Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2005, 08:21   #76
God Member

Re: big bumps on the coppice...?

Yeah, like blind people are really going to be flocking up there to enjoy the view! I'll leave aside questions of how people in wheelchairs are going to get up there.

Last edited by Acrylic-bob; 12-02-2005 at 08:48.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-02-2005, 12:53   #77
Resident Waffler

That's the point though - it has to be accessable to them if they felt the inclination. (pun intended)

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 14:55   #78
Full Member+

Angry Re: big bumps on the coppice...?

Just been up to the reference library and found that the coppice land was gifted by the Peel family to the Borough of Accrington...but with CERTAIN CONDITIONS.. I could`nt find what they were but lets hope they were against despoiling the area!!
Old 12-02-2005, 15:33   #79
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
Yeah, like blind people are really going to be flocking up there to enjoy the view! I'll leave aside questions of how people in wheelchairs are going to get up there.
I did enquire about the wheelchair bound in my e mail, to which Ms Knight replied that Avenue Parade is not the only route up the Coppice. Well said Gayle!! My reply to that one was that all routes were just as steep in places. Being someone who actually walks up the Coppice frequently,using a variety of different routes, I felt qualified to answer. I very much doubt that Ms Knight goes up the Coppice with any regularity. I also said that restoration of the Peel Memorial and a tribute to the Pals would be more apprpriate. She said that Tellytubbyland/Hobbiton wasn't necessarily the final design and that maybe we could have one bearing the Hyndburn Coat of Arms. I have brought up security, car parking, potential felling of trees and disturbance of wildlife especially the deer which inhabit the Coppice (anyone who hasn't seen them get up there on a summer morning at about 5-6am) Security was brushed over, car parking not mentioned and they will preserve the wildlife (she didn't say how) but they will plant some lovely flowers and stuff up there for them. I'm sure that our deer will love it...

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 15:38   #80
Full Member+

You`re right lettie, I`ve known Mrs Knight for about twenty years and I can`t remember her ever going up there!!
Old 12-02-2005, 15:38   #81
Resident Waffler

Sounds like she really knows what she's talking about, doesn't it?. How come everybody has had replies from her but me?

Old 12-02-2005, 15:41   #82
Full Member+

It`s just a job to her, which she is pretty good at but having lived in Ossy all her life she probably needed her Shurmers to find the Coppice
Old 12-02-2005, 19:30   #83
Beacon of light

Like you say Lettie, there is just no way you would get a wheelchair bound person up there unless you use a hoist. I used to run on the coppice in my younger days and the access point I used was via the easterly by pass......I used to call the pathway up there 'heart attack' hill.
It is going to be a real shambles.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 21:28   #84
Full Member+

....and how will they get JCB`s up there. The paths are either too narrow or too steep. Nice to see that this has been well thought out and has the money for renovation of this "rundown spot" been ring-fenced?
Old 12-02-2005, 22:03   #85
Resident Waffler

I bet they haven't even thought about access for the JCBs. I can forsee the road being closed off whilst they approach with them from the point further back than the parking area where there is an incline which is less steep.

Old 12-02-2005, 22:06   #86

Councillor B Will Beam Them Up
fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 22:08   #87
Resident Waffler

He's sounding more and more like his image every day.

Old 12-02-2005, 22:12   #88

What A Plonker
fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2005, 10:07   #89
God Member

>>Just been up to the reference library and found that the coppice land was gifted by the Peel family to the Borough of Accrington...but with CERTAIN CONDITIONS.. I could`nt find what they were but lets hope they were against despoiling the area!!<<

Ooooh! Conditions! We like the idea of that. Conditions can be very useful, very useful indeed. More research needed I think!
Old 13-02-2005, 11:15   #90
Senior Member+

I think willow should print off a few thousand copies of pb poster and send them to the voters next election time.lol

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..