Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2010, 19:19   #76
Give, give, give member

Re: bins and recycling please read

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
if teh council are saying this they are damn liars weve had much much much much worse than this in teh last 20 years never mind teh last 50 and schools stayed open, buses ran and roads were cleared and most importantly of all bins were emptied

maybe teh problem is they cant drag the wheelie bins with teh tiny wheels they have unlike the old days when bins were lifted and carried to teh binwaggon as it drove along the alley

soft arse rules and regulations are to blame not teh weather
It's only 11 months ago since it last snowed heavily.

Then we had some numpties keeping away from work and schools, saying it was a 'once in a lifetime experience'.

Absolute rubbish.

We live in the northern part of the hemisphere, and have a maritime climate, which means that we may have a few years of wet and mild winters, but it's also likely we will have freezing cold ones, that are accompanied by snow and ice.

Other countries manage perfectly well, just as we coped much better in the past, without resorting to disrupting pupil's education, and leaving the streets full of rubbish, which they are now.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-01-2010, 19:25   #77
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
That doesn't explain my question though. Obviously the county council had grit in stock, it's Winter after all. We've had the worst winter in what, 50 years, and it looks like the grit stocks have been caught out by this, thus the plan is to grit only certain roads. This has prevented the bin men from getting to houses, and plan is in place to deal with that.

My question is, is there a plan in place to get additional grit at short notice in case of unexpected severe conditions like this? As I see it we would be getting bins collected if such a plan was in place as there would be enough grit to go around all streets not just main routes.
Andrew my point is simple but as you have not commented on it, ya must not have managed to grasp it! before this weather even hit us 3/4 weeks between bins being emptied is UNACCEPTABLE.
Old 08-01-2010, 19:33   #78
Give, give, give member

It showed on tonight's B.B.C. news Rossendale Council's office workers, and the Council Leader, out on the streets, helping the refuge collectors clearing the streets of the mounting rubbish.

That seems much more pro-active approach, rather than sitting on your arse in a warm office, giving up, and not even attempting to address the problem.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 19:39   #79
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
It showed on tonight's B.B.C. news Rossendale Council's office workers, and the Council Leader, out on the streets, helping the refuge collectors clearing the streets of the mounting rubbish.

That seems much more pro-active approach, rather than sitting on your arse in a warm office, giving up, and not even attempting to address the problem.
Yep watched it, was also other councils Bolton i think n others are making efforts to catch up this weekend etc, ours do sod all.
Old 08-01-2010, 19:52   #80
God Member

kill 2 birds with one stone , throw the rubbish into teh road and burn it , rubbish gone and ice melted

also the ash and embers will act as grit for any ice left over

people are manageing to getto the tip in cars so why on earh a huge bin waggon with great bug thumping tyres cant get the job done i dont know and im pretty sure snowchains could be bought and fitted to binwaggons infact i woudl be surprised if tehre wasnt a few sets knocking around teh bin yard somewhere.

im looking fo a career change give me the job of sending out binwaggons i will think of allsorts and none of teh ideas will involve cancelling services just done expect friendly memmos between my department and teh rest of teh council its not what i do lol

also be preppared to throw european work law out the window its teh only way anything will ever get done propperly

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 08-01-2010 at 19:58.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 20:23   #81
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
Both the Local Council, and the County have been made aware of what I think about what's been happening, or probably more to the point what's not been happening over the last couple of weeks.
Weel done, another non answer.

It was a simple yes or no question,here it is?

Quote:
Have you or have you not given your opinion or are you relying on other Councillors saying your residents are not happy?
Old 08-01-2010, 21:03   #82
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Weel done, another non answer.

It was a simple yes or no question,here it is?
Of course I have yes.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 21:57   #83
God Member

From Rossendale Online:

A big push is underway in Rossendale to clear the backlog of rubbish that has been building up since normal collections were disrupted by the big freeze.

Office based staff at the Council have been volunteering to go out and pull wheelie bins from people homes to the streets where refuse vehicles have been able to reach.

Full article here:Big push to clear Rossendale's Rubbish. - Rossendale Online

What chance HBC office staff volunteering?

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 21:59   #84
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Paxman
it was a simple yes or no question,here it is?
Don't let these politicians get away with anything.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 22:07   #85
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
Are we allowed to put negative percentages or stick at 0 ?
Old 08-01-2010, 22:22   #86
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post

I am sure there are a few that might want to get out of the office for some fresh air
Old 08-01-2010, 22:52   #87
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

We have the same problem over here in clitheroe its a disgrace if your bins arnt on the side of the main road forget it,as in accrington the side roads are covered in thick snow and ice and no grit to put on them .Although today the ribble councils work men have been clearing the footpaths in the town centre!not before time either
Old 08-01-2010, 23:24   #88
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mab View Post
We have the same problem over here in clitheroe its a disgrace if your bins arnt on the side of the main road forget it,as in accrington the side roads are covered in thick snow and ice and no grit to put on them .Although today the ribble councils work men have been clearing the footpaths in the town centre!not before time either
but is it oer 3 weeks since yer bins were emptied mab?
Old 09-01-2010, 00:57   #89

I have in my time seen council workers clearing snow and tipping it into the river by Bull Bridge, also gritting from a flat wagon throwing the grit by hand. And I seem to remember, from one of the old bin collecting wagons that could not have been ideal but was put into service. Are they doing this now?

I am a carer for my wife and we have care workers come to help out, all of them are great and struggle round in normal cars and walk if needed to ensure that people are not left unfed etc, they have not been sent home!
webglynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:54   #90
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
but is it oer 3 weeks since yer bins were emptied mab?
At least in Clitheroe, the Council has made an effort over the last few days to empty some bins. I notice in Rossendale they also have made an effort to empty some of their bins

This is after being told by the leader of the Council in he's press release that other East Lancs Authorities where suspending bin collections. Clearly not the case.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..