Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-08-2011, 20:59   #46
Beacon of light

Re: Blackpool Illuminations Switch On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
This thread is pathetic, even by the standards of some of the other rubbish which is regularly posted on here. What does it matter which celeb non-entity pulls the switch - the Blackpool Lights are on display for over two months, so the opening night visitors will make up a small proportion of those visiting that seedy town. Anyway - what's it got to do with Accy, other than we have a similar annual thread on which idiot switches on the Christmas Lights?
You are such a carmudgeon.
If you don't like the thread start a better one.....one that you think might
interest people.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-08-2011, 21:01   #47
Beacon of light

Would you like some cheese to go with that w(h)ine Tealeaf?
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 21:01   #48
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Blackpool only exists because of mill towns like Accy.

No Trade Union movement, no annual paid holidays, no Blackpool.
What a shame you don't know your history. Blackpool exists primarily because of the railways; it was already a seaside destination by the time of the formalisation of the Wakes Weeks in the 1900's but these were unpaid until the 1936 Holiday Bill for paid holidays was enshrined in law.

However, you're right insofar as the town's clientele were primarily from the Lancashire mill towns (Morecambe's visitors were West Yorkshire - hence the similarity in alot of architectural style between terraced streets in Morecambe & places like Bradford and the direct rail link which still exists)

I wonder, however, what some of those old Victorian Trade Union leaders - with their ideas of self improvement and moral standards would now make of this drug-ridden, child-grooming, tatty collection of streets that not only calls itself a town but the UK's seaside capital?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 21:06   #49
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Would you like some cheese to go with that w(h)ine Tealeaf?
Please, may I urge you to show a little compassion.

He's still not feeling himself, ever since he lost his little summer job on the coast, when he fell victim to new technology.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 21:15   #50
God Member

I seem to remember it was the famous Laughing Policeman which was outside the Funhouse in Blackpool - just a shame you couldn't answer a) with an argument, or failing that, b) with a You Tube link to the said constable.
Old 22-08-2011, 21:20   #51
Give, give, give member

Thread wander sorry, but some interesting old film clips, associated with this area's cotton industries on here...

BBC - Nation on Film - Textiles - Conditions in the mill

Old 22-08-2011, 21:22   #52
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I seem to remember it was the famous Laughing Policeman which was outside the Funhouse in Blackpool - just a shame you couldn't answer a) with an argument, or failing that, b) with a You Tube link to the said constable.
I decided against the Laughing Policeman.

Knowing how interested you are in old salty sea-dogs, I thought you'd prefer a nice sailor.

Old 22-08-2011, 21:24   #53
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I decided against the Laughing Policeman.

Knowing how interested you are in old salty sea-dogs, I thought you'd prefer a nice sailor.

Speak for yourself, chummy.
Old 22-08-2011, 21:28   #54
Give, give, give member

Quote:
There's no argument to be enjoyed.

Your statement that this thread has no local relevance, has been rendered irrelevant, by providing evidence of one of your threads which has absolutely nothing to do with this area.

Old 22-08-2011, 21:29   #55
I am Banned

Quote:
What a shame you don't know your history. Blackpool exists primarily because of the railways; it was already a seaside destination by the time of the formalisation of the Wakes Weeks in the 1900's but these were unpaid until the 1936 Holiday Bill for paid holidays was enshrined in law.

However, you're right insofar as the town's clientele were primarily from the Lancashire mill towns (Morecambe's visitors were West Yorkshire - hence the similarity in alot of architectural style between terraced streets in Morecambe & places like Bradford and the direct rail link which still exists)

I wonder, however, what some of those old Victorian Trade Union leaders - with their ideas of self improvement and moral standards would now make of this drug-ridden, child-grooming, tatty collection of streets that not only calls itself a town but the UK's seaside capital?
Its also surprising how many people from Greater Accrington, moved to live in Blackpool & St Annes during WW1. Quite a number of men service papers which show their next of kin address in Acc, are crossed out, and a new address in Blackpool written in. Many ex soldiers from Greater Acc, emigrated to Canada in the 1920's, many of them had returned by 1930's, jobs were just as hard to get in Canada as they were here.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 21:33   #56
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Speak for yourself, chummy.
I usually do.

Unless someone can afford my fees, and hires me to speak for them.

Personally I can't remember the last time I started a thread about sailors on here.

As they aren't really of much concern around here. Nor do I care where they shoot their cannon balls, or in whom.

That we leave to you.

Old 22-08-2011, 21:47   #57
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Its also surprising how many people from Greater Accrington, moved to live in Blackpool & St Annes during WW1. Quite a number of men service papers which show their next of kin address in Acc, are crossed out, and a new address in Blackpool written in. Many ex soldiers from Greater Acc, emigrated to Canada in the 1920's, many of them had returned by 1930's, jobs were just as hard to get in Canada as they were here.
Retlaw.
What do you think are the reason's for that, Walter? It's not something I've heard of before. Are these wounded ex-seviceman - discharged - who have moved to the coast on medical advice? Or because alot of housing in Blackpool was built immeadiatly prior to WW1 (from Nori!) and there was suddenly a surplus of cheap housing? Or fewer jobs in the mills, because of conversion to a war economy?

I can guess the reasons for people returning from Canada, but the flit to Blackpool does have me puzzled.
Old 22-08-2011, 21:48   #58
Give, give, give member

1937 bus timetable.

Old 22-08-2011, 21:55   #59
Senior Member+

Quote:
What do you think are the reason's for that, Walter? It's not something I've heard of before. Are these wounded ex-seviceman - discharged - who have moved to the coast on medical advice? Or because alot of housing in Blackpool was built immeadiatly prior to WW1 (from Nori!) and there was suddenly a surplus of cheap housing? Or fewer jobs in the mills, because of conversion to a war economy?

I can guess the reasons for people returning from Canada, but the flit to Blackpool does have me puzzled.
It was the perception that the air in Blackpool was cleaner and fresher. My dad used to swear blind that his annual week's holiday in St Annes cleared all his blocked tubes because "the air was like wine".

Maybe if he's stopped smoking his 40 Capstan full strength every day, he might have felt better without having to go to the coast!

Last edited by gynn; 22-08-2011 at 21:57.
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 21:57   #60
God Member

Very Good, Rindy - but do you really think the hard working people of Accy & Church (forget about the Ossy scoundrels) would care, having paid their hard-earned 3/9d, would care about which fool turned on the lights?The same applies today.

Last edited by Tealeaf; 22-08-2011 at 21:59.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..