Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-07-2008, 11:06   #31
God Member

Re: Blackburn tonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
Why did they move the Police station, To the Boulavade,
It isn't on the boulevard it is at Whitebirk.
Old 29-07-2008, 11:33   #32
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
But it isn't just in Britain is it? There was a programme on R4 the other day that was reporting an increase in this kind of behaviour in other European capitals. I can't remember the full list, but France and Germany were two countries that were expressing concerns.
I've been in three foreign cities in the last couple of years and I haven't seen a sign of it. If you were in Madrid or Paris or Rome this coming weekend, I bet you would see nothing like the mayhem that is just standard procedure for most UK towns and cities. The only places on the continent you will see it are the Spanish resorts where tourists from this country go!
Old 29-07-2008, 12:22   #33

i missed the programme last night but. my mum taped it fo me so ill be watching it tonight.
Old 29-07-2008, 13:42   #34
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
It isn't on the boulevard it is at Whitebirk.
No Bernadette, the Police Station in Blackburn is in the Train Station, just off the boulevard. Greenbank control centre is at Whitebirk - that's the local headquarters, where the admin staff are and where the CCTV are based.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2008, 13:46   #35
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
No Bernadette, the Police Station in Blackburn is in the Train Station, just off the boulevard. Greenbank control centre is at Whitebirk - that's the local headquarters, where the admin staff are and where the CCTV are based.
Well I never knew that, you learn something new everyday
Old 29-07-2008, 16:51   #36
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSz View Post
I assume the program is that one called CCTV Cities? Il have a look tonight though I doubt I'll be surprised.
not available to folks outside of the UK
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2008, 17:48   #37
Senior Member+

Repeated on August 3rd, on fiver, SKY Channel 182 at 9pm.
Old 29-07-2008, 18:18   #38
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
not available to folks outside of the UK
If we want to see violence, mayhem, bloody encounters, knock down, drag out blood letting, we have to watch hockey
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2008, 18:29   #39
God Member

If any expats want to see it just to have a glimpse of their hometown - bear in mind that widescale demolition of Blackburn centre has been happening since the film was made

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2008, 18:35   #40
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Most cities are dumps for the dross of society.
Who in their right minds would live in any city centre.
Nowt wrong in being a 'hick from the sticks'
I'm in my right mind ... well almost .... and I live in downtown Kingston. No problem. And we have seven major prisons in the area Also we have a large military base, and a large university to fuel the party crowd. On weekends, if anyone gets out of hand, the KPD, tosses the culprits into a cruiser, and off to the drunk tank. There is always a strong police presence when the drunks are out in force ... and the coppers don't stay in their cruisers, they are out on the streets keeping an eye on things. I don't think the police here have things under control because they are armed and brutal, they just do their jobs, and they have the support of most of the community. If anyone gets out of hand, he is face down on the sidewalk, the cuffs are on, and it's off for a night in the slammer; and if there are charges other than drunkeness, they stay there until the bail hearing. Sure we have our civil rights laid out in our Charter of Rights and Freedoms .... but being a drunken asshole is not considered a "right".
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2008, 21:46   #41
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
It is awful. I used to go out drinking in Blackburn but never remember anything like this.

Then again, I was always the drunk that was curled up in a corner asleep.
I used to be a regular round blackburn at the weekend, i cant remember it being like that either, but like you the end of the night was a bit of a blur

My question is, when did they start letting people dress like that in the pubs round town, a grown man in a white shell suit !!! what a plonker haha
jackyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2008, 22:37   #42
God Member

It seems that in Torquay they intend to make drunks mop up their P
Police plan to force drunks to clean up mess on streets with mops | Mail Online
I say LICK it up would be better

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2008, 22:49   #43
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

well gotta say i like the "Downtown Kingston" way.
Old 29-07-2008, 23:36   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
...but only in Britain. It's not standard behaviour in the city centres of Madrid, Paris, Rome or even New York. So what's gone wrong with this country?
What went 'wrong' was we lost our social control mechanism eg religion. the first 3 Cities you mention still the Catholic church leading their behaviour and this covers alcohol consumption, not just directly but also in the form of family values.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2008, 00:53   #45
God Member

just watched it and yup thats a typical weekend night in blackburn but its not usualy as busy

i like how they bigged blackburn up at the very begining by saying " theres no where to hide in this city "

blackburn isnt a city its a town but i guess that dosnt sound as good lol

well i think its a town but it certainly isnt a city thats for sure and no matter how hard they try to merge accrington with blackburn to make it a city we dont want to be part of that crap hole thankyou very much

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 30-07-2008 at 00:57.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..