Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-07-2008, 22:56   #46
God Member

Re: Bin Strike

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
It is a 'pay cut' because it is less than inflation. They are not getting any less money, they're being offered a 2.45% rise. Therefore to honour the 6% they want, more money would need to be found.
And our MP's are great at not expecting a pay rise? Just to keep up with the ever rising cost of living it doesn't seem an unreasonable request!!!
Old 16-07-2008, 23:06   #47
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
It is a 'pay cut' because it is less than inflation. They are not getting any less money, they're being offered a 2.45% rise. Therefore to honour the 6% they want, more money would need to be found.
that just proves to me you are even dafter than i thought, you have obviously never encountered negotiation in yer cocooned life, if a union body enters pay talks with a figure, that is ALWAYS the top dollar, as managements offer is the bottom dollar, the settlement is normally somewhere in between, which would i assume put unison in line or just slightly over inflation, i know how the deal works, having done it over 20 yrs, you will learn one day when you grow up.
Old 16-07-2008, 23:59   #48
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
if a union body enters pay talks with a figure, that is ALWAYS the top dollar, as managements offer is the bottom dollar, the settlement is normally somewhere in between, which would i assume put unison in line or just slightly over inflation, i know how the deal works, having done it over 20 yrs, you will learn one day when you grow up.
But this is not the real world this is the public service workers. In the real world we have to earn a pay rise by becoming more efficient and more profitable. That way the company can afford to pay is employees more money. In which way will the public service workers do this? The only way they can get their above inflation rise is if we the tax payer have more money taken from us.

Do you want your Council tax to increase, I don't. Not unless I will be getting something extra in services.

I really don't see how the Government can give them above inflation rises after stating that rises should be kept low to help reduce inflation.

I think support would very quickly disappear for the striking workers if it become an ongoing thing. Who wants their bins to stand for weeks or what are we going to do with our children when the schools are shut?
Old 17-07-2008, 02:04   #49
Loz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
But this is not the real world this is the public service workers. In the real world we have to earn a pay rise by becoming more efficient and more profitable. That way the company can afford to pay is employees more money. In which way will the public service workers do this? The only way they can get their above inflation rise is if we the tax payer have more money taken from us.

Do you want your Council tax to increase, I don't. Not unless I will be getting something extra in services.

I really don't see how the Government can give them above inflation rises after stating that rises should be kept low to help reduce inflation.

I think support would very quickly disappear for the striking workers if it become an ongoing thing. Who wants their bins to stand for weeks or what are we going to do with our children when the schools are shut?
Exactly.
If this carries on for a while and rubbish is piled up in the streets and other services aren't provided people will soon get fed up and turn against them.
I for one don't want my council tax to increase to pay their wages when i don't feel we get value for money in the first place.
Old 17-07-2008, 02:56   #50
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loz View Post
I for one don't want my council tax to increase to pay their wages when i don't feel we get value for money in the first place.
I think it is wrong of them to award pay increments to them all as if they all did the same job.

You say you dont want your Council tax to increase because you feel your local Council does not give you value for money.

That may be true but do you think teaching assistants do a good job in schools? Should they not be awarded they pay increments seperately relevant to how they perform. Also their pay does not come from the local Council so will not affect your Council Tax. Come to think of it I bet a lot of those on strike are not paid directly from our Council tax.
Old 17-07-2008, 03:17   #51
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
But this is not the real world this is the public service workers. In the real world we have to earn a pay rise by becoming more efficient and more profitable.
anyone who works at a well known local company based in altham and huncoat will be able to tell you that each year the owner gathers everyone around and tells them of the millions of proffit he has made and how well everyone has worked...

then proceed to give the crappest pay rise possible if any at all

i assume plenty more companies do the same because they can and as plenty of companies have probably said to many a person " if your not happy with it then you know where the door is " and theres always a pole around the corner waiting to take your place at less the cost

good for you if the company you work for appreciates its employees but believe me they are far and few between and the majority of employers give as little as possible because no one can make them give you a pay rise no matter how hard you work

if companies paid emplyees correctly and appreciated employees then teh minimum wage woudl never have had to be brought in that actualy forces employers to at least pay a bare minimum to prevent exploitation

dont forget these people who strike dont get paid to sit at home they do actualy loose money ,it knocks me sick how everyone is saying oooh my council tax will go up or whos going to look after my baby while i go to work and making people look bad for wanting a decent days pay that will allow them to keep up with living expenses,if the govenment , council or whoever managed money better there wouldnt need to be increases in council tax

stop pointing fingers at each other and point them in the right direction which is the polotitians and councilors that waste the more than abundant amount of money that they get from us each week via tax , national insurance,council tax and vat

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 17-07-2008 at 03:19.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 09:40   #52
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam1 View Post
Wednesday Will Be Done On Friday And Thursday Will Be Done On Monday.i Have Put A Thread On About The Bin Strike
So if they're collecting Wednesday's on Friday, what happens to the recycling that's usually collected on a Friday? Does anyone know if this strike is going to put all collections back a few days.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..