Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2005, 13:14   #46
God Member

Re: big bumps on the coppice...?

Ha ha we have a reply !We are confident that there will be further investment based on what has happened in other areas. If there isn’t, responsibility for maintaining the site will rest with Hyndburn Borough Council. They are currently responsible for maintaining the site so that would not change anything.

Gayle Knight

Marketing Officer

Mid Pennine Arts

01282 421986
Old 11-02-2005, 13:39   #47
God Member

I got the same reply as you and Lettie, Tinkerbelle, with an added line to cover one point raised in my email.

From your second reply Tinkerbelle it seems that since maintenance will rest, as expected, with HBC. Nothing will be done because there will always be something else to spend the money on. The site will be left to degenerate and we will have yet another eyesore to deal with.
Old 11-02-2005, 13:43   #48
God Member

Tealeaf; The project will cost £50,000. The cost of upgrading of paths, a further £50,000 to £100,000, will eventually have to be found by HBC, but I don't think they realise this yet.
Old 11-02-2005, 13:46   #49
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob

From your second reply Tinkerbelle it seems that since maintenance will rest, as expected, with HBC. Nothing will be done because there will always be something else to spend the money on. The site will be left to degenerate and we will have yet another eyesore to deal with.
We know this AB shame people that have the authority to drop a monstrosity on top of the Coppice have a miss placed faith in HBC and there 'maintenance'. Just out of interest have they EVER maintained anything?? Lovely gardens on Broadway and then go and rip them up and leave us with an eye sore!! Oh dear my blood is boiling!!!
Old 11-02-2005, 14:16   #50
God Member

Tee Hee! Go and have a look at the mess they have created in Oak Hill Park. Not only will your blood boil but you will be spitting feathers to boot!
Old 11-02-2005, 14:50   #51
God Member

It might interest some of you to know that the chap who designed the lumps is called Peter Beard and he is an architect who teaches, part-time, in London and has a vague interest in post industrial landscapes and designing .....wait for it....
Business Parks.

Not an internationally aclaimed sculptor or artist. Not that we could expect someone of the stature of say Henry Moore or Anthony Gormley, though it would have been nice. No, we have to put up with some southern chancer who couldn't give a tinker's cuss about Hyndburn, it's history or it's people.

I doubt that he has even been anywhere near the coppice. If he had he would know that his lumps would be obscured from view by the trees growing on the side, thus rendering the whole aim of the project pointless.
Old 11-02-2005, 15:11   #52
God Member

Do you have his address A-B? I could go round there later on and put a few bumps on his head.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 15:16   #53
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
Do you have his address A-B? I could go round there later on and put a few bumps on his head.
good idea m8

if his adress is obtainable there are plenty of select sites i could subscribe him to..

lets see how he likes rubbish been dumped on his doorstep :-)
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 15:19   #54
God Member

This is the joker....it looks like its going to be even worse than we thought.

http://www.nesta.org.uk/ourawardees/...2_profile.html
Old 11-02-2005, 15:58   #55
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Had another reply but for some reason I can't paste it onto here. She harps on about RECLAIM which is a company who try and tart up derelict and unused land and that there is a possibility of funding coming from them. I have replied as I find it offensive for someone to class the Coppice as derelict and unused. I'm sure that many other dog walkers, horse riders and locals out for a stroll will feel the same way. She says that a public meeting is to be announced. Yeah right.....

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..

Last edited by lettie; 11-02-2005 at 16:04.
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 16:02   #56
God Member

37 Jackson Road
LONDON
N7 6EG
landline +44 (0)20 7700 2792
mobile +44 (0) 7905 857478
Old 11-02-2005, 16:06   #57
land of hope and glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibi
don't mean to appear rude but what exactly are the council planning to do.
fibi they are going to lay you down on top of the coppice for all the world to stare at!...he...hee
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 16:16   #58
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
37 Jackson Road
LONDON
N7 6EG
landline +44 (0)20 7700 2792
mobile +44 (0) 7905 857478
thankyou

ok now to

a: activate popup blocker

b: enter select words into google

c: create email account in the name of peterbeard so i can authorise delivery of mail from dodgy sites

chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 16:16   #59
land of hope and glory

on a thread started by fireman you can see the coppice, it takes me back to my younger days when comming back off holidays you would look for the landmark and see the eagle on the front over looking accrington like a guardian angel,lets get rid of the trees and bring the eagle back that way the trenches wont get spoilt.
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 16:18   #60
God Member

Surely instead of ****ing thirty thousand quid or whatever away on this monstosity the MPAA could spend it on re-siting and doing up the Arndale Clock?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..