Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree79Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-09-2016, 18:11   #31
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Blackburn road - in front of town hall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I usually download, resize and edit the post with the smaller picture if I see them too big.
I think the problem is if it comes from a mobile, mine is set for max memory I might want the pic again for some reason, upload to the site it automatically looks OK. Look at it on pc and yes, there is a problem, it's not remembering to downsize that cocks things up.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-09-2016, 11:45   #32
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
I think the problem is if it comes from a mobile, mine is set for max memory I might want the pic again for some reason, upload to the site it automatically looks OK. Look at it on pc and yes, there is a problem, it's not remembering to downsize that cocks things up.
I think it's a bug/setting with the forum, it should resize images to a max preset value. It used to do with some images in the past
Old 15-09-2016, 12:42   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowSix View Post
Looking at the signs, buses are allowed to travel from the old market end - but not in the other direction.

A little crazy

Not seen any tanks yet.
And today the signs on the market end have changed again to a simple no entry, no buses, no taxies and no (Wizzzz..... as one just went past) motorbikes.

I may be in luck and see a tank though as it's their 10th birthday
RainbowSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 12:16   #34

Apparently, according to a discussion with taxi driver - it does not apply to them
Neither does it apply to police officers either, I have seen them drive along there twice.

Why do the planners bother with highway regulations when the drivers of Accy are going to ignore them?
RainbowSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 14:50   #35
Senior Member+

Maybe it doesn't apply to taxi drivers but I'm sure it does.
Are there any 'Taxis' in Hyndburn. I thought they were private hire Kami Kamikaze pilots.
Gadzooks man, If I was in control I would stop every private hire vehicle using taxi lanes. Then crush the car, driver allowed to sit in.
Old 05-01-2017, 16:39   #36
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowSix View Post
Apparently, according to a discussion with taxi driver - it does not apply to them
Pick any part of the Highway Code and they'll say it doesn't apply to them.
cashman likes this.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 17:41   #37
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
Pick any part of the Highway Code and they'll say it doesn't apply to them.
its simple the police are too scared to say owt.FACT
Gremlin likes this.
Old 05-01-2017, 18:43   #38
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Hmmmm

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 18:45   #39
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Truer than you may think Cashy. I've heard that from a civilian inside source.
Blackburn road is especially a 'Look away area'.
Old 05-01-2017, 18:48   #40
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
Truer than you may think Cashy. I've heard that from a civilian inside source.
Blackburn road is especially a 'Look away area'.
Does that make it true G?,are you suggesting Lancashire police turn a blind eye and cherry pick who they apply the law to?

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 18:51   #41
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
Does that make it true G?,are you suggesting the Lancashire police turn a blind eye and cherry pick who they apply the law to?
I'm quoting an inside source, I'm not suggesting anything.
I know what I think though by being second inline behind a police car while the bus was stuck trying to get past parked cars near Little street.
Old 05-01-2017, 18:55   #42
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
Does that make it true G?,are you suggesting Lancashire police turn a blind eye and cherry pick who they apply the law to?
I have said before my mate who has a policeman for a mate was told by him what happened when he booked a number of cars illegally parked on Blackburn Rd, So hmm all yeh want fool.
Barrie Yates and Gremlin like this.
Old 02-02-2017, 22:30   #43

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Erm…

Controversial plans to redevelop Accrington town square given go-ahead (From Lancashire Telegraph)

Notwithstanding the fact that I’ve seen comments on facebook, twitter, this and previous newspaper reports none of which have been positive…

Where the heck do our elected representatives come up with the term ‘brilliant’ in reference to this plan?

Then we have ‘oldsleepyhead’ Dawsons comments..

‘I welcome the idea that we could have this square’……eh?

I’ve been struggling all night to try to figure that particular whimsy out…isn’t he the head of the planning committee who has just passed the ‘idea that could’ into the ‘expensive white elephant that is’

Or..
‘I know the trees are an issue for some people but I believe they have been there for more than 50 years’….eh?

I’ve also been struggling with this mumbo jumbo politspeak…he believes the trees have been there for 50 years and its an issue for some people….but he’s pretty much ignored this because as head of the planning committee he’s done it anyway… or… is he saying that anything over 50 needs culling?

And..
‘I think the plans will be a big improvement for Blackburn Road and it will really improve that area’..eh?

Why will it improve the area?…you are chopping down some big trees and replacing them with some small trees, you’re putting back the benches you misguidedly removed a few years ago, you’re replacing the current level flooring with more modern flooring (erm..didn’t you do this on broadway with the resulting lakes and trip hazards)

But hey.. use an emotive term like ‘Accy Pals’ stick a mythological animal statue in there

Yeah…absolutely BRILLIANT idea
KiTChener and odders like this.
Old 03-02-2017, 05:43   #44
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

If you read the project details the section on trees has detailed reports explaining what the problems are with them and recommends they come down
Old 03-02-2017, 05:57   #45
Beacon of light

Leaving aside the thorny issue of the trees(I haven't seen the report, but would not trust it if I had). I reckon those who were asked to provide the report were in cahoots with those who want this daft project to go ahead and providing a report that confirms that the trees need to be chopped would give validity to them being chopped down...at a cost of course

This development seems to be wanted by no one. Will cost 3 million quid...half of which is coming from the public purse(at a time when services are being pruned to death).
The square is going to do nothing for the town. The council are not planning any events once it is a reality. They want any organised events to be community driven.
So we are paying a lot of money for a dead space. What is, in effect a 'vanity project'
Accrington has very little to be vain about.

Have any community organisations asked for space for events? Will this proposed development bring people into the town? Will it improve the environment in the town?

My considered opinion is. It won't.
It is not what is needed. It is not what is wanted and it is too damned expensive.
KiTChener, odders and Barrie Yates like this.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 03-02-2017 at 06:03.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..