Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-02-2005, 06:19   #106
God Member

Re: big bumps on the coppice...?

Oh, I forgot, I will donate 10,000 Ackers to the bank account of the member who, in my opinion, comes up with the most apt names.
Old 15-02-2005, 06:50   #107
God Member

La la(la la, I'm not listening) Britcliffe
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2005, 11:29   #108
God Member

I received Gayle's reply to my e-mail about 1 hour ago.

Thank you for your comments. In response to your email and some of the
other questions that have been raised by others.

I know I can't change anyone's mind on art - it's a subjective thing and
there are some forms of art that I like and some that I don't too. But
what the paper is failing to tell you is that the 'humps' are just one
of the possible earth works that may be developed. The designer has
done one design which uses some of the elements from the Hyndburn coat
of arms which might be more acceptable to people if the paper was
prepared to admit it. The final design will be developed using children
from the local community - the future generation who are likely to use
the Coppice as you do.

It's part of a wider scheme to get people out into the countryside using
the Regional Park area of East Lancashire. And yes, it is a bit sad
that sometimes someone needs a reason to climb a hill but look how many
people climb up to see Darwen tower simply because it's there (try
knocking that down now and wait for the reaction). This scheme is going
to bring a shed load of money into the town - we know that for a fact
because the Halo (the design originally rejected by Hyndburn) has
attracted further funding for the site on which it is now going in
Rossendale. It is likely that the Coppice will attract similar sorts of
funding (talks are already taking place between two other funders) and
that money will be spent on developing pathways, clearing trees, sorting
out parking and all the other things that are needed. None of the money
spent will come from Hyndburn Borough Council. The Panopticon £50,000
is coming from North West Development Agency and so is allocated for
that purpose, it can not be spent on anything else. If we don't have a
Panopticon we lose the investment.

Plus, it's inward investment so local businesses and local people will
be doing the majority of the work and of course, getting the money for
it.

No harm will be done to the existing monument (although I presume people
won't object if we clean off the graffiti) or the trenches.

It's only when it is put in context that it makes sense. The paper's
question was extremely leading because they haven't given the public all
the facts. If they had said 'Does Accrington want us to invest in its
future?' the result might have been a bit different

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2005, 11:55   #109
God Member

Not content with no reply to my second email of questions, I fired off a reminder. Pestering pays dividends - the reply took 21 minutes.

However, the content of the reply left a lot to be desired. It appears that the ownership of the panopticon will be vested in HBC, as will the responsibility for access and maintenance;" They will be responsible for the maintenance in exactly the same way as they are now, nothing will change."

Intitial funding of £50,000 will come from the North West Development Agency and is ring fenced, so that it cannot be spent on anything else. if we choose not to have one of these things then the funding is withdrawn. Funding for the upgrade of paths etc. is not certain.

I also asked whether the designer, Peter Beard had sucessfully brought any similar projects to completion, and if so what were they. I was referred to his website, which, as far as I can see, does not contain one completed project. Beard, she says, is working with "some" local schoolchildren, whom she describes as "The future users of the Coppice". How nice. What about the current users of the Coppice?

The existing monument and shelter will, apparently, remain in situ, though she has mentioned that they will be cleaned of graffiti.
I omit the remainder of her depressingly enthusiastic padding on purpose.

It seems that in Ms Knight's view this is a "done" deal and one, moreover, that we would be foolish to reject. The only option now is to lobby individual members of the Planning Committee and bombard them with objections in the hope that when this project comes before them they will have no alternative but to reject it.
Old 15-02-2005, 12:19   #110
Beacon of light

I have had no reply to my e-mail to Gayle Knight.......who you might be interested to know, recently gave up her column in The Accrington Observer because it caused her a conflict of interests.......reading previous posts I can see why.
I also e-mailed my local councillor and the e-mail has bounced back three times.
Nothing either from Greg Pope........as you say it looks like the public consultation is just a paper exercise.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 15-02-2005 at 12:26. Reason: sausage fingers....oops!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2005, 12:41   #111
Senior Member+

It's only when it is put in context that it makes sense. The paper's
question was extremely leading because they haven't given the public all
the facts. If they had said 'Does Accrington want us to invest in its
future?' the result might have been a bit different

Of course it would you dont need a secondary education to know if you change questions you get different answers. I think a question like that would evock a response of better infrastructure, bring jobs to the town and clean up the center of Accrington.

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2005, 12:42   #112
God Member

It rather looks as though, despite the hundreds of thousands of pounds lavished on the creation of their website, HBC have still not got their e-act together yet.

Not to worry though, there is always SNAIL MAIL! Besides, a letter in the hand is a lot harder to ignore than an email.

This link should bring up a list of councillors names in "Ward" order, clicking on them will bring you a lovely picture of them... and their home addresses.

http://www.hyndburnbc.gov.uk/Your_Co...asp?order=Ward

*Remember to include the line "Agree to this proposal and I will never vote for you again."*

Last edited by Acrylic-bob; 15-02-2005 at 12:47.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2005, 15:49   #113
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

I have just had the exact reply posted earlier by Yerself. It has taken 3 days but looks like it's a standard reply. I e mailed PB but have had no response, but then again that's hardly surprising is it

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2005, 17:09   #114
God Member

Shes probably got repetitive injury syndromefrom pressing the copy and paste button to many times.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2005, 17:10   #115
God Member

Shes probably got repetitive injury syndromef rom pressing the copy and paste button too many times.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2005, 19:48   #116
Member.

you got piles Tea?........

