Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-08-2011, 22:42   #76
Give, give, give member

Re: Blackpool Illuminations Switch On

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Yeh been using jaysays spellcheck?
No, it's this damned key-board, sticking again.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-08-2011, 22:46   #77
God Member

By the way, did anyone know that Blackpool Airport was the first one in the UK to run flights for fare-paying passengers?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 22:48   #78
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
By the way, did anyone know that Blackpool Airport was the first one in the UK to run flights for fare-paying passengers?
.....and that is relevant to Accrington because......?
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 22:54   #79
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Yes, we did.

We also know that the pilot used to announce to the passengers,
'Scream if you want to go faster.'
As he dipped the plane towards the muddy brine of the Irish Sea.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 23:06   #80
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
.....and that is relevant to Accrington because......?
It's not relevant whatsoever.....but I was not the one to start this stupid thread.

By the way - what's happened to Garinda? He reminds me of Colonel Gaddafi - when the heats on, he does a runner.
Old 22-08-2011, 23:24   #81
God Member

Quote:
Eric = Bee
Not quite Fermat's last theorem ... but obscure enough in its own simplistic way. Most likely the product of a simple mind.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 23:27   #82
Senior Member+

Quote:
It's not relevant whatsoever.....but I was not the one to start this stupid thread.
I've enjoyed this thread. Better than talking about gay sailors holed up in Church.

errr sorry......bad turn of phrase!
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 23:35   #83
God Member

interesting mention of the Russian ambassador turning on the lights during the 50s , seems Russia was still thought of as a workers 'utopia' in those days , remember my Grandma telling me of a big 'workers/Labour' rally at Manchester Free Trades Hall the featuring Bulganin or Molotov ... one of Stalins boys

Last edited by steeljack; 22-08-2011 at 23:38.
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 00:24   #84
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
interesting mention of the Russian ambassador turning on the lights during the 50s , seems Russia was still thought of as a workers 'utopia' in those days , remember my Grandma telling me of a big 'workers/Labour' rally at Manchester Free Trades Hall the featuring Bulganin or Molotov ... one of Stalins boys
It was 1955 the Russkie turned up, before the buggars went into Hungary the following year. We should have learned a lesson then, but what happened in 1957? We invited the US ambassador, one year after the Yanks - are so-called allies - had shafted us at Suez.

PS - for those of you who know nowt about history - which is most of you - the Suez campaign involved the UK retrieving one of it's oversea's assets. It was a bit like chasing a burglar and grabbing his swag bag, only to be told by the new cop on the block that what's in the bag was lawfully the burglars. The new cop, was of course, the Yanks and because of what happened we made a tactical withdrawal from Suez. Had we stuck around, there would have been no '67 war, no '73 war, no Hamas, no Gaddafi, no Ayatollah, no Locherbie, no Gulf War 1 and 2....oil would be at 50p a barrel and we wouldn't have the burka brigade taking up three out of every four beds in the maternity unit at Blackburn hospital.
Old 23-08-2011, 01:12   #85
God Member

Quote:

Had we stuck around, there would have been no '67 war, no '73 war, no Hamas, no Gaddafi, no Ayatollah, no Locherbie, no Gulf War 1 and 2....oil would be at 50p a barrel and we wouldn't have the burka brigade taking up three out of every four beds in the maternity unit at Blackburn hospital.
Was too young at the time to remember much about the events , and don't necessarily disagree with your views on Suez .... But after reading a bit about the period ... think the UK Govt. had bit off a bit more than they could chew with that adventure .... the country was nearly bankrupt and trying to rebuild bombed out cities and industries which required labour which was tied up in a conscript army fighting the Mau Mau (Barrack Hussien Obama's grandad), the Malay emergency (Britains Vietnam which we won due to the fact there were no embedded journalists), and also but not sure of the timeline Aden .. we also had the BAOR (sp?) taking up thousands of conscript manpower in Germany, and had only finished fighting in Korea a couple of years earlier .

re. the the Burka filled beds , if I'm not mistaken this , the 50's was the time the UK's doors were first opened to Commonwealth labour to fill the labour shortage partially created by having conscript filled armed forces . Not sure what the UK national birthrate was during the late 30's or early 40s times of economic depression and wartime but wouldn't have thought there were not that many young men available after the Armed Forces had taken them .... just my thoughts

sorry for thread wander
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 09:12   #86
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
People here get excited and giddy enough to stand in the Christmas drizzle, to watch some third rate licky-likey tribute act turn-on Accy's amazing Winter Lights Festival.

The Keith Lemon character will be a big draw in Blackpool.

Oddly, there are similarities.

Like you Teabag, he makes people laugh out loud, and is also a bit of a cult.

A bit of a cult, had to read that one twice Rindi
Old 23-08-2011, 09:15   #87
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Yeh been using jaysays spellcheck?
Ah you spotted it too hey cashy, shows we're both on the same wavelength mate
Old 23-08-2011, 09:16   #88
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
I've enjoyed this thread. Better than talking about gay sailors holed up in Church.

errr sorry......bad turn of phrase!
Ya but spot on gynn
Old 23-08-2011, 14:17   #89
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Its also surprising how many people from Greater Accrington, moved to live in Blackpool & St Annes during WW1. Quite a number of men service papers which show their next of kin address in Acc, are crossed out, and a new address in Blackpool written in. Many ex soldiers from Greater Acc, emigrated to Canada in the 1920's, many of them had returned by 1930's, jobs were just as hard to get in Canada as they were here.
Retlaw.
The attached photo shows my Great-Grandparents and their first 6 children taken outside their Blackpool guest house(you can just see the sign for "Vacancies" in the window. During WW1 while he worked in the mine and lived at Rock Mount (Altham West) she ran the guest house for soldiers (mainly Ghurkas) -my mum still has journals with her accounts. They returned to Accy after the war -presumably she made a nice living there but it must have been hard work with the young ones to look after too! (My Grandad John is the cute little boy center front)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grandad and Grandma at Blackpool with five children.jpg (520.3 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by mobertol; 23-08-2011 at 14:19. Reason: Added info
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 14:33   #90
God Member

To harp back to comments earlier in the thread by TeaLeaf about the relevance to Accrington and area of Blackpool - it was "the" Mecca for the Lancs working class for decades. In fact, if it hadn't been for a Wakes Week holiday my Grandparents would probably never have met -she was from Padiham and my Grandad from Accy, they met on one of the piers and I would imagine that many others followed suit -it was a great melting pot...
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..