Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-07-2008, 17:22   #1
God Member

Bike Rides along the canal

Reece and i went for a lovely bike ride the other day along the canal, we got on at the Hare and Hounds at Westend and cycled all the way back to the Range at Blackburn, it only took us just over an hour and the sites we saw where gorgeous.

We where going to have another bike ride along the canal this evening, we where going to go from The Range (old B&Q) to the Infirmary, but ive just been told that you cant get all the way to the Infirmary on the canal, apparently it stops just after Eanam Warf because of the boat yard and you cant get back on it till the locks at the Infirmary, i was gutted

I've even got my Bike permits sorted too lol
Old 30-07-2008, 17:42   #2
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Re: Bike Rides along the canal

Bike permit? what they for?

Me and the family went for a walk once on the canal...started at ossy, and walked all the way to blackburn past the warf......

It took us over 4 hours!!!!, luckily my fellas family lived in blackburn so they took us home

Poor kids where knackered!!...LOL

But it was a good day
Old 30-07-2008, 18:05   #3
God Member

you have ALWAYS needed a permit for cycling on the canal lol, they dont cost anything, you just print them off the net, you have to carry them with you whenever you cycle along the canal
Old 30-07-2008, 18:11   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart View Post
you have ALWAYS needed a permit for cycling on the canal lol, they dont cost anything, you just print them off the net, you have to carry them with you whenever you cycle along the canal
Cycling on the water, eh. That's going one better than jesus ... poor sod had to walk.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2008, 18:13   #5
God Member

I remember that back in the day, you could hop onto a barge and take a free ride on the canal ... I used to get on at the Whalley Rd. bridge ... the guy on the barge sometimes got a little p. o'd ... but most of the bargees were decent enough to let us ride along.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2008, 18:34   #6
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Quote:
Well i never knew that

good job ya told me.....thinking of doing that this summer!!...LOL
Old 30-07-2008, 18:48   #7

It is still actually illegal to either walk/run/cycle on the canalside paths/towpaths. British Waterways do turn a blind eye to most things but strictly speaking you do need a permit to access any part of the canalside paths/towpaths.

churchman phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2008, 20:06   #8
Senior Member+

I had a set to tonight with 2 couples who had set up table and chairs, dinner and wine and were having a dinner party in the middle of the canal path - next to their canal boats...I had stop,get off my bike walk round them along the keystone and back onto the canal path much to the annoyance of them, they told me to be more careful and that I shouldnt be going so fast, I said that they shouldnt really set up a cafe on the public canal path as its narrow enough...they then said I shouldnt be on it anyway and that I was breaking the law...I asked them had they seen this before and pulled out my cycle permit for the canal path...they just sat there and said nothing so I explained what it was...told them if they are going to talk law at least have some brain cells to back up what they are on about...got on my bike and off I went...
first time I have had abuse from canal boaters as they are all normally lovely friendly peeps...
glasgow guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2008, 21:17   #9
God Member

like you say GG, they are usually nice and polite...bloody ignorant gits lol, i love going along the canal, its soooooooo peaceful, i hope its nice tomorrow, thats where we will be going again
Old 30-07-2008, 21:19   #10

Quote:
like you say GG, they are usually nice and polite...bloody ignorant gits lol, i love going along the canal, its soooooooo peaceful, i hope its nice tomorrow, thats where we will be going again
So did you give the canal a miss altogether this evening ?
Old 30-07-2008, 21:22   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Reece and i went for a lovely bike ride the other day along the canal, we got on at the Hare and Hounds at Westend and cycled all the way back to the Range at Blackburn, it only took us just over an hour and the sites we saw where gorgeous.

We where going to have another bike ride along the canal this evening, we where going to go from The Range (old B&Q) to the Infirmary, but ive just been told that you cant get all the way to the Infirmary on the canal, apparently it stops just after Eanam Warf because of the boat yard and you cant get back on it till the locks at the Infirmary, i was gutted

I've even got my Bike permits sorted too lol

We always cycled from the back of tesco's to cherrytree and then took to the roads on the way back, the only part near the infermary that we couldnt cycle along was the locks but you just get off cross the bridge onto the otherside of the road then down the side of the pub then back onto the bike, i would love to do it again its been a while, take a ride up there sometime you will love it
jackyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2008, 21:26   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnyboy View Post
So did you give the canal a miss altogether this evening ?

aye i did ste
Old 30-07-2008, 21:27   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackyalex View Post
We always cycled from the back of tesco's to cherrytree and then took to the roads on the way back, the only part near the infermary that we couldnt cycle along was the locks but you just get off cross the bridge onto the otherside of the road then down the side of the pub then back onto the bike, i would love to do it again its been a while, take a ride up there sometime you will love it

so can we ride through eanam then Jack?
Old 30-07-2008, 21:30   #14
Senior Member+

Quote:
so can we ride through eanam then Jack?
Im going back 7yrs ago, but a canal being a canal i would imagine nowts changed since, we used to ride through eanam warf past the pub it was near the infermary that you had to get off yer bike and cross the road
jackyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2008, 21:32   #15
God Member

ahhhh Kev said its now blocked off because of the boat yard, maybe its changed since you last went on it

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..