Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-11-2016, 18:27   #16
God Member

Re: Black Friday?

Good luck, Gremlin. But you know what they say in certain parts of NYC?
Discount is like an overcoat, you have it to put it on before you can take it off.
cashman likes this.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-11-2016, 18:55   #17
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
Good luck, Gremlin. But you know what they say in certain parts of NYC?
Discount is like an overcoat, you have it to put it on before you can take it off.
Of coure but it's nice when they do take it off.
I know from the family business how much goes on and if people don't ask you make a few quid more.
Old 26-11-2016, 08:34   #18
Beacon of light

So Russell, you got the discount on something you wanted...you did not go out with no idea of what you wanted, with money you didn't have, to buy something you neither needed nor wanted.
Black Fridays is one of the worst of American traditions we seem to adopt.
It was conceived to extract money from those unwary souls who think that retailers have their interests at heart. Really, they don't have hearts, they have cash registers...or to bring things up to date, card readers.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 09:24   #19

For those of us reaching that certain age you get to a point where you need to buy less for the home so Black Friday is a bit useless for us unless you like filling your wardrobe perhaps?

All these USA inflicted days smear our history at least for me, I would rather have more even pricing throughout the year than said special days.

The next PIE DAY is 23rd January by the way :-)
Old 05-12-2016, 17:01   #20
Senior Member+

Didn't see any good deals (in store) offered my friend thought she had got a good deal turned out to be £150 more than Argos.

I'm suspicious of it myself. Seems like a method of getting rid of stock.

However there was some good PC game digital download deals I saw but I owned one since release and the other is crap.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 05-12-2016, 20:00   #21
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
So Russell, you got the discount on something you wanted...you did not go out with no idea of what you wanted, with money you didn't have, to buy something you neither needed nor wanted.
Black Fridays is one of the worst of American traditions we seem to adopt.
It was conceived to extract money from those unwary souls who think that retailers have their interests at heart. Really, they don't have hearts, they have cash registers...or to bring things up to date, card readers.
Yes Margaret, exactly right.
I never go in a shop wondering what to buy or to look for a bargain. I only shop for what I NEED!! It just happened to be Black Friday the day after we got the keys to the new house and a rug was needed for the lounge floor which is hard wood like the dining room.
US Angel likes this.
Old 08-12-2016, 13:09   #22
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breure View Post
I have bought a lot of interesting equipment
It may be interesting to you, means nowt to anyone else due to the fact yeh aint said what.
Less and US Angel like this.
Old 09-12-2016, 10:55   #23

I have not bought any interesting equipment.
All I bought was a bucket of zilch, some nada nuthing zero and a few sod alls.
RainbowSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 11:21   #24
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowSix View Post
I have not bought any interesting equipment.
All I bought was a bucket of zilch, some nada nuthing zero and a few sod alls.
I would never buy my sod alls on black Friday, I will wait until the new year and the January sales after all I'm British if I wish to be ripped off for sundry useless items I will go down the traditional route.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 01:51   #25
God Member

i refuse to participate until white fridays are given equal media attention

#whitefridaysmatter

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 13:03   #26
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Dear, oh dear, oh dear, yep it's going to be an expensive Boxing day for some, all the furniture shops and fitted kitchen places are on the box advertising their 9.00 start for the sales.

I'm so glad that I will be spending Boxing day the way it should be, having a nice long lie in, recovering from all the overindulging of Christmas Day.
dotti34 and hilleluk like this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 13:32   #27
Full Member+

It seems to me some folk shop EVERY day. For what I cannot imagine. Nowadays the shops are only closed for Christmas Day. Years ago depending on when Christmas fell they may be closed for 4 days i.e. if Christmas Day was Saturday, Boxing Day Sunday they would not open again till Wednesday. Those days no one had a fridge but they managed.
I put it down to bad home management. Some items are bought because they are advertised as a bargain whether they are needed or not. Stupid.
cashman likes this.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 18:30   #28
Beacon of light

Rowlf the stupidity is because folks can see better than they can think.

Do you think the newly weds of today will make a meal from leftovers? They will chuck it in the bin and order a takeaway(or even another takeaway).
I learned home management the practical way....this was, we had no money and so we had to make do with what was in the cupboard(often a tin without a label from Sauls bargain basket...you didn't know whether you were getting custard or tinned peas).
cashman, dotti34 and taddy like this.
Old 26-12-2016, 08:30   #29

Me, too, Margaret. Also learnt that if you can't have it then don't pine for it - that's a waste of time, and if you can't afford it then too bad. Enjoy what you can afford.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 09:35   #30
Beacon of light

That is my mantra too Dotti.
It has served me well throughout my life.
I do not look at what others may have and feel envious.(well, maybe sometimes....just a little), that is the path to dissatisfaction and sometimes debt.
In the main, I have been happy to settle for what I can afford. The only real debt I was forced into was a mortgage, but that was paid up more than three decades ago.
If you can't pay, you can't go. Simple.
cashman likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..