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2005, 19:53   #117
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington
I also e-mailed my local councillor and the e-mail has bounced back three times.
Why bother with your local Cllr, why not email the "Leader" his email works, have done so several times..............and had replies
May be with all the budget problems, the local Cllr's email links may have been disabled

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

Last edited by park381; 15-02-2005 at 19:56. Reason: another thought
park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2005, 13:43   #118
Senior Member+

Resounding ‘no’ to Coppice plan

OBSERVER readers have given a resounding “no” to proposals to erect a “work of art’’ on top of an Accrington beauty spot.In our exclusive phone poll people voted overwhelmingly against the plans to build a panopticon on top of the Coppice.A total of 321 people rang up to log their votes and a whopping 79 per cent said they did not want see a monument. There were 255 votes against the plan and 66 in favour.The project to place a £50,000 sculpture on the Coppice has proved controversial since it was first broached in 2003, when residents rejected a “flying saucer” design.Three new designs were drawn up for phase two of the project and Landroom – a series of giant earth mounds – has now been chosen as the preferred option.But since the designs were unveiled the Observer has been inundated with letters and phone calls from residents who want the Coppice to be left as unspoiled countryside.

Gayle Knight, spokesperson for Mid-Penine Arts, which is co-ordinating the scheme, said that all comments would be taken on board as part of the official public consultation, which will take place over the next few months.
She added: “Obviously we are interested to hear the views of the public – that is the whole purpose of having such a consultation.
“Quite interestingly, when we did our own consultation around the area our figures showed that over two-thirds of people were in favour of having a sculpture.“Clearly there are a lot of people who have rung your poll line who have not called us to express their views.
“It is important that they let us know because at the moment the only people calling us are people who are in favour of it. While we appreciate people telling the Observer that they are not in favour, which is very valuable, it is important to the process for them to contact us and add to the consultation.”
Leader of Hyndburn Council, Peter Britcliffe, said: “This poll result is a very interesting indication of how Hyndburn people might be feeling on this issue and the Observer is to be congratulated on running it. “I do not want to express my personal view at this stage but I will be working to ensure that all 47 council members get the chance to vote on it rather than just the Planning Committee.”
Looks like Gayle is the one to contact..............Gayle Knight at Mid Pennine Arts on 01282 421986 or 07767 383435

Yorke Street
Burnley
BL1 1HD
Tel: 01282 421 986
Fax: 01282 429 513
Email address:email("info","midpenninearts.org.uk") infomidpenninearts.org.ukinfo[img]/img/atsymbol.gif[/img]midpenninearts.org.uk</a>
Web Site: www.midpenninearts.org.uk

Notes to editors

1. Images of the winning designs are attached. High resolution images may be downloaded from the website at
www.panopticons.uk.net
2. Short biographies of the designers are attached
3. Designers may be contacted through Gayle Knight at Mid Pennine Arts on 01282 421986 or 07767 383435
4. District steering groups are made up of representatives of local communities and local interests. Decisions about designs selected for further development were informed by views expressed by members of the public during the consultation period. They also took into consideration issues of affordability and practicality, quality of design and the interests of groups who stand to benefit.
5. Panopticons is a project of the East Lancashire Environmental Arts Network (ELEAN), which aims to demonstrate the positive role of the arts and cultural activity in the social, economic and physical regeneration of East Lancashire.
6. ELEAN is managed by Mid Pennine Arts and supported by the Northwest Development Agency, the East Lancashire Partnership Regional Park programme, Arts Council England North West, Lancashire County Council, REMADE, Elevate East Lancashire, the local authorities of Blackburn with Darwen, Burnley, Hyndburn, Pendle, Ribble Valley and Rossendale, Rossendale Leisure Trust and Pendle Leisure Trust.
7. Panopticons is linked to Land, an exciting programme of education and creative arts involving local people and schoolchildren working with professional artists to enhance and celebrate their environment. Visit
www.land.uk.net
8. For further information on the Northwest Regional Development Agency, please contact Sarah Harvey, Press Officer, on 01925 400552
9. For further information about the East Lancashire Partnership and the Regional Park Development programme, please contact Narina Riskowitz, Communications Officer, on 01254 300491

Ends
Issue date 04.02.05

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2005, 13:53   #119
I am Banned

Gee dont talk about councillors and Council - they are on a diff planet to us called 'wriggle my way out of everthing to save us butts'
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2005, 13:59   #120
I am Banned

going back to Coppice issue, haven't been up there for ages aint got the energy as i used to th'owd bones u see pmsl ah well my excuse, but hasn't the coppice always had lumps n bumps my backside could testify to that after in my younger days going down the golden eagle on a makeshift black bag sledge for a dare one snowy day.....n god was that scary n ended up smack wallop into a tree....good job i dont have any Jacobs i'd of lost my twinset....pmsl
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..