Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2014, 21:42   #31
Senior Member+

Re: Black Friday

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyndburner View Post
After adopting the 'Black Friday' tradition from across the pond, we now need to prepare our country for some more activities that made America great.

Waterboarding, Sleep Deprivation, Solitary Confinement........

God Bless America
And you don't think this happens already?
It has happened in training in the past, no reason to doubt that it still happens.
Accrington Web
Old 09-12-2014, 22:34   #32
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyndburner View Post
After adopting the 'Black Friday' tradition from across the pond, we now need to prepare our country for some more activities that made America great.

Waterboarding, Sleep Deprivation, Solitary Confinement........

God Bless America
Blair was complicit allowing rendition flights to refuel at Prestwick on the way to "black ops sites" in countries that were happy to use these methods of "err" interrogation way back then hyndburner
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 09:14   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
The rotten behaviour of British shoppers isn't the fault of the Americans...
Nah - it's just human nature. Collectively, we're a selfish species. Sure there are kind individuals out there, and I reckon none of those people who were televised would push a granny over to get to a TV if it were just the two of them trying to get to the last TV in the shop. For some reason, humans get stupid(er) when there are a lot of them in the same place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
Got myself a nice Black Friday deal today..saved £200 on the RRP. Thing is...Amazon kindly sent me an email telling me that an item on my watch list was 40% discounted for the next hour..logged on..ordered it..arrives wednesday..job done!...
So your hard earned cash is going out of the country, and isn't having any tax paid on it. Well done.

I try to only buy tangible stuff online when when it's something that just can't be bought here (like a replacement petrol tank for my car. You'd think Ford UK would carry spares for cars that were built this century, but noooo...

I know money is scarce, so people need to make savings wherever possible. However, buying from companies that a) stifle competition and b) don't pay their dues is just compounding the problem. The town centre shops close, you get more people needing handouts so that "discount" results in an increased tax bill.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 09:59   #34
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

It's the tax laws at fault not the companies. No company is going to pay more tax than they need to or their accountants won't have a job for long.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:22   #35

Agreed. Nobody wants to pay more tax than they can get away with, even individuals. Nobody wants to pay more for a product if there's a cheaper alternative. All I'm saying is that there are less-visible consequences of buying online and/or buying from tax evaders.

Old 10-12-2014, 11:18   #36
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

I agree there are and the government should close those loopholes. They won't though because they know many of those companies will just move abroad completely and still ship goods here because the EU common market lets them. They will choose the Country where they will pay the least tax and set up shop there. Europe will never work until taxation/benefits etc is the same in every Country. By benefits I don't just mean handouts but services as well like healthcare, cost and quality of public transport, cost of goods, wages etc
Old 10-12-2014, 13:44   #37
God Member

its a pitty amazon dont sell diesil and petrol although i must admit the prices have dropped a little but it wont be long before someone decides the economy needs a tweak so they will restrict the flow of oil and prices will rise again

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 14:41   #38
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
its a pitty amazon dont sell diesil and petrol although i must admit the prices have dropped a little but it wont be long before someone decides the economy needs a tweak so they will restrict the flow of oil and prices will rise again
I listened to a BBC world service programme a few days ago about oil prices.
It seems that the saudis deliberately reduce the price of their oil in order to make fracking not worth doing. Fracking and other new ways of fossil fuel extraction are far more expensive to operate than conventional oil drilling. If the oil price is low enough, investment in fracking becomes unattractive and is discouraged. However this manipulation of the price by the main producer will likely last a few years only if past experience is anything to go by.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 20:28   #39

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio25 View Post
Nah - it's just human nature. Collectively, we're a selfish species. Sure there are kind individuals out there, and I reckon none of those people who were televised would push a granny over to get to a TV if it were just the two of them trying to get to the last TV in the shop. For some reason, humans get stupid(er) when there are a lot of them in the same place.

So your hard earned cash is going out of the country, and isn't having any tax paid on it. Well done.

