Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-07-2008, 22:39   #16
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Blackburn tonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Is anyone else watching the programme on Channel 5 that is giving this area a bad name?
you seriously think it has a good name?
Old 29-07-2008, 07:09   #17
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnyboy View Post
Just watched it. Standard weekend stuff really ( I can’t be alone in thinking that ) seen in just about every town the length and breadth of the country. Guess that’s part of the problem that it’s seen as standard behaviour.
...but only in Britain. It's not standard behaviour in the city centres of Madrid, Paris, Rome or even New York. So what's gone wrong with this country?
Old 29-07-2008, 07:55   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
For those who have missed it (and Royboy ) you can see it here-
Demand Five | watch television on demand - Channel 5 TV

They announced that at the end - might be available tomorrow
I assume the program is that one called CCTV Cities? Il have a look tonight though I doubt I'll be surprised.

Cos it rocks!!!

"I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates (396-314 B.C.)
MikeSz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2008, 09:02   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
...but only in Britain. It's not standard behaviour in the city centres of Madrid, Paris, Rome or even New York. So what's gone wrong with this country?
That’s the big question and how do we turn the situation around ?

I don’t see any “quick fixes” either. It’s been pretty much as the programme depicted for years, it’s become habitual and part of a way of life for many.
Old 29-07-2008, 09:11   #20
God Member

Only when the last pub shuts will the problem end
The alkies will then be giving their neighbours aggro instead
At least it disperses the problem so we all get a bit

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2008, 09:15   #21
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Tough on crime tough on the causes of crime
Old 29-07-2008, 09:25   #22
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
The alkies will then be giving their neighbours aggro instead
At least it disperses the problem so we all get a bit
nowt to do with pubs,they are just n outlet fer yobs who have no values or morals thanks to the ******* who dictate how we should treat em when captured.
Old 29-07-2008, 09:44   #23
Super Moderator

Quote:
So what about the rest of us who like to enjoy a few beers in a pub, while causing no harm to anybody? Are we meant to suffer because the government is too gutless to tackle the problem? And if pubs are the problem, then how come plenty of other countries have an abundance of licenced outlets without the disorder that is now standard in this country?

Whether I'm in Barcelona or Chicago, I always get the distinct impression that the police and the authorities would not tolerate the type of behaviour we have here for five minutes, human rights or no human rights!
Old 29-07-2008, 09:45   #24

Why did they move the Police station, To the Boulavade,
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2008, 09:49   #25
God Member

I used to enjoy the pub social scene too.

There have always been some people who overdrink, get aggressive on it, and spoil it for the rest. They now are more concentrated into the fewer pubs that are left, so that trouble is no longer occasional but inevitable.

Apart from the shoplifting druggies on that programme, all the people causing hassle were drunk.

The people who can't behave under the influence of alcohol should be given an injection which will cause any alcohol intake to make them violently sick.

I know that some will consider this as a breach of their civil liberties, but it will be cheaper than free board in an HMP holiday camp, where they will have NO liberty

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2008, 10:18   #26
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

heres one that dont think its a breach margaret, more like a bloody good idea.
Old 29-07-2008, 10:23   #27

Seems like a fine idea to me Margaret
Old 29-07-2008, 10:23   #28
Super Moderator

The whole issue of drink-fuelled disorder is just part of the wider problem about how we pussyfoot around thugs, criminals and various other undesirables in this country.

However, I would agree that the big breweries have a lot to answer for. This whole problem started way back in the late 60's when the breweries realised that youngsters had a lot of disposable income which they were spending on clothes, records and in unlicensed outlets like coffee bars. They decided to cynically go for that market with the end result that we now have town centre bars which are basically teenage gin palaces. And they have fuelled the problem with their cheap drink offers aimed at inticing youngsters to drink far more than they can handle.

The government should initiate a twin approach - crack down on the drinks industry and crack down on the thugs. They won't though, because it's a valuable source of tax revenue and, as Jambutty said in another thread, the licensed trade has a strong lobby in parliament...and because the end effects of the problem don't actually affect them, away in their tax-payer funded ivory towers.
Old 29-07-2008, 10:32   #29
Senior Member+

But it isn't just in Britain is it? There was a programme on R4 the other day that was reporting an increase in this kind of behaviour in other European capitals. I can't remember the full list, but France and Germany were two countries that were expressing concerns.
Old 29-07-2008, 11:03   #30
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
But it isn't just in Britain is it? There was a programme on R4 the other day that was reporting an increase in this kind of behaviour in other European capitals. I can't remember the full list, but France and Germany were two countries that were expressing concerns.
Ya TM but these countries know how to deal with it, and they don't have an army of bleeding heart brigade dogooders to placate, before they get started. How many times do we see news footage from places like France and Germany where they use the water cannon on these louts and scumbags, they don't hang around long if they're drenched from head to foot and it also tends to help in the sobering up process too

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..