Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-02-2005, 07:02   #121
God Member

Re: big bumps on the coppice...?

I've been having a bit of a think. The proposers of this project seem determined that it is going to go ahead, regardless of the opinions of the people of Accrington.

They want it on an airy prominence so that it can be seen from the surroundings and also be a place from which to view the surroundings. But the people of Accrington don't want it to disfigure the Coppice. Result - apparent impasse!

The designer, Peter Beard, on his website, waffles at some length about transforming land originally used and then abandoned by industry. Well, happily, "brownfield" sites are not something that we are short of in Hyndburn. There are even a few that meet the criteria of "airy prominence". I can think of three...

Whinney Hill.

The area at the top of Kings Highway. (No.1 on the map)

Snipe Rake (No.2 on the map)

All are the sites of extensive quarrying which has scarred the landscape and rendered it unattractive. All command excellent views over the Calder Valley to Pendle and beyond. All are visible, without obstruction, from surrounding roads and hills. All would benefit from improved access and use.

Problem Solved ?????
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Panopticon Proposal 2.jpg (107.1 KB, 15 views)
Old 17-02-2005, 07:31   #122
God Member

Here are three aerial photos of the suggested areas. (put your cursor over the thumbnail for the location)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kings Highway Aerial.jpg (119.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Snipe Rake Aerial 2 .jpg (76.7 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Whinney Hill Aerial.jpg (114.8 KB, 30 views)
Old 17-02-2005, 07:48   #123
God Member

Oh there is another location I have just found; a place called "Bedlam" which is just above Rothwell Heights and which overlooks Priestly Clough and Woodnook. Like Whinney Hill, it is also accessable by road so no problems for the disabled there.
Old 17-02-2005, 08:43   #124
I am Banned

I agree there Acrylic didnt know it was aptly named lol cos round there is definately Bedlam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
Oh there is another location I have just found; a place called "Bedlam" which is just above Rothwell Heights and which overlooks Priestly Clough and Woodnook. Like Whinney Hill, it is also accessable by road so no problems for the disabled there.
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2005, 08:46   #125
I am Banned

They are not still going on about the so called hollywood sign are they?!? why can they leave natural beauty alone they spoil my loverly view !! What they wanna do is to look after the area n preserve it rather than having some daft idea .... do i need to mention the water fountains nr globe centre that didnt last long!! Has this town got money to waste?!?!
Old 17-02-2005, 12:07   #126
God Member

Acrylic-Biff, The Terrier with Attitude, is so excited about his solution to the problem, he insisted that we go out and take photographs of the various locations and get them posted on here so that you can all see the brilliance of his solution. He was baring his teeth at the time so I thought it safest not to argue.

So, here they are, in no particular order and hot off the digital camera, so to speak.

Speaking for myself I rather feel that Whinney Hill has the edge over the other locations and it has the added bonus of having earth moving equipment almost on site.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bedlam 1a.jpg (103.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Kings Highway 1a.jpg (105.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Snipe Rake 1a.jpg (87.9 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Whinney Hill 1a.jpg (98.3 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by Acrylic-bob; 17-02-2005 at 12:09.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2005, 12:19   #127
I am Banned

I think Acrylic Biff may have a point u know they can stick there art there or snipe rake a 2nd choice. Awww i like Acrylic biffs title ...terrier with attitude LOL
Old 17-02-2005, 13:13   #128
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

The area above Kings Highway looks fantastic from Highams playing field. I let my dog drag me there this morning and that promontary would be a brilliant place to put a panopticon. Though I'm still not happy about the bumps..

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2005, 13:50   #129
God Member

Viewed from the A 56, heading towards Haslingden, the hill is quite impressive. It is also higher than the Coppice, (Coppice-245m, Kings Highway-279m,) according to the Ordinance Survey. In addition there is an already metalled road leading up there which comes off the junction of the A 679 and the A56. The area is currently plagued by flytipping, placing a prestige project there would have the added benefit of forcing the council to do something more about it than putting up a couple of warning notices.
Old 17-02-2005, 16:48   #130
Senior Member+

Scarily enough,in today's Observer [pg 35] Gayle Knight helpfully points out that the bumps will be virtually invisible from the Town and will be more"impactful" from the air!

I will bear this in mind when I next fly over Accrington!!!!
Old 17-02-2005, 17:28   #131
I am Banned

pmsl!!! Lindsay i'll go n get me helicopter from the hanger in the garden just to see the impact lol
Old 17-02-2005, 17:59   #132
Full Member+

I think this is known as spin-doctoring......
Old 17-02-2005, 19:12   #133
God Member

I haven't seen the article yet, I don't get my copy till tomorrow, but her admission of virtual invisibility would seem to render the whole thing pointless. What is the point of spending fifty grand on creating a landmark that no one can see? Sounds like hasty backpeddling to me. Perhaps we should keep up the pressure, at this rate the project will be reduced to next to nothing inside a month.
Old 17-02-2005, 19:15   #134
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
So here they are, in no particular order and hot off the digital camera, so to speak.
AB is it me or is the first picture that you took taken from the tennis courts at Coppice Park and not a picture of Bedlam ???
It sure looks like the top of Avenue Parade / Waddington Road.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2005, 19:19   #135
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Why don't I read more posts first of course it's Bedlam in the distance.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly

Last edited by Bagpuss; 17-02-2005 at 19:44.
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..