Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-11-2014, 21:00   #1

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!
Black Friday

Got myself a nice Black Friday deal today..saved £200 on the RRP. Thing is...Amazon kindly sent me an email telling me that an item on my watch list was 40% discounted for the next hour..logged on..ordered it..arrives wednesday..job done!

Can't for the life of me understand the muppets who queue up for hours waiting for midnight when the local superstore opens, so that they can squeeze and fight through sweaty bodies to buy something that probably has less discount than they could get online???

I realise that Black Friday has been hyped by our media scrabbling for new human interest stories, regaling us with previous deathrace battles in Walmart stores throughout the Bible belt of the USA, hoping that here on Airstrip One the rabble will blindly follow, thus creating the next days headlines..obviously some of us so sheeplike that we fall for this hype judging from the coverage on the news today.

Do people do this so that they can tell their grandchildren 'I was there at the battle of Tesco in 2014'...do they imagine that in 2114 will there be a memorial service for those who failed to get their discounted Blurays, home cinema systems or mock Hope diamonds?

The frightening thing is that these susceptible muppets are the ones who sit on juries and vote in elections.
maxthecollie likes this.
Old 28-11-2014, 21:13   #2
God Member

Re: Black Friday

A bargain is only a bargain if you need it.
Slick advertising convinces you that you need it.
Black Friday = consumerfest

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2014, 21:33   #3
Beacon of light

I agree with you Margaret. If you do not need something then no matter how cheap it is, it isn't a bargain.
It is all a ploy to get you to dip your hands into your pockets and spend your cash.
Guinness, if you got something that you had been watching, then yes.....you have saved yourself some money.
I would not queue for hours to buy a TV.....and then nearly get killed in the crush.
That is a mugs game.
Guinness, Eric, MargaretR and 1 others like this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2014, 22:07   #4

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Yeah...the point of Black Friday is to get you to buy.....

I was already looking to buy and shopping around for the best deal and was in the right place/right time....go lucky me

What both of you have posted points out is that really it's a con by the sellers, which I agree with...

But what about those so..so.. many people who fall for the con that end up coming to blows, who are these people? why do they fall for the hype?....and these people who are so easily swayed by the media are sometimes put into a position of power which affects us all..

Tomorrows Telegraph has the headline 'Black and Blue Friday'....even the highbrow media has to sell it wares. Is it any wonder that our country is screwed?
Old 28-11-2014, 23:00   #5
I am Banned

Over here for Thanksgiving with my son and family, BF has been diluted by many stores having preBF sales.
Just an extra shopping day with the last Saturday before Christmas expected to be busier.
Best headline for me,
"Lame Duck President pardons Turkey" and they think we have some strange customs eh?
Eric likes this.

Last edited by DtheP47; 28-11-2014 at 23:02.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2014, 09:58   #6

Black Friday is YET another dreadful American import which has no relevance to us, because it is based on Thanksgiving Day, and we still have four weeks to Christmas.

What will be the next American import? Shooting dead unarmed teenagers who have their hands in the air, then saying our conscience is clear, perhaps?

Or killing 12 year olds playing with replica guns, maybe.

The mind boggles.
hyndburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2014, 10:05   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
"Lame Duck President pardons Turkey" and they think we have some strange customs eh?

what crime had the turkey commited

if it was gang related crime it will probbably fall back into gang activity so pointles pardoning it or do they have rehabilitation programs in place to ensure turkeys dont re offend ?

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2014, 12:44   #8
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post

if it was gang related crime it will probbably fall back into gang activity so pointles pardoning it or do they have rehabilitation programs in place to ensure turkeys dont re offend ?
Another satirical headline. "Obama pardons Californian Turkey" Turkey says "I don't need a pardon I need a job"
Old 29-11-2014, 13:10   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:
Another satirical headline. "Obama pardons Californian Turkey" Turkey says "I don't need a pardon I need a job"
I just had to look it up-what strange people these Americans are.

Quote:
Just being a turkey? One of the ugliest birds in the world(also American, ugly and strange) and they don't even taste that good.

Last edited by Gordon Booth; 29-11-2014 at 13:14.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2014, 13:13   #10
Senior Member+

Shows the true nature of people - squabbling over a cheap TV set...punching out pensioners to get their hands on a new computer or phone
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2014, 13:42   #11
Full Member+

Looked like legalised looting to me. I wonder how many of those that were televised are ashamed of themselves today? I think I'd be sat with my head in a paper bag if I'd been caught on camera fighting like a navvy for some outdated cr@p that the stores were offloading on unsuspecting mugs.
Old 29-11-2014, 14:31   #12
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Lewd behaviour in a public place.
Old 29-11-2014, 15:32   #13
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
Shows the true nature of people - squabbling over a cheap TV set...punching out pensioners to get their hands on a new computer or phone
Christmas to me about family and spontaneous acts of kindness to all not about a effin big flat screen telly.
maxthecollie likes this.
Old 29-11-2014, 16:46   #14
Beacon of light

Quote:
Christmas to me about family and spontaneous acts of kindness to all not about a effin big flat screen telly.
Yes, and that is exactly the way it should be.......though many folk have lost that concept......sad though this is.
maxthecollie likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2014, 17:35   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyndburner View Post
Black Friday is YET another dreadful American import which has no relevance to us, because it is based on Thanksgiving Day, and we still have four weeks to Christmas.

What will be the next American import? Shooting dead unarmed teenagers who have their hands in the air, then saying our conscience is clear, perhaps?

Or killing 12 year olds playing with replica guns, maybe.

The mind boggles.
The rotten behaviour of British shoppers isn't the fault of the Americans; and it has nothing to do with the overreaction of American coppers. If Brits choose to behave like ignorant greedy assholes, it's their choice. Nobody is forcing you guys to ape American customs.

And remember, they don't have drunken, violent hooligans at their football games. If you are blaming others for faults stamped "Made in the UK", maybe you should go shopping for some discount logic.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..