I try to only buy tangible stuff online when when it's something that just can't be bought here (like a replacement petrol tank for my car. You'd think Ford UK would carry spares for cars that were built this century, but noooo...

I know money is scarce, so people need to make savings wherever possible. However, buying from companies that a) stifle competition and b) don't pay their dues is just compounding the problem. The town centre shops close, you get more people needing handouts so that "discount" results in an increased tax bill.
Wow....some major Luddite views there. Do you still go out on Harwood Moor, shear your sheep and weave your own woolen clothes on your handmade loom? My guess is your money has gone out of the country on your computer, your clothing, your camera, your car, your phone, your satnav, your dashboard camera..etc..etc..

Oh but wait..you've paid your taxes on these items (are you so sure of this? just because Amazon hit the headlines doesn't mean that the companies you bought your products from are not doing the same), you must feel so superior....well I've paid tax too, to the government and to the council. If a company is exploiting tax loopholes on their PROFITS...it's down to someone much cleverer than me to sort it out, thats what my taxes are supposed to pay for, airtight legislation, as opposed to MP's duck hides, furnishing for rented housing and other assorted goodie bag perks.

And by the way, who pays the wages of the guys in the chain from packing to delivery and which government gets the taxes on their wages? My purchase has also helped to keep people in this country in ACTUAL jobs!

Town centre shops were closing long before the advent of Amazon. The simple home freezer started the demise, people didn't need to shop for fresh foods as often, less browsing and impulse buys, supermarkets offering one stop shopping became the norm, successive councils screwed up etc..etc..

Do not lay the blame of people needing food banks/benefits on me with such ill thought out sanctimonious drivel
Old 13-12-2014, 20:07   #40
I am Banned

The very first line of the first post on this thread endorses what Studio25 is saying Mr G.

Quote:
Nah - it's just human nature. Collectively, we're a selfish species. bill.

Quote:
Got myself a nice Black Friday deal today..saved £200 on the RRP. Thing is...Amazon kindly sent me an email telling me that an item on my watch list was 40% discounted for the next hour..logged on..ordered it..arrives wednesday..job done!
You got the better of "the muppets" as you call them and wanted a pat on the back from the www. No caring, no sharing.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2014, 20:56   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
The very first line of the first post on this thread endorses what Studio25 is saying Mr G.

You got the better of "the muppets" as you call them and wanted a pat on the back from the www. No caring, no sharing.

Nope, wasn't looking for any plaudits.

I was simply pointing out that it was easier, more dignified and cheaper to click my mouse a few times for something that I actually wanted than it was to queue up for hours and get involved in the madness that ensued for something I didn't need just because it was cheap.

But in one respect you are right...I don't really care about the idiots who pushed, bullied and ripped products from each other, and since these 'muppets' don't really have any brain cells, it's unlikely that they would be mentally capable of reading this forum so I guess I'm not sharing the fact that it's easier and cheaper to click a mouse
Old 14-12-2014, 02:20   #42
God Member

Quote:
Nope, wasn't looking for any plaudits.

I was simply pointing out that it was easier, more dignified and cheaper to click my mouse a few times for something that I actually wanted than it was to queue up for hours and get involved in the madness that ensued for something I didn't need just because it was cheap.
i think thats a similar reason as to why my pal got an internet bride rather than going into town on a saturday night looking for one

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 08:18   #43

Quote:
...Do not lay the blame of people needing food banks/benefits on me with such ill thought out sanctimonious drivel
I don't mention food banks or benefits at all. I respectfully suggest that your own prejudices have sneaked into your head while reading my post.

Old 19-12-2014, 21:01   #44

Quote:
I don't mention food banks or benefits at all. I respectfully suggest that your own prejudices have sneaked into your head while reading my post.
And there's that sanctimony again...I 'respectfully' suggest you look up the word 'intimation'

Quote:
you get more people needing handouts
Unless of course you are talking about the 'handouts' posted through your letterbox by the <insert any political group here> party, attempting to exonerate themselves from the current economical concerns

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..