Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-07-2008, 10:06   #16
Resting in Peace

Re: Bike Rides along the canal

Just a little wonder on this thread, but still on cycling, now that the kids are on holiday they are using the footpaths around where I live as race track, not so much just the paths, but cutting accross the grass corner and taking blind corners. There are a lot of elderly people live on the estate and I can see some one getting very badly hurt if they are hit with one of these youngsters Only last week a bloke was up in court for killing a young girl by hitting her whilst cycling, an elderly person won't stand a chance if they are hit. I don't know what the answer is but yongsters using these footpaths is very dangerous an I would hate to see someone badly hurt before something is done
Old 31-07-2008, 12:28   #17
Full Member+

Last time I went on the canal, you could go round the back of the wharf pub, and pick up the towpath there and off into Blackburn (or even Chorley) Another good route is from Barrow, just past the golf club and there is a cycle route all the way to Downham, reasonably flat and comparativly traffic free.
Old 31-07-2008, 12:56   #18
God Member

As I work next to the canal at Eanam flashy I can tell you that when you get to the wharf from the Range direction you can walk behind the pub and through the car park towards the bridge that goes over the canal and then back on to the tow path again...

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2008, 17:12   #19
God Member

went to investigate earlier and we went straight through the wharf and there was no boat yard there lol we got as far as Bennington street the it started pouring down, so we cycled into town instead, next time we'll go further (probably tomorrow if its nice) just been down to Kev's to tell him that he was wrong and he said it was about 4/5 years ago since he last went that way lol

caught some little toerag graffiti-ing on the red bridge, he'd climbed over it and was dangling from it whilst doing his 'tag', Reece was gobsmacked, i hope he fell in, he deserved to, he wasnt a kid either, he must have been at least 26/27
Old 08-08-2008, 21:32   #20
God Member

Just got back from yet another bike ride, this time there where 4 of us who went, Me, Haworth, Reece and Haworths son Jack....what a laugh we had...

We set off at 7.40pm, got onto the canal at The Range and didnt stop till we got to The Moorings pub near the Infirmary (well we had to stop there didnt we) 2 halves of lager for me and 2 malibu and cokes for Haworth and we set back off again, had a nosey around tesco on the way back.

what a nice evening we had, giggling to ourselves on the way back and whistling at nice looking fella's, i dont know how the hell we managed to get back in one piece
Old 08-08-2008, 22:06   #21
Resting in Peace

How lovely Flashy .. good to hear you were giggling. What happy memories Reece will have of his mum .. x
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 23:53   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart View Post
you have ALWAYS needed a permit for cycling on the canal lol, they dont cost anything, you just print them off the net, you have to carry them with you whenever you cycle along the canal
Seriously? Ive never needed one at any time on the canal. Cant think of any use for one either really.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:18   #23
God Member

http://www.waterscape.com/media/docu...n_towpaths.pdf
There ya go aleks, top of page, you must display a permit when cycling on the towpath!
Old 09-08-2008, 08:38   #24
God Member

Kate, i think me and Haworth where giggling cos we'd had a drink, you are right about memories though, thats why i take Reece to as many different places as possible, so he will have memories of me when i'm gone, my mum died when i was 15 and i dont really have many memories of her and i dont want that to be the case with Reece
Old 09-08-2008, 09:39   #25

Quote:
Kate, i think me and Haworth where giggling cos we'd had a drink, you are right about memories though, thats why i take Reece to as many different places as possible, so he will have memories of me when i'm gone, my mum died when i was 15 and i dont really have many memories of her and i dont want that to be the case with Reece
100% seriously shaz that is nice and the lad is lucky you put so much time into that.
Old 30-08-2008, 21:24   #26
God Member

well what a lovely day we have had on our bikes yet again...

got on the canal this afternoon at the Hare and Hounds pub at Westend, decided to go towards Church and come off at Jacksons Farm....huh...how awful is that canal around Church now?? its dismal and the paths are atrotious(sp?) the so called paths(well the bit that isnt covered in grass) are extremely narrow even for a bike to ride along, there's that many pot holes i thought i would end up in the canal more than once, when we eventually got to the swing bridge at the bottom of Jacksons farm i looked to the top of the farm and thought 'it didnt look like that when i was a kid, what the hells happened to it?' it was all over grown and now there is a fence all the way up next to the so called path, its about 17 years ago since i was last up there but it has changed so much...anyway we eventually got to the top and crossed over the road to the cemetary, nipped in to the cemetary to say 'hi' to mi mother then went off to Thorneyholme road to see mi mate

set off back from my mates at 9pm and got back to Intack on our bikes at 9.50pm (plus we where accosted at church traffic lights for 10 minutes talking to chav) so 40 minutes from Thorneyholme Road back to Intack, not bad eh

at least the weathers been fine

ok waffling over for now

oh and if theres any spelling mistakes please forgive me, i'm knackered

Last edited by flashy; 30-08-2008 at 21:26.
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2008, 07:21   #27
Junior Member+

Used to pedal out of Blackburn on the canal paths. I found it alot safer than pedalling on the roads at 8:00AM in the morning. I had a flat right in the middle behind Asda where the little stone bridge is. 7-8 years ago I used to pedal everyday the other way towards Preston to work. I had a spell of abot 3months last year doing it. In the summer you can't beat it. If you carry on along past Ewood and about a mile past Feniscowles you come to a proper "Boatyard" pub where you can stop for pints and foods (don't be confused with another "boatyard" - which is about 5-6 barges in a row where people are living on them - it is another 10-15mins past this). Would probably be a 10-15 mile bike ride from Accy though - a round trip and you'd be ready for the London Olympics!
Frames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2008, 07:32   #28
Resident Waffler

I never knew you needed a permit to cycle along the canal towpath either. It's just always been something I've known that people did, cycling. I always used to go for walks along the canal when I worked in Clayton and have walked from Accy to Burnley on the towpath and along the Lancaster canal when we've been up at Carnforth. Seen lots of people cycling along. How about fishing there? Do you need a permit for that?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2008, 10:28   #29
God Member

yeah you also need a permit for fishing (not that everyone abides by these rules though) dad had to get one when he took Reece fishing on the canal the other month, but saying that WHO would want to get ANYTHING from the canal? i know i wouldnt, i remember my dad saying that you have to throw all the fish back in the canal that you catch, i wouldnt wanna be eating them anyway ewwwwwwww not from the smelly canal
Old 31-08-2008, 14:14   #30
God Member

Quote:
yeah you also need a permit for fishing (not that everyone abides by these rules though) dad had to get one when he took Reece fishing on the canal the other month, but saying that WHO would want to get ANYTHING from the canal? i know i wouldnt, i remember my dad saying that you have to throw all the fish back in the canal that you catch, i wouldnt wanna be eating them anyway ewwwwwwww not from the smelly canal

Ride upto Clayton and pop in for a brew
I'll pm ya my number so ya can txt me when ya about

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..