Mick: Sorry, it can't go on the Huncoat Power Station site because that is where Lancs CC plans to build the Waste Treatment Plant that will take and recycle rubbish from the whole of Lancashire.
Old 18-02-2005, 10:01   #147
God Member

I have just had a look at the article on page 35 of this week's Observer. In effect her replies are largely similar to the emailed replies Ms Knight sent in response to questions asked by accyweb members - almost verbatim in many instances!

There are some answers which stand out however and bear repeating:

Q. Who will maintain the site after the Panopticon is built?
A. Maintainance will remain with Hyndburn Council as it is now.

Considering that the council cannot afford to remove the christmas illuminations from the town centre and have allowed the footpaths in the area fall into neglect, this seems to me to be niaive and unrealistic in the extreme.

Q. Will it interfere with the view?
A. The panopticon will allow people to stand higher on the coppice, giving a better view of the town and a vantage point to view the trenches in all their glory.

RUBBISH! These structure are going to be twenty feet high, there will be no appreciable difference in the view of the town resulting from such a relatively insignificant increase in viewing height. At the moment the trenches are largely covered with heather and as such are largely invisible, unless you already know where to look for them. Again an increase in viewing height will do nothing to change this.

Q. Will it damage the natural environment?
A. No, Peter Beard (the designer) is working with an ecologist (unnamed) to ensure that all natural wildlife and vegetation is considered.

So, the heather will be conserved and the rhododendrons taking root will be allowed to remain and eventually take over the site. The stands of larch will contine to grow and obscure the view of the panopticon still further. As the heather and hhododendrons expand, the indigenous moorland wildlife will be forced out and walking around the trenches will be made even more difficult than it already is.

Q. Will it be a huge eye-sore?
A. It will have very little impact on the skyline when viewed from the town. It is more "impactful" (not a real word) when viewed from the air In fact it will be a landmark from the sky as it will be the largest earth work of its kind in the UK and will have enormous marketing potential for Accrington and East Lancashire.

Ms Knight appears to be of the opinion that the ownership and use of light aircraft is fairly common in Accrington, there can be little sense in making such a comment otherwise. There can be little point in creating a landmark that cannot be seen. I do think that she is pushing the spin a bit too far with her claim of it being the largest earth-work in the UK. Errmm... Maden Castle, Silbury Hill, Offa's Dyke, the Cerne Abbas Giant, are all earth-works that would put the Panopticon in the shade.

It is clear, to me at least, that this woman has not got a clue what she is talking about, and is merely the mouthpiece of the North West Development Agency, spouting marketing gibberish in support of an ill-considered, underfunded and poorly prepared proposal.
Old 18-02-2005, 10:48   #148
Beacon of light

I tell you A-B, you are wasting your talents....... think you should definitely consider a career in local government......you certainly have more idea than some of the witless morons we are paying at the moment.
I agree with you about Gayle Knights grip of the situation......however did she get her job?
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2005, 11:16   #149
God Member

Probably because she has a degree in Media Studies, which appears to have replaced Sociology as the subject of choice for the vast flocks of "Daddy's Little Princesses" who are too special and talented to do a real job.
Old 18-02-2005, 11:26   #150
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Oooh AB, how scathing of you, I hope you never consider a degree in Midwifery to be a waste as I would not like to be on the receiving end of such a comment Had a reply from our glorious leader this morning. It has taken a week and is very short as you will see.

"Good morning

Thank you for your email. I was very interested to hear your views and I personally have not expressed an opinion.

I am bearing in mind all the comments received as the time will come shortly when a decision has to be made.

Peter Britcliffe."

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..