Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-07-2008, 17:54   #1

Post bin strike

Are we going to get a council tax refund for the two weeks of disruption this will cause? Unlikely. The only service extended by this council in this area is our fortnightly bin collections. The money will still be taken, the time when bulbs are left without replacing in street lamps and potholes remain will be blamed on a two day strike. Council workers striking will hit home, it will be more people in Accrington town centre on a weekday. Otherwise there will just be a greater stench!
pam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-07-2008, 18:19   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: bin strike

Are you Matilda1, Pam1 ?

Refund on council tax ? Why ? ... just 'All hands to the pumps' in my opinion .. squash yer rubbish down a little more. Make sure food is securely wrapped so as not to attract flies. If you can, take to tip.

I don't know the figure of how many employees are involved in this strike, but even if they obtain say 4% (2.45 already agreed) on what will not be a huge wage, can't see it making an immense hole in the budget. Would like to know though. Any council officials/councillors here to prove me incorrect ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 18:19   #3
Senior Member+

we wont geta refund becuase the jobs will still get done, just not on the day they are usually done.....your still getting the services you are paying for.......

you say you only get bin collections.... do the police not cover your area at all?
If your house was on fire would the fire brigade not come?

as faras i am aware, this is what council tax pays for, as well as refuse collection and other things....

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 18:45   #4
God Member

I have driven past the council depot (just off Willows Lane) twice today and noticed quite a large crowd of picketers.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 19:23   #5
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam1 View Post
The only service extended by this council in this area is our fortnightly bin collections.
Is that really all you think the Local Council do?
What about Lancashire County Council, have you any idea what they do?
Old 17-07-2008, 19:35   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Is that really all you think the Local Council do?
What about Lancashire County Council, have you any idea what they do?
NO.

But I'm sure someone out there will tell us.
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2008, 10:19   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
NO.

But I'm sure someone out there will tell us.
Well I think it was mentioned about street lights and potholes, thats the County Council

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..