Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree66Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-02-2014, 00:11   #166

Re: Bill Roach latest 'star'to be arrested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
What makes you think that the jury were 'gullible'? Do you have pertinent information that could have been used in the trial?

Alternatively do you read the daily mail or have the English disease of building people up until they are successful then relishing their downfall?

The very fact that these incidents are alleged to have happened 30-40 years ago and that there is no actual evidence implies that the only thing that the jury can take into account is 'who do they reasonably believe'.

If I accuse you of raping me in 1974...how do you think that you could prove otherwise except by bringing in people who knew you at the time, that could testify in court that they did not believe you capable of such a despicable crime? If the jury found you not guilty, would you still claim that the jury was 'gullible'?

And please do not go down the road of 'why would the CPS bring it to court?'..because I could deluge you with miscarriages of justice and examples of cases that should never have been brought to court.

I have no idea how old you are, but in the 70's, us young blokes treated women appallingly, myself included, because that was the way it was, it was acceptable to society. Looking back at some of the things I did growing up as a typical 'jack the lad', I'm glad I'm not a famous household name, because I'm sure a few ladies would chance their anonymous arm for the chance of a 'few quid' because of a drunken grope and an immature accusation of frigidity when I didn't get my own childish way.

Weird thing is I was walking with a young girl a couple of months ago in Corporation Park in Blackburn, she told me that she was afraid to walk in this park alone in broad daylight...that would never have happened in the perverted 70's
But Guinness, you are a famous household name. Expect a knock on your door from the boys in blue.
Guinness likes this.
Aussie Irene is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-02-2014, 07:20   #167
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Irene View Post
But Guinness, you are a famous household name. Expect a knock on your door from the boys in blue.
What? for being thick, black & Irish! (Now if that doesn't get the PC-enraged-a-lot on-behalf-of-some-perceived-offence, up in arms I don't know what will! )
Guinness likes this.

Last edited by DaveinGermany; 15-02-2014 at 07:22.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2014, 09:32   #168
Beacon of light

I (personally) wouldn't go through the ordeal of a court appearance (and the digging into my background that would go on to determine if I was of good character, reliable and honest) for all the money in the world.

If these women are telling the truth(which the jury doubted) then they have been forced to relive the traumatic expereinces that they have had burried in the back of their minds for four decades.

When bad experiences happen to you, a coping mechanism is to compartmentalise the incident - to lock it away and not visit it again. It is the way the mind deals with such things...so that the incident doesn't drive you mad.
The only people who know the truth are the perpetrators and the alleged victims.

If Bill Roache did do these things then his belief system is that he will pay for it in his next life...this is a bit late for the alleged victims.

I think that some men can sense who they can try it on with.....and maybe they do, and get away with it. Younger girls may not have the confidence to do something about it.

What is absolutely certain is that these trials do sexual abuse vistims no favours at all. They make the victims much less likely to report incidents because they know that unless there is some physical evidence, it is a case of one persons word against that of another.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2014, 09:33   #169
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
My advice to women is if you are in this situation, don't think twice, give the perp a swift kick in the gonads......it is better than having to go through all this, and then being branded as a liar.Just because these men have been cleared does not make them innocent, but that there hasn't been enough reliable evidence put forward by the CPS.
If only it was that easy.
Old 15-02-2014, 09:36   #170
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
Weird thing is I was walking with a young girl a couple of months ago in Corporation Park in Blackburn, she told me that she was afraid to walk in this park alone in broad daylight...that would never have happened in the perverted 70's
Blackburn isn't a very nice place to be most of the time anymore
Old 15-02-2014, 09:43   #171
Beacon of light

Neil, I know it isn't an easy thing to do...but in the situations that these women were in......an office, a studio, a dressing room - somewhwere that there is likely to be someone in the vicinty, it should be a safe technique....but up a back alley in the dark or in a lonely place this is not appropriate advce......unless you have other self defence skills, and are a good long distance runner.

Women need to be far more aware of the dangers they may subject themselves to. They should be able to see dangers of sexual predators, and protect themselves.

A knee to the gonads delivers such pain that it should give the victim a sporting chance of making an exit...and you know the old Confucuis saying? Girl with skirt up runs much faster than man with pants down
Old 15-02-2014, 09:44   #172
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Blackburn isn't a very nice place to be most of the time anymore
I second that Neil. I dislike the place intensely.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..