Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By Atarah
  • 5 Post By lindsay ormerod

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-05-2012, 17:12   #1
Senior Member+

Blackburn road nr. Church

Just been in the area around Lonsdale St/Pearl St and Newark Street, looks like a "different world" now.
Thought any Accywebbers who have left the area may care to see photos of the area now. Newark Street has kept its name, but Pearl Street now known as Pearl Court. It just doesnt look like Accy anymore!

Will try and put a few reminders in, of how the area once looked.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1 - Blackburn road corner o Pearl St 2008.jpg (366.1 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg 2 - Blackburn road showing site of Pearl Street then Newark Street 2008.JPG (445.3 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg 3 - 2008 old doctors surgery on blackburn road and corner of Newark Street .JPG (186.4 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg 4 - Pearl Court (was Pearl Street) May 2012.jpg (325.0 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg 5 - Looking DOWN Pearl Court, China Street being at the bottom of it. May 2012.JPG (266.0 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg 6 -Looking DOWN Pearl Street that was - slightly lower down street than on photo 5 - May 2012.jpg (322.4 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 7 - Dawson Close - May 2012.jpg (323.5 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg 7a - Looking down Dawson Close showing Antley Church at the bottom - May 2012.jpg (253.8 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg 8 - Newark Street May 2012 view.jpg (294.6 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg A few properties have been built on the original street, still known as Lower Antley Street - Ma.jpg (266.0 KB, 51 views)
wadey and maxthecollie like this.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-10-2015, 05:01   #2
Junior Member+

Re: Blackburn road nr. Church

Wow what a shock! I was born in Newark Street in 1947 and although I went down there about 2 years ago your photos have really brought it home to me how it's all changed. I am writing an article for my blog and would love to use some of your photos. And if you have any of how Newark Street used to look that would be great too.
Old 07-10-2015, 08:16   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

It looks pretty different from when we moved only 22 months back, never go into town that way,
Old 07-10-2015, 08:53   #4
Senior Member+

Atarah - roving reporter
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 15:25   #5
God Member

No. 1 looks a lot like the better parts of Detroit.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 16:34   #6
Senior Member+

I lived in Lonsdale St for a few years - below the bridge. Always thought they were substantial houses, bathroom, internal toilet, stone built. Always wondered if it was cheaper to have demolished them and build new rather than refurbish as they are doing in Woodnook?
Old 09-10-2015, 19:59   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
I lived in Lonsdale St for a few years - below the bridge. Always thought they were substantial houses, bathroom, internal toilet, stone built. Always wondered if it was cheaper to have demolished them and build new rather than refurbish as they are doing in Woodnook?
I thought the same Barrie, I had a house on Holland St, lovely good sized solid house, if I could have moved it I would've. Raised to the ground and I'm sure it could have been saved to be honest.Even if knocking two together was an option it was better than demolition , those new houses are horrid.
Old 09-10-2015, 21:16   #8
Beacon of light

Lindsay I thought it was only me who thought that these houses were a hideous eyesore.
Glad to find out I am not alone in my opinion.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 06:56   #9
JCB

The photographs bring to mind "Little Boxes" by Malvina Reynolds ........

JCB is